The Household Charge (1 Viewer)

one of my shinner mates (i'm from donegal, you just end up having shinner mates here full stop) posted a solicitors letter recently saying that legally if you dont register you are not liable to pay. i'll have a look for it, but cant verify wether it is real or true. on the other hand i really have no wish nor intention to pay it. the council have both manipulated our estate and have stalled on the maintenance, so we've been paying private firms for that in the meantimes.

supposedly, yeah. At least I heard the same thing you did.

Who knows though. Other than the odd news story here and there I have no real clue what the story is.

The best one I heard was that when the govt came out and said it was only 2 euro a week, people started asking for a way to pay it weekly. Cos at the moment you can't

as someone asked on the irish times letters page, that since technically the bank own your house if you have a mortgage (they hold the title deeds), should they not be paying?

Apparently you will not get a household charge because the bill is a statute ie. an Act of Government. That means it will only effect the force of law if you agree to sign the register. If you do consent to this and sign the register then you are legally obliged to pay the household charge. By not doing so then your inaction gives you a stance of no consent, therefore the statute cannot affect you. If you do register then you agreeing to this statute which is a legal contract. Perhaps this is why the goverment is keen for us to register for the household charge. I won't be registering.

Still I won't be paying. I think this is a great opportunity to for us to finally make a statement of some kind. We are not very good at protests so lets just not pay and fuck em.

On another note ,fair play to Putin for vetoing the UN last week.

tick, tick, tick

10 days to go before we become criminals.

Have to say I'm enjoying the debates about this. The govt have made such a mess of it. Gilmore coming out today saying you can pay in the post office, whereas you clearly can't. They're printing loads and loads of leaflets to send around to everyone's house, but none being delivered.

I sense a bit of a u-turn on the way. If not relating to the payment of the charge then at least the deadline.

300,000 households have now paid. I think thats around 20% or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back