What movie did you watch last night? (44 Viewers)

I thought it was really good aside from the modern backing singer who had worked with Michael Jackson and all her own songs were beyond dreadful and she was proof positive that some people should stay backing singers.

But yeah, I thought it was really good.
I think there was a little too much cribbing in the end. I had come across the clip of Merry Clayton describing the Gimme Shelter session and it's such a great story and the way they play you the isolated vocal and then back to the original while the anecdote unfolds was just so well done. I expected the whole movie to be like that, so maybe that explains my disappointment a bit.

They do indeed.
Without being too facile the giant spider represents his burgeoning malevolence reflected back at him. Without knowing anything about the source material, the doppelgänger obviously traditionally is a harbinger of misfortune. Yer one who's preggers seems to reach out to the Adam character even though she seems to at least suspects who and what he is. Adam, for his part, seems ready for to take up Anthony's life. For a moment you half expect an upshot to the whole sorry affair - the mistreated wife gets a better version of her husband to start anew with child. But the lure of the darker side of his adopted existence will get the better of him (even if the transformation is unnaturally rapid in the movie real-time). The gigantic spider recoils from him rather than the other way around. He's becoming Anthony, he's been doomed all along as all the major characters have been. The symbol of the spider is of course of something dangerous, lethal and associated with a dark underbelly as set out at the beginning. It also hangs over them the whole movie, from the tops of the skyscrapers in the metropolis. There's no escaping it.

Could be wrong or only partially right but that was the gist of it for me. What you think?
couldn't have put it better myself

Totally feeling the Oscar Isaac love in but how about that Domhnall Gleeson chap? He has impressed the hell out me in everything I’ve seen him in.
Domhnall is great, does the everyman extremely well. Himself and Alicia Vikander have great chemistry going back to Anna Karenina. Seems like a bloody nice bloke as well, not least doing that Squarehead video with his bro out of the goodness of his heart.

Heading to see all the Gleeson's in the Walworth Farce next week.

A Most Violent Year - not quite the contemporary classic it was described as in the IT but good, solid stuff.

Totally feeling the Oscar Isaac love in but how about that Domhnall Gleeson chap? He has impressed the hell out me in everything I’ve seen him in.

Isaac is a blue chip movie star.
Gleeson is fine but limited.
Oscar can play the pimp and the cuckold, Domhnall is a cuckold for life.

Oh ok, I've literally never head the phrase "blue chip" before. But yes, he is!

dsc_0427.jpg

Isaac is a blue chip movie star.
Gleeson is fine but limited.
Oscar can play the pimp and the cuckold, Domhnall is a cuckold for life.
The cuckold is far too limited a word for Domhnall Gleeson as an actor. It is a rare thing indeed to be able to portray the everyman. To be flawed, relatable but still be multi-faceted. To be "good" without being nauseatingly heroic. Very few can do it and those that do usually become big stars. Tom Hanks is one. Mark Ruffalo more recently (although admittedly a cooler version of the same). Others fail miserably at it. Adrien Brody for example. That capability to be the still point of the turning world means the scope of the types of pictures you can be in is almost endless. We're already seeing it with Gleeson - from lo-fi, indie flicks (Frank, Sensation) to blockbusters (Harry Potter), to weird sci-fi (as above). period drama, it goes on.

The cuckold is far too limited a word for Domhnall Gleeson as an actor. It is a rare thing indeed to be able to portray the everyman. To be flawed, relatable but still be multi-faceted. To be "good" without being nauseatingly heroic. Very few can do it and those that do usually become big stars. Tom Hanks is one. Mark Ruffalo more recently (although admittedly a cooler version of the same). Others fail miserably at it. Adrien Brody for example. That capability to be the still point of the turning world means the scope of the types of pictures you can be in is almost endless. We're already seeing it with Gleeson - from lo-fi, indie flicks (Frank, Sensation) to blockbusters (Harry Potter), to weird sci-fi (as above). period drama, it goes on.

I don't hate Domhnall, but no one will pick him to reboot their Predator franchise like they did with Brody.
Isaac could do that and still anchor a Coen film.
Domhnall is a bit like Hanks. But only a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back