Anarchism (1 Viewer)

Just realised after variously reading or scanning quickly through this toilet of a thread how I miss sometimes the Irish capacity for talking complete and utter bullshit... endlessly if needed.

I know! Especially when you're living in Germany. :p :)

Science is Gay.

1 sentence, 2 capitals, 4 syllables, all FACT.

:mad:

People coming from a scientific background are about the only people I meet who seem capable of thinking analytically and applying straightforward logical tests to problems, statements etc. Something seriously lacking in 99% of the shite written in this thread. I read something recently (think it was in a book by Carl Sagan) of the inherent snobbery amongst arts academics toward people in the sciences, and their complete ignorance of the simplest scientific theory and their ability to dismiss the whole scientific endeavour with a sniffly pfft.

I know this is a digression, but anyways, it related to some scientist being made uncomfortable about not being familiar with theories of postmodernism or some such at a dinner party. And on the contrary, if the scientist turned around and asked those sneering puffed up academics of 'cultural theory' - smugly surprised at the scientists ignorance of the concepts underpinning postmodernism - to instead explain to him the second theory of thermodynamics, one of the most important and fundamental laws of the universe, how many do you think would be able to even begin to relate it back? How many of them would be able to solve the simplest differential equation?

if the scientist turned around and asked those sneering puffed up academics of 'cultural theory' - smugly surprised at the scientists ignorance of the concepts underpinning postmodernism - to instead explain to him the second theory of thermodynamics, one of the most important and fundamental laws of the universe, how many do you think would be able to even begin to relate it back? How many of them would be able to solve the simplest differential equation?

Probably none -and with good reason.

:mad:

People coming from a scientific background are about the only people I meet who seem capable of thinking analytically and applying straightforward logical tests to problems, statements etc. Something seriously lacking in 99% of the shite written in this thread. I read something recently (think it was in a book by Carl Sagan) of the inherent snobbery amongst arts academics toward people in the sciences, and their complete ignorance of the simplest scientific theory and their ability to dismiss the whole scientific endeavour with a sniffly pfft.

I know this is a digression, but anyways, it related to some scientist being made uncomfortable about not being familiar with theories of postmodernism or some such at a dinner party. And on the contrary, if the scientist turned around and asked those sneering puffed up academics of 'cultural theory' - smugly surprised at the scientists ignorance of the concepts underpinning postmodernism - to instead explain to him the second theory of thermodynamics, one of the most important and fundamental laws of the universe, how many do you think would be able to even begin to relate it back? How many of them would be able to solve the simplest differential equation?

this is just an general problem with academics and the fact they can't relate to the "really real" world.

I work with small businesses and NGOs but from an academic setting and the amount of time spent trying to translate academic work into something usable is nuts.

in general, all the silos of academic thinking are bullshit. Having everyone thinking everyone else is ignorant is a classic knowledge system failure.

My main problem is that you can't take a perfectly good education in the Sciences and waste it on pretending that there's hugely meaningful significance in nasty noisy muck-music.

...actually that's a lie, nasty noisy muck-music is the only thing that means anything.

My main problem is that you can't take a perfectly good education in the Sciences and waste it on pretending that there's hugely meaningful significance in nasty noisy muck-music.

...actually that's a lie, nasty noisy muck-music is the only thing that means anything.

I listen to Math Rock. .|..|

comic2-634.png

The Problem With Science:

phd022708s.gif

apparently you have to put a huge amount of work in, use your intelligence, and become adept at critical analysis of the work of others before you can produce meaningful results. turns out it's not just a theme park made of pretty graphs and tropical fieldwork after all. damnation! jurassic park has led me, like so many others, down the garden path.

apparently you have to put a huge amount of work in, use your intelligence, and become adept at critical analysis of the work of others before you can produce meaningful results.

What happened to the "forming your own ideas, instead of trying to condense and regurgitate other peoples'" hypothesis? :p *tut* *tut*

What happened to the "forming your own ideas, instead of trying to condense and regurgitate other peoples'" hypothesis? :p *tut* *tut*
what happened to reading comprehension? this is why science will fail - general ignorance is far too widespread.
hey shorty - choose a meaningful hypothesis, conduct your own suite of experiments, and then comment on the scientific method. because as things stand, scientists spend no time attempting to relate their work to real life. what we really need is an anarchist life manager to tell us what to do. i'll have my finger on the button of nature journal the second you're ready...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back