Random Photos (1 Viewer)

*grits teeth*

i don't use photoshop, ever. don't know how, don't want to!

but it worries me that some of my photos might look like they have been fiddled with, cos none of them have. straight from card to flickr.

-if people want to know how I got a shot, best thing is to look at the properties of said pic on flickr - it'll prob tell you more than I could :)

is their any particular reason? (not being smart, just being curious). do you crop even?
i'd agree that sloppily applied and over the top photoshop can look awful, but Ive no problem with subtle (colour balance, slight crop, maybe some sight burning/dodging) photoshoppery -basically I dont like doing more than id do with a neg in the darkroom.
(good recent pics btw!)

i'd agree that sloppily applied and over the top photoshop can look awful, but Ive no problem with subtle (colour balance, slight crop, maybe some sight burning/dodging) photoshoppery -basically I dont like doing more than id do with a neg in the darkroom.

Exactly how I feel. I pretty much only use the raw editor these days.

some new years day snowy fun...not high art, but worth it for the novelty factor!
sq.jpg

tr.jpg

st.jpg

*grits teeth*

i don't use photoshop, ever. don't know how, don't want to!

but it worries me that some of my photos might look like they have been fiddled with, cos none of them have. straight from card to flickr.

-if people want to know how I got a shot, best thing is to look at the properties of said pic on flickr - it'll prob tell you more than I could :)
Don't understand why i made you grit your teeth, if you've gone to all the trouble of learning how to do your photoshop type stuff in the camera instead of with photoshop, then my question should be a compliment. My main reason for asking was the way the light falls off in that particular pic looks like some sort of vignetting. Add that with the unusually vivid colors and it suggested (to me) some photoshopping. No offence intended.

I think extremely open apperture (f1.8 etc) can sometimes result in a similar effect to vignetting and it would be nice if the digital ISO was similar to film ISO, as you go higher the contrast rises you'll have to ask La La about her settings and her camera.

is their any particular reason? (not being smart, just being curious). do you crop even?
(good recent pics btw!)

I'm trying to think of a reason....I think my attitude to digital photography changed when I finally managed to get that dslr.
i figured I had this great tool that already had the capability to do heaps of things - just learn how I can use it, practice loads and milk it for all it's worth and get the pics I want that way.
it's worth remembering that I shoot lots of lemons before finally getting and selecting (what I think are) the plums. i'll try and crop there and then by zooming in and out and reworking the frame - like I said earlier, i haven't been able to use iPhoto in a few years because it's full, so if there's a rogue somethingorother in a picture that could have been cropped, it'll stay there.

THAT SAID one of the things I found most interesting during that GoP darkroom course I did a few years ago was all that burning and darkening stuff, but i've sadly not been in a darkroom since then....I always brought my rolls to Gunns. I'm keen to take the nikon fm out for a spin soon as I've not shot a roll in a while (I was on the outs with that camera after my entire new york roll came out blank :eek: )

-just saw washingcattle's comment.

this is why these forums come in handy. maybe last year I posted a pic I'd seen with lovely vignetting, asked around here how people think he achieved it, some said low ap, so I went about trying that myself and finally with this pic think I got something like that effect.

so yeah, discussion/tip sharing definitely comes in handy

With film you really need Photoshop/darkroom. If I was you I'd get out all your old Gunns Negs and have the best ones scanned then use photoshop as a (slightly) cheaper darkroom to get the most out of your negs. I do agree with your attitude towards getting the exposure/framing right in camera as opposed to photoshopping. You'll be off to Dusselldorf to hang with the Bechers.

Don't understand why i made you grit your teeth, if you've gone to all the trouble of learning how to do your photoshop type stuff in the camera instead of with photoshop, then my question should be a compliment. My main reason for asking was the way the light falls off in that particular pic looks like some sort of vignetting. Add that with the unusually vivid colors and it suggested (to me) some photoshopping. No offence intended.

I understand, I guess I don't see adjusting the aperture and shutter speed as doing photoshop stuff with my camera. There and then I had a 30 second window to get that 'plum' picture because the streetcar stopped and someone got on. I'd already taken about two lemons, so I had to work very quickly getting my shutter and ap just right before the opportunity evaporated. I think there's a difference to that than taking one of the lemons and, at my leisure, altering the levels after the fact to make it look the way I wanted. But as I've said before, each to their own, it's a personal preference thing.

When i said about on camera photoshop I'd assumed you were adjusting the contrast and saturation on camera, if you're getting colors like that on the normal setting then i take my hat off to you.

I've tried to do this a couple of times - I've been trying to figure out what combination of slight under exposure and saturation is making to colours on your pics so vibrant - never managed to see your detailed settings though - I think you need to set something in your flickr account so people can see all of the settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back