Random Photos (5 Viewers)

oh i wasnt having a go about it and it wasnt aimed at you personally(i know it was addessed as such but didnt mean it that way) i noticed other people do it too,just happened to be looking at your pics when the thought crossed my mind.guess its just me that would be too nervous to take some strangers pic like that :)

4152180640_034c4826f2_o.jpg

VERE IST DERE TIMEMACHINE?

oh i wasnt having a go about it and it wasnt aimed at you personally(i know it was addessed as such but didnt mean it that way) i noticed other people do it too,just happened to be looking at your pics when the thought crossed my mind.guess its just me that would be too nervous to take some strangers pic like that :)

i see what you mean. it can be a little stomach churning, it's trial and error I suppose.

Last time I tried to take a pic of a stranger was when I was walking in and around Sheriff St, and a gang of lads threatened me and called me a guard, a snitch and a cunt.
I find it really hard to take pics of strangers though, generally speaking. I know that I've missed out on a lot of really good photo's because of it, so it's a pity that I don't have the balls to do it.

I think it's possibly easier to take pics of strangers when you're in a foreign place. Certainly you're more inclined to take pics of people when you're in a strange place and people seem strange and interesting, though really they're no more strange or interesting than anyone else. Maybe that's why the well-travelled likes of LaLa have these pics. I dunno, photography, it's mad altogether.

Learning to take pictures of strangers in Sheriff street wasn't exactly the best place to start.
Dublin 4 would be a tad easier.

Janer, you're better at taking pics of Proper Dubs than I am. You're quite good at it actually.

BUT, well..I didn't say it was the first time I took pics of strangers, I said it was the last time I took pics of strangers.
I wasn't actually taking pics of the guys who came after me, they were just fellas who said "There's someone not from Sheriff st, let's shout at him!!" And to be honest I don't think I don't think I'd want to take pics of D4 types..the horror....the horror.

really?i imagine i'd get very worked up if some stranger took my photo...

Ah no, I was joking!

It's fairly problematic all right for all sorts of reasons - deciding whether you want the subject to know you are doing it or not, technical issues about how to actually do it, moral/ethical issues about voyeurism and ownership of image and so on.

I haven't done a lot of it, but decided a while ago I needed to try and do it - I was looking at the work of a lot of street photographers like Winogrand and so on and wanted to "have a go". It's much easier to do in situations where people expect there to be people with cameras walking around e.g. parades, demonstrations, gigs, etc. It's much harder in situations that are less crowded and less likely for there to be people with cameras e.g. Sheriff Street :)

On the few occasions I was "snared" I would smile at the person in a kind of a winking complicit way and they were usually okay about it. Or else, I would just run off.

BUT, well..I didn't say it was the first time I took pics of strangers, I said it was the last time I took pics of strangers.
I wasn't actually taking pics of the guys who came after me, they were just fellas who said "There's someone not from Sheriff st, let's shout at him!!"
I was tongue in cheek...mostly.
When I did my Halloween set I too had to leg it pretty quickly from O'Devaney Gardens after a few of the young whippersnappers basically said the same.

http://pix.ie/punkrock/album/359446

These Polish boozers were in my flats so I went over to them and said if I give ya a few smokes can I take a few pics, they were very polite so I gave them a few cheap bottles of Lidl beer!

I don't always take this approach mind, I do like taking sneaky pics too as you get a better 'feel' of Street Photography IMO.

Maybe start of with a compact Camera til you get more experience with a DSLR?

Some fantastic compacts out there to be had.

Maybe start of with a compact Camera til you get more experience with a DSLR?

Some fantastic compacts out there to be had.

this is a very good point and probably has alot to do with why there was such a concentration of people pics when I was in HK - it was because I was using a point and shoot. Since upgrading to a DSLR it's that much more obvious when you aim it at someone.

Yeah I think SLR (D or not) are a bit of a disaster for this kind of thing. I dunno what's best in the digital world, but for film, a nice compact little rangefinder with a wide lens and aperture-priority exposure that you can pre-focus is the business.

AHEM, I belief I've had a DSLR longer than you, Punk Rock!
But yes, a compact is on my xmas list.
Yeah I know, I am only shooting less then 2 years.
I re-read what I said and I obviously meant more confidence shooting people with a smaller Camera ala a compact, my name is Janer :p

i missed jonah's train track one before,where was it taken?i :heart: trains,you should have got more of the switch in ;)
la la-whats the deal with photos of random people?dont they mind?:confused:
Just saw this now, Poland mon cherie, Poland!

Not these trains.. Those are the train tracks going into Auschwitz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back