is it the olympics yet? (5 Viewers)

Any reflections on the opening ceremony?

(I'll read them tomorrow - off to the leaba now)

Cheers!

i thought it was really good.

apart from mccartney's backing tape fuckup, betty windsor looking bored and THAT GUY saluting the germans, the only thing i saw going wrong was two of the countdown balloons failed to burst at the start.

i thought it was really good.

apart from mccartney's backing tape fuckup, betty windsor looking bored and THAT GUY saluting the germans, the only thing i saw going wrong was two of the countdown balloons failed to burst at the start.

It was a big mess. Amy Winehouse? Come on.

African-Americans have higher rates of diabetes but it has nothing to do with metabolising salt or whatever. As a group their diet is generally high in the types of foods that trigger Type 2 diabetes, which is the one that you get because you're fat. Same goes with the heart problems.
Blacks tend to be poorer and have diets that are less healthy.
As for science, you'd need a control group brought over at the same time where no one died and fed the same diet. Without that, it's all speculation.

Culturally, the black community engages in sport as it is seen as a proven path to success.
Italian-Americans and Irish-Americans were great boxers when they were poor too. It had nothing to do with their trip over.

I simply don't buy the strongest-made-it-through argument. There are way too many other, more pertinent, factors.

A. The idea that italian and irish americans made great boxers falls into the same catergory as what the documentary said i.e the biggest and strongest thrived after they arrived in the U.S a sort of sporting natural selection

B. Mortality rates on coffin ships were around 30% which is around the same as slave ships so your kind of proving the point you're trying to debunk here.

C. Buy it or not your argument borders on racist and you have no scientific basis whatsoever and you misread the post I made in which I said there was a theory that the ability to metabalise salt more slowly lead to heart disease.

here's just one of the hundreds of links you can check out to find out more about who is studying what and why

http://digitaljournal.com/article/284667

and here are the other hundreds of links you can find for the heart problems theory.

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Cardiology/Atherosclerosis/11379

Your theory about poverty is nonsense, white people earn about $7000 more than black people on average in the U.S. This figure is repeated between male and female so your theory is that the less you earn the more likely you are to develop type two diabetes is ridiculous since men are twice as likely to develop it than women.

Missed the opening ceremony was it any use ?

392296_10151001582340852_631891758_n.jpg

clap clap clapclapclap clap clap clap clap GB!

enjoying it so far. synchronised swimming is relaxing to watch.
pity coverage for the road race was pure shit.

Synchronised diving was fucking class, Gymnatstics was a bit underwhelming from what I saw of it. Today I caught some of the swimming. The South African Lad that bet Phelps has been my highlight so far, he looked like he'd left his body when he realised he'd won.

how do you get to be one of the best badminton players in the world, and then think you can dick around the court on the world stage and not get pulled up for it?

derh, i meant diving. twirl twirl twirl...splish.
couldnt get into the Brits v Brazil football last night. swimming was great tho, and the badminton highlights on rte. irish girl was decent.

For some reason, a lot of the sports in this olympics are really annoying me, more than they ever have before. I use the word 'sport' loosely. I've come to the conclusion that any sport which requires a panel of judges to identify the winner is not a sport. This includes all gymnastics, synchro swimming, diving, dressage (or any sport involving non-humans). You could even extend this to boxing.

These events are obviously a legacy of times gone by, but why should they continue in the olympics? It should be about who can run/swim fastest, jump highest, score more points than their opponents. If gymnastics is an olympic sport, then why not break-dancing, or drama? The fact that there used to be medals for poetry etc kinda reinforces my point.

Am I being too curmudgeonly? (Always wanted to use that word)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back