Random Photos (1 Viewer)

4218244836_1035eed2ee.jpg
That's some pretty serious bokeh. The gold and red are lovely too. What are you doing to these things in photoshop?

If memory serves me correctly Lala is not mad on doing too much in Photoshop.
While I'm not into that style of pictures she does (abstract?) this one as you described is pretty good.

That's some pretty serious bokeh. The gold and red are lovely too. What are you doing to these things in photoshop?

*grits teeth*

i don't use photoshop, ever. don't know how, don't want to!

but it worries me that some of my photos might look like they have been fiddled with, cos none of them have. straight from card to flickr.

-if people want to know how I got a shot, best thing is to look at the properties of said pic on flickr - it'll prob tell you more than I could :)

*grits teeth*

but it worries me that some of my photos might look like they have been fiddled with, cos none of them have. straight from card to flickr.

-if people want to know how I got a shot, best thing is to look at the properties of said pic on flickr - it'll prob tell you more than I could :)

could swear you've upping the saturation on one or two in iPhoto
!ninjaaaa

*grits teeth*

I wouldn't get too concerned with whether they look fiddled or not. They're high contrast digital images they're always going to look a little photoshopped because mostly people just use photoshop to up the contrast anyway.

I'm impressed by how the different light sources (tungsten and mostly halogen in these last few I'd guess) turns out on your camera, it usually looks pretty awful I'm assuming you're using a little bounced or extremely softened flash? If not I'm even more impressed.

could swear you've upping the saturation on one or two in iPhoto
!ninjaaaa

why, because they've got good colour? you achieve that by LOTS of trial and error - and my most colourful pics are taken with the 50mm at a very low aperture (and with a varying shutter speed depending on the light). i don't see why some people assume the contrast or colour has been altered after the fact when it's easy enough to get good results if you practice. and I have. I decided when I got the camera that I wanted to invest lots of time into trying to get the right 'look' there and then without post processing. it's a personal preference, some people are happy to PP, I'd rather not. So I don't.
a few years ago I did, sure, (on iPhoto) before I ever got the nikon, when I was using a simple point and shoot. since then, nope. anyway, I stopped using iPhoto even before I got the nikon because my mac didn't have enough memory any more.

I wouldn't get too concerned with whether they look fiddled or not. They're high contrast digital images they're always going to look a little photoshopped because mostly people just use photoshop to up the contrast anyway.

I'm impressed by how the different light sources (tungsten and mostly halogen in these last few I'd guess) turns out on your camera, it usually looks pretty awful I'm assuming you're using a little bounced or extremely softened flash? If not I'm even more impressed.

actually i always had an aversion to using the flash on my camera so would just push the ap and shutter down and hope for the best. having a good light source nearby helps loads. However, I used the flash properly for the first time this weekend and was delighted with the results. I'll post them soon - got a heap of pics to load from the last few days.

i would like to learn more about bounce and all that, have seen some amazing pics on flickr where it's been applied, and I think it's the next stage of photography I'd like to learn. luckily I have a day coming up this month where I get to work with the photographers in work, hopefully going on jobs with them, and you know I'm gonna have a huge list of questions to ask!

i try to avoid photoshop. mainly because i find it tedious - worst job i had was a four hour session of removing footprints from sand.

plus, i hate flash.

why, because they've got good colour? you achieve that by LOTS of trial and error - and my most colourful pics are taken with the 50mm at a very low aperture (and with a varying shutter speed depending on the light). i don't see why some people assume the contrast or colour has been altered after the fact when it's easy enough to get good results if you practice. and I have. I decided when I got the camera that I wanted to invest lots of time into trying to get the right 'look' there and then without post processing. it's a personal preference, some people are happy to PP, I'd rather not. So I don't.
a few years ago I did, sure, (on iPhoto) before I ever got the nikon, when I was using a simple point and shoot. since then, nope. anyway, I stopped using iPhoto even before I got the nikon because my mac didn't have enough memory any more.

was just wondering because they do look that good!

You can adjust the saturation/contrast in camera too which some people do so they can go straight from card to a photo hosting site ala pixie/flickr.

I find half the fun is using PP in Lightroom and sure I go overboard at times but thats the stage I'm at.

As for flash I think it's essential in small clubs/pubs for gigs.
Even if you have good light the pics are all samey with non flash, tedious to say the least.
The last gig I shot of Paranoid Visions I used about 60% flash and 40% non...
But overall I prefer flash....

I've just started messing about with using Flash (after avoiding it for years) and now I think, if you learn how to use it right (which I haven't done yet), it's brilliant and even essential. The main reason people can dislike it, is the effect that you get when the flash is mounted on the camera, pointing at the subject, which is often not great - and 90% of the time that's what "using flash" means. Much more interesting effects can be got by either bouncing it off something or else having it completely off-camera.

However, I picked up this old monster of a Metz flash a few weeks ago along with metal bracket for attaching your camera it to the left of your camera and carrying the whole rig around two-handed - Weegee style. I have to go into town some night and try and find some crime scenes.

I was watching some film from the 70s the other night and there was a reporters with camera scene and yeah the flash was at the side.

I've just started messing about with using Flash (after avoiding it for years) and now I think, if you learn how to use it right (which I haven't done yet), it's brilliant and even essential. The main reason people can dislike it, is the effect that you get when the flash is mounted on the camera, pointing at the subject, which is often not great - and 90% of the time that's what "using flash" means. Much more interesting effects can be got by either bouncing it off something or else having it completely off-camera.

However, I picked up this old monster of a Metz flash a few weeks ago along with metal bracket for attaching your camera it to the left of your camera and carrying the whole rig around two-handed - Weegee style. I have to go into town some night and try and find some crime scenes.

I had one of them for all of a month and decided it was way too big. Still haven't bought a decent flash since. When I have to use flash I use the little on board flash on the camera as generally quite weak and not too intrusive.

Diffusers are a must have with flash, even a bit of tissue over the flash works wonders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back