The Rachel thread (1 Viewer)

300px-Campbells_Soup_Cans_MOMA.jpg

The USA's greatest cultural achievement

What about hip-hop?
And zombie films?

Yes but her assertion that she identifies as black gets scoffed at and she's called a mental case, if she confessed to identifying as male that'd be grand.
Trying to be as succinct as possible here:

Both race and gender map social behaviour onto physical attributes.

• Race is a falsehood that was invented to oppress people based on their skin colour. Other people decide what race you are.

• Gender is not a falsehood (although the narrowing down of it into two categories assigned at birth is). You (in an ideal world) get to choose what gender you are.

a bit of basic biology doesn't hurt either

you don't have the possibility as a zygote to turn into any ethnicity...you can however become male, female, or somewhere in between, by random chance

Well, I guess because gender dysphoria is a recognised medical condition affecting millions of people and Rachel Dolezal is a crazy lying lady saying dumb things.
So there's a false equivalency going on.

The fact that one is a recognised medical condition and the other isn't doesn't answer the question though does it?

I mean I could just restate my original question as "why is gender dysphoria a recognised condition when racial dysphoria isn't?".

I mean you could glibly say because one is real and the other isn't. But what's considered a real mental illness isn't an unalterable thing.

“My life has been one of survival outrageous lie” she continued, “and the decisions I have made along the way, including my identification, have been to survive lie.”

Trying to be as succinct as possible here:
Race is a falsehood that was invented to oppress people based on their skin colour. Other people decide what race you are.
I'm not buying that.

The falsehood is in using race as a reason for treating people differently. But different groups of humans have developed different characteristics just the same as different groups of any other animal.

And isn't the whole point here that other people are deciding for her what race she is?

I'm not buying that.
The falsehood is in using race as a reason for treating people differently.
What's the falsehood here? I assume we're in agreement that this happens.

But different groups of humans have developed different characteristics just the same as different groups of any other animal.
Race is the social behaviour and norms that are said to be a result of the physical attributes, not the physical attributes themselves. A lot of (most?) self-identifying African-Americans have European blood in their ancestory, so it's not a purely taxonomical term.

And isn't the whole point here that other people are deciding for her what race she is?
Well yeah, because that is how race works. She doesn't get to choose.

Gender is comparable to skin colour*, a lot of different shades going on there, gender is not comparable to race.

*(I think.... not gonna pretend this is easy)

a bit of basic biology doesn't hurt either

you don't have the possibility as a zygote to turn into any ethnicity...you can however become male, female, or somewhere in between, by random chance

Worth noting also that at some point in utero every human ever was "female" as that's how we start to develop. And some people who are born female are in possession of XY chromosomes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back