Losing Weight (2 Viewers)

He should drink some hot water, man up and fit thumped into his schedule

i shouldnt offer advice on things i know nothing about but... i think the doctor was right - you do have to get your heart rate up a bit to get the value out of your exercise. strolling along waterfront is nice though.

I'm not a doctor either but if you're overweight and walk for two hours, no matter what the pace, you're heart rate will be up. Not to mention any additional movement is technically exercise. Small steps is all I was pointing out. If someone said to me start running today. Yeah, maybe I'd do it but damned if I'd do it again that week. I'd probably cough up a lung. Then again I'm a lazy bint.

Running is horrific, i tried it a few times last year. My alternative strategy emphasises the importance of selecting an activity that one enjoys and offers a practical means to make this activity a central feature of a healthier more active lifestyle.

a mate of mine started losing weight when his then girlfriend started on weight watchers. he had been swiming for years but was still very chubby. anyway, he just changed the way he ate. he cut out the crap and continued with the swimming. and he ate pretty well too, loads of nice dinners. he never actually went to weight watchers but he still managed to keep the weitgh off. when she left weight watches the pounds were back on very quickly.

anyway, he married someone very skinny over the summer there.

Well the doctor suggested running and I told him right out that that wasn't going to happen. I have friends who haven't got an ounce of fat on their bodies whose knees are kaput from running so I'm not going near it.

Low carb is a good way of losing weight fast. so basically no potatoes, bread, biscuits, fruit, junk food etc and most difficult - no beer if possible.

It might sound unhealthy to say no fruit but there are lots of low carb veg you can eat. Add in some exercise and you will be doing well.

After you reach a weight you are happy with then graduate to a sensible carb diet.

That's just one way I guess of many different strategies.

thats atkins stuff there.

If you do low carbs, be careful. You need to get energy from somewhere, especially if you decide to exercise.

Low carbs is a good way to lose weight quickly but essentially your body eats itself. Its an unsustainable way of weight loss though. Low carbs long term is not an option.

A balanced lifestyle is the way to go.

On average a guy will burn 2500 calories a day. Thats without doing anything exceptional. That goes up once some activity is factored in. The trick is to keep your calorie intake below the level burned. Easy really.

Someone heavier than one of an average weight will burn a whole lot more than this. Thus, I reckon losing weight for a heavy person is more of a mental challenge than a physical one. Once they get resolve enough to actually go and do it, the weight will fly off.

Here's how I lost a good bit of weight recently:
Only wholewheat bread, pasta and brown rice.
No biscuits with tea.
No crisps.
No chocolate or sweets.
No fast food after pints.
No eating at night time.
Some cycling.

And that's it. Then I injured my back and took that as a reason to have some comforting sweets and biscuits. Bad move! But I'm knuckling down again now.

Once you get into it, running is actually good fun, but each to their own. It's a bastard if you try and do too much too quickly and the key is instead of breaking yourself once a week to just get in the habit of doing a little bit regularly. This is great and not too hard at all: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

The reason I like it are it's free, doesn't require any equipment except shoes, doesn't involve team sports (vom!), you can listen to music/podcasts while you do it, and crucially, I can go from sofa -> run -> back to sofa in about 45 minutes.

As regards losing big amounts of weight and keeping it off, I have a friend here who lost about 60lbs a few years ago and has kept it off since. He puts it down to cutting out fizzy drinks and processed food, and getting really interested in food and cooking. He still eats a ton and drinks a lot* but he basically just doesn't eat any processed or pre-prepared food.

the best health tip i got was from a money saving book..... it said 'fruit and veg is cheaper and more benificial then anything else in a supermarket, when shopping go to that section of the store first, then if you have space left over go to the other parts of the store'

Drink 2 litres of water a day. Most of the time when people feel hungry it's because they are actually thirsty. They will eat to get the water from food, or so I was told. Plus you need fresh water to flush water out of your system. If you're all bloated, headachey and feeling crap you'll do nothing. Drink water, feel better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back