is it the olympics yet? (1 Viewer)

Half our boxers are from Belfast. I suppose you can choose who to represent, or is it the same deal there?

basically, yes. Its to do with the respective federations and the support and funding they have. The boxing would be well funded and of an extremely high standard. Other sports, such as rowing, wouldn't necessarily be so nordies would be better off going with the brits and coming through their training programme.

I wonder are there more nordies with Ireland than with the brits. We certainy have lots. Several of the track athletes, the swimmers, and the boxers. Loads.

i was interested to learn that in ping "table tennis" pong, we compete as the island of Ireland because the ping pong association is cross border. I expect it would be the same for rugby.

As far as I know pretty much every sport bar football is governed by an all island body. It's certainly true of rugby, athlethics, cricket, hockey, table tennis (apparently), judo, boxing, golf*. Perhaps there's a Northern Ireland rhythmic gymnastics team or something.

* People seem to think that McIlroy will represent "Team GB" (why not Team UK, bit exclusionary) in 2016.

i'd say most people up north would be able to use the grandfather rule to declare for ireland anyway.

everyone up north is entitled to hold an Irish passport (part of the good friday agreement I think) so there'd be no need to use that rule. And I don't think its an either/or thing. I think people can have both passports.

everyone up north is entitled to hold an Irish passport (part of the good friday agreement I think)

More to do with the fact that we recognise anyone born there as being Irish, no?

I mean the passport eligibility is as old as the State itself, I would have thought.

Could be wrong.

More to do with the fact that we recognise anyone born there as being Irish, no?

I mean the passport eligibility is as old as the State itself, I would have thought.

Could be wrong.

Yes, but it was amended in 1998

Nevertheless, Irish citizenship continued to be extended to the inhabitants of Northern Ireland for over 40 years, representing, according to Ó Caoindealbháin, "one of the few practical expressions of the Irish state’s irredentism." Ó Caoindealbháin concludes, however, that the Good Friday Agreement of 1998 altered significantly the territorial implications of Irish citizenship law, if somewhat ambiguously, via two key provisions: the renunciation of the constitutional territorial claim over Northern Ireland, and the recognition of “the birthright of all the people of Northern Ireland to identify themselves and be accepted as Irish or British or both, as they may so choose”, and that “their right to hold both British and Irish citizenship is accepted by both Governments".

everyone up north is entitled to hold an Irish passport (part of the good friday agreement I think) so there'd be no need to use that rule. And I don't think its an either/or thing. I think people can have both passports.

you can have both but not at the same time, and you can change too i think. some odd by law made some of my mates brits, who later wanted irl's just because its what they consider themselves to be.

passport office does not accept photo's with balaclava's, incidentally.

i know one of the athletes who would have been able to make the choice. grew up for most of their life in the north, but their father is from the 26 counties and they spent the first few years of their life growing up in ireland.

of course you can have two if you are born in the north. You always could do because of the Irish territorial claim, and now because of the Northern Ireland Act, as Scutter pointed out. I have held two simultaneously at various times in my life.

States have discretion in granting citizenship - for example, everyone who ever spied for the Soviets in the west had secret Soviet citizenship so they couldn't be executed if caught. Dual nationality is common in many parts of the world. The only exception is that some states insist that you renounce any pre-existing citizenship when naturalising in that country, the USA, for example. So if you're born an American you can go and get citizenship elsewhere, but if you come from elsewhere and want to become American, you have to renounce.

It's possible that Ireland operates the American style system, which would perhaps be why Ann Post's mate had to renounce UK citizenship first. I don't know. I wonder if all those footballers had to renounce British citizenship. I sort of doubt it. But I do know that the UK has no such requirement (part of my job is advising and representing people applying for naturalisation in London).

Mary Peters would not have had Irish citizenship, as she wasn't born on the island of Ireland, but I don't doubt she could have applied for it successfully had it been necessary.

Apparently the support for Katie Taylor in the boxing yesterday had the highest decibel count of the Olympics. That's quite a feat.
Ole ole

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back