Radioheads flicks the iFinger to iTunes (1 Viewer)

tis ok. first track to really jump out at me was All I Need. Thought the synth at the start sounded a little cheap or something but the way the track builds up around it is great!

think the production is a little weak on the album tho, especially the drums. that said i can only hear out of one ear at the mo and i'm listening off a laptop. time go burn the cd properly. hopefully it'll sound a bit better then

my worries about the mp3 quality have abated. i reckon they've gone to a big effort to master it for this bitrate, i think i'll be pretty hard pushed to tell the difference between this and the CD on anything other than a hi-end system

i think the production is tremendous, lovely and direct, whole lot less murky than the last one

my worries about the mp3 quality have abated. i reckon they've gone to a big effort to master it for this bitrate, i think i'll be pretty hard pushed to tell the difference between this and the CD on anything other than a hi-end system

i think the production is tremendous, lovely and direct, whole lot less murky than the last one

my main thought was that it seemed a little thin or something but it's really probably down to listening to it on my laptop. bit hasty of me to post that comment really

Its nice. Very immediate stuff..sound real clever moments, the start of Nude is beautiful..haven't listened to it all yet..but I'm gonna stick my head out and say its better than Hail to The Thief

Second listen. Nice album but I've decided I won't listen to it again. My brain has become resistant to Radiohead. It gives me no feelings.

would a higher bit rate, flac or some other lossless file be feasible if they released it as a torrent? they could do that couldnt they if they dont insist on you paying? you could still contribute if you wanted. sorry, i should read the first 17 pages...

Stellar work from Colin throughout the album.

Anyone get a Nick Drake feeling off Faust Arp? I think it's the strings.

totally agree re: Nick Drake.

Anyone spot the nod to "Shes A Rainbow" by the Stones?

heard a news report about the http://www.whatpricedidyouchoose.com In Rainbows price survey yesterday on the BBC (5 Live) .

Paul Scaife, from Record of the Day was interviewed and he said that the average price chosen was £4.00 so far from a few thousand submissions.

That's about $8 US dollars or about €7.00 euros..which is bloody good.

the survey is still open for a few days...it'll be interesting to see the results. I bet the Irish average price is on the low side.

totally agree re: Nick Drake.

Anyone spot the nod to "Shes A Rainbow" by the Stones?

heard a news report about the http://www.whatpricedidyouchoose.com In Rainbows price survey yesterday on the BBC (5 Live) .

Paul Scaife, from Record of the Day was interviewed and he said that the average price chosen was £4.00 so far from a few thousand submissions.

That's about $8 US dollars or about €7.00 euros..which is bloody good.

the survey is still open for a few days...it'll be interesting to see the results. I bet the Irish average price is on the low side.

Nah, I reckon the average Irish price will hold up well compared to the rest of Europe at least. I'm reckoning the average Spanish will be lowest in western europe...

just gave it a hungover listen this morning..some really nice tracks, a couple forgettable ones too.
gonna be interesting to find out what people decided to pay too.

A blockbuster for Radiohead's "In Rainbows"?

story.jpg

The British music Web site Gigwise is reporting that Radiohead has sold 1.2 million digital copies of its latest album, "In Rainbows," since sales began on Tuesday. If true (and that might be a big "if"; see below), the number would be a blow-out, suggesting the wisdom of the band's decision to sell its wares directly to fans without the aid of a record label.
The figure dwarfs first-week sales of Radiohead's recent studio albums. "Hail to the Thief," released in 2003, racked up 300,000 sales in its first week; "Amnesiac" managed 231,000 copies in 2001; and "Kid A" hit 207,000 in 2000.
A million copies of "In Rainbow" would also beat recent big albums put out the traditional way. Bruce Springsteen's "Magic" hit No. 1 on the Billboard chart this week by selling just 335,000 copies.
And remember the Kanye West vs. 50 Cent album showdown of last month? Mr. West's album "Graduation," one of the most highly anticipated releases of the year, won that fight with 957,000 in first-week sales, compared to 691,000 for Mr. Cent.
Caveats galore: All numbers for traditional album sales here come from Nielsen Soundscan, which compiles sales data from retail locations and online digital stores. Gigwise says it got its "In Rainbows" number from "a source close to the band." It's hard to know what that means, because the band and its management have refused, so far, to disclose numbers, and they won't be providing any to Soundscan (and thus the album won't make the Billboard charts).
Moreover, of course, Radiohead is allowing fans to pick their price for the album, and the band hasn't given any indication of what fans have been paying. If people are paying nothing or next to nothing, huge sales won't amount to much.
But we may have a clue. The British music newsletter Record of the Day conducted a poll of 3,000 purchasers of the album. People paid an average price of £4, about $8, the newsletter found.
Because the band isn't working with a record label, it gets to keep all that money. If it had sold its songs instead on iTunes, it would likely have seen less than $1.50 per album.
Which means that if all these numbers are right -- 1.2 million units at $8 each -- Thom Yorke and his pals are seeing a lot of green right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back