meltbannana (1 Viewer)

the strange guy said:
Believe it or not, not everyone has the time to become read-up on every subject worth protesting about. I might know a fair bit about the Iraq war (Half from official news sources, the other half from websites, pamphlets, my own opinions etc.) but I know fuck all about the protest outside the Greek embassy, Croatian embassy, Polish embassy, Chinese embassy etc. Having certain viewpoints doesn't mean that you have to know absolutely everything concerning that viewpoint.
i realise that, there's plenty of stuff i don't know enough about, it's overwhelming how many worthwhile things there are to get involved with, you'd have to spend all day every day to try to get the details. i don't have enough time either. doesn't mean you don't try.

the strange guy said:
The Bin Tax is an example. People have asked me why I didn't show up at the protests and I told them its because I believe the bin tax can be a good thing; and they look quite taken aback, like I *should* care because that's what people like us do! .
this could start a huuuge argument. without knowing anything about the bin tax i had the vague idea that it was a good thing, in that people would throw away less if they were paying for it. it wasn't till sandy dragged me to the bin tax talk at the last grassroots that i got some kind of understanding of the situation. i think it's one of the most important protests in ireland in years. and the government just spent millions on those ridiculous adverts blaming rubbish on householders, when 83% of waste generated is industrial waste... <sigh>

it's not about some lifestyler idea of what you should or shouldn't be righteous and indignant about, it's bandwagoneering to think you have to care because of how you dress or who your mates are. that's bullshit. find out the facts and make up your own mind.
obviously.

Ah I won't go into the bin tax here, this thread's taken too many tangents already.

it's not about some lifestyler idea of what you should or shouldn't be righteous and indignant about, it's bandwagoneering to think you have to care because of how you dress or who your mates are. that's bullshit. find out the facts and make up your own mind.
obviously.
I agree, but it doesn't work like that. I find, for a group of people who pride themselves in their uniqueness and diversity 'from the mainstream', there's a massive amount of homogeneity. Diversion from 'punk ideals' or even your peer's ideals is frowned upon, yet punk is a scene where being different is an asset. It's a paradox.

No, let's talk about your avatar. Somewhere between beautiful and disturbing. You look like my da in it, but with less hair.

Liiadain said:
No, let's talk about your avatar. Somewhere between beautiful and disturbing. You look like my da in it, but with less hair.
Blame Pete Brady, he made me do it. Said he would pay his bin tax if I didn't put it up
It's a photo from my honeymoon, in Donegal in 1996 - shit if I looked old then you should see me know.

Where do you want to start? Do you think that by not paying a tax, people will suddenly become more aware about what can be recycled? I don't think so. I understand that people are being charged disproportionately, compared to those producing industrial waste, but the idea is a good one. I think it's pretty steep price, but that's not a reason to go and get arrested. Nothing's cheap here anymore. You can't even go for an unplanned pint without making mental calculations about how it'll change your spending habits for the next week. It's shit, but I'm not going to make a placard and a slogan.
Not every change needs to begin with industry and filter down to normal 'citizens'. By changing people's minds at home, the lessons learnt should (hopefully) be reflected in industry. I don't think it's a perfect system by any means, but it is definitely a step in the right direction and will do more good than harm to the environment.
People (as usual) just see the money side to it. Yes it's very expensive, but so's organic tofu. If you don't want to pay, separate all of your rubbish, bring it to the recycling center and bring the rest to a skip or someone elses bin. Everyone here knows if you buy items while making a conscious decision to avoid excessive packaging, there's not much you -can't- recycle. But don't let that get in the way of a good protest!

Cormcolash said:
Haha, that photograph looks like its straight out of Father Ted!
It's from his "Eoin McLove" period.

Which was sometime after his being chased around Dun Laoghaire by schoolgirls convinced he was George Clooney phase.

No, really.

i think it's one of the most important protests in ireland in years. and the government just spent millions on those ridiculous adverts blaming rubbish on householders, when 83% of waste generated is industrial waste...
Up until the last few months, people just put their rubbish in a bin, stuck it outside and it disappeared. The problem wasn't their's anymore. It might as well have vanished. That's not a healthy state of mind to be in if you're in anyway concerned about mother earth maaaaaan.
At the risk of pissing away what little anarcho-credibility I have, I think that the government making people more aware about what they throw away is good and very important. Before, no one gave a shit, but now, bins and rubbish is a widely debated topic. I don't understand, however, all of the black-clad anarchists insisting that the government take away their rubbish for free, because they don't want to deal with it. Is there any logic to someone who believes themselves as autonomous and free, but will get in a huff (and mask up) if their rulers don't clean up after them?

the strange guy said:
I find, for a group of people who pride themselves in their uniqueness and diversity 'from the mainstream', there's a massive amount of homogeneity. Diversion from 'punk ideals' or even your peer's ideals is frowned upon, yet punk is a scene where being different is an asset. It's a paradox.
I find this laughable considering if you are the first person I can think of who would slag people who stray from "punk ideals" - maybe you call it "calling people on their shit" or something. I might call it - anything for a cheap laugh.

You're a paradox!

also, as far as the bin tax goes considering something like 3/4 of our recycleables are being sent to landfill (yes, everything you put in your green bin) the whole waste system is a joke.

jeez, thanks a lot niall ;)

niallmc said:
One more tangent won't matter. I completely agree with treelo's comments. Let's start talking about the bin tax again, beats talking about Damien Frost

spuded said:
mm nooly i would bring backa pressie, just wish i had more orafices (spelling?) damn you girls have it feckin easy.
twist it up in a tescos bag and swallow it. swallow some vaseline too

weeler said:
I find this laughable considering if you are the first person I can think of who would slag people who stray from "punk ideals" - maybe you call it "calling people on their shit" or something. I might call it - anything for a cheap laugh.You're a paradox!
Is it not easy to see I'm taking the piss? People who take themselves seriously and who are concerned about their image are an easy target. I'm hardly the epitome of punk. I've got a 'fro, live in a rented south Dublin semi-d and I'm in college. People don't slag me about it because I couldn't give a fuck. I slag other people because they do. Simple.

As for the green bin thing... 75% of it gets thrown back in the landfill? Hmm... Ever hear that 67.5% of all statistics are made up on the spot and bandied around as quotes by others? The green bin isn't effective, it's not separated and has to be done by hand. These people get paid fuck all and obviously couldn't give a shit, hence bad job done in separating the waste. Some collection centers have their stuff picked up by industrial recyclers, those who do the actual recycling so they can sell it on. It's in their interests to pick them up.

ian bastardcore said:
Hellshock/Consume/Krush ?!!?!??
go to that!!!!

hellshock and consume are fuckin amazing ..... hellshock are metallic crust from portland,some of the members of remains of the day.consume are the best dbeat band out of america i think .. sounds like an amazing gig.
Actually it's a few hours away and hasstle so I don't think I'll go (I can see you seething!) but if I end up there I'll pick you up a t-shirt, for sure.

the strange guy said:
Up until the last few months, people just put their rubbish in a bin, stuck it outside and it disappeared. The problem wasn't their's anymore. It might as well have vanished. That's not a healthy state of mind to be in if you're in anyway concerned about mother earth maaaaaan.
At the risk of pissing away what little anarcho-credibility I have, I think that the government making people more aware about what they throw away is good and very important. Before, no one gave a shit, but now, bins and rubbish is a widely debated topic. I don't understand, however, all of the black-clad anarchists insisting that the government take away their rubbish for free, because they don't want to deal with it. Is there any logic to someone who believes themselves as autonomous and free, but will get in a huff (and mask up) if their rulers don't clean up after them?
Bin charges came to Dublin area 3 years ago (a lot longer than a few months). You make too many points in each of your posts.
I agree, the government should make people more aware of what they throw away. It's the tactic I don't agree with.
Privatising the refuse collection service is not a good way to go.
Giving people waivers and then removing them is not a good way to go.
Not paing attention to what you throw away is not a good way to go.
Slagging everyone off and not providing a constructive argument is not a good way to go.
I gave a shit before and I still give a shit now.

the strange guy said:
Where do you want to start? Do you think that by not paying a tax, people will suddenly become more aware about what can be recycled? I don't think so. I understand that people are being charged disproportionately, compared to those producing industrial waste, but the idea is a good one. I think it's pretty steep price, but that's not a reason to go and get arrested. Nothing's cheap here anymore. You can't even go for an unplanned pint without making mental calculations about how it'll change your spending habits for the next week. It's shit, but I'm not going to make a placard and a slogan.
Not every change needs to begin with industry and filter down to normal 'citizens'. By changing people's minds at home, the lessons learnt should (hopefully) be reflected in industry. I don't think it's a perfect system by any means, but it is definitely a step in the right direction and will do more good than harm to the environment.
People (as usual) just see the money side to it. Yes it's very expensive, but so's organic tofu. If you don't want to pay, separate all of your rubbish, bring it to the recycling center and bring the rest to a skip or someone elses bin. Everyone here knows if you buy items while making a conscious decision to avoid excessive packaging, there's not much you -can't- recycle. But don't let that get in the way of a good protest!
So many points......
Not paying a tax will show that you don't agree with the tax. Discussing recycling will make people think about recycling.
Is there a good reason to get arrested?
Should any change begin with industry? If industry is responsible for 84% of waste going to landfill should we try and target the 16% first?

Privatising the refuse collection service is not a good way to go.
I'm not saying it is, I was talking about the collection centers that are in shopping centers/colleges.
Slagging everyone off and not providing a constructive argument is not a good way to go.
I didn't think I slagged anyone in particular.

niallmc said:
Should any change begin with industry? If industry is responsible for 84% of waste going to landfill should we try and target the 16% first?
Of course it would be better to have industry pay millions for the privilage of having their waste disposed of, but if that happened, people would still be throwing out all kinds of stuff that can be recycled. My point is that if people realise that they don't have to pay the bin tax if they recycle all of their waste and also to buy stuff with less packaging, then eventually this change in attitude will be reflected by industries, seeing as these same people will be working there.

I'm bored of acting serious. More cock jokes please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

M Stevens & The Ghasts + Vega Storm
Wexford Street
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back