Zine (2 Viewers)

fuck off. do you have any idea how much money i've lost on My Remorse alone over the years? Dont question my credibility on this. im not made of fucking money.

i dont care if nobody advertises at all. The offer is there. I Doubt there are many zines that only ask for a tenner for a half page ad.

The reason there aren't many zines offering a tenner for half a page is because ads in zines are shit.
Plus, by definition, the fact that zines are anti-consumerist literature nullifies the reason for advertising in them.

the strange guy said:
The reason there aren't many zines offering a tenner for half a page is because ads in zines are shit.
Plus, by definition, the fact that zines are anti-consumerist literature nullifies the reason for advertising in them.

ah another characteristically even-handed argument.

have you ever done a free zine that has no ads? If not then fuck off.

its nice to see copies of olly's old zine lying round our house, makes me feel closer to him somehow.

As for ads in zines, have you every actually thought of having a small charge for the zine instead, like even if its only 30c, if you sold 35 you'd make up the same money. I dunno free zines are well and good when your talking bigger scale, epople actually appreciate them but i think when you're doin a small scale zine its gonna wreck your head when you find hundreds of your freesheets lying on the floor after a gig. Its not a huge amount (30c), it just helps to make sure people actually respect the zine and also helps you cause people cover the costs, not advertisements.

In regards to losing money, i have receipts from the postal office for roughly 200 euro for the first few months of this year, not to include printing costs, i do really think zines are a hobby in a snese and i have a decent job so i dont mind wasting cashign after cash on it. I know this is my set of circumstances but i really think you should consider a small charge. Ask anyone that was around dublin 7 or 8 years ago about the 'freesheet frenzy' and im sure they'll tell you the same.

well... i dunno, its not like im gonna go around harassing people handing them out. If they want it, they can ask me. And there are never enough people at gigs in cork to litter the floor with free pages..

I might do a small charge like you said, but at the same time, its not like it bothers me whether people advertise or not. The zine will be done either way. If people wanna advertise, they can.

I should prob point out that i wouldnt let more than 3 or 4 ads in the zine anyway. Its not like its gonna be an issue of the Free Ads or anything. Its still a music zine.

what happens if the don't know ya ALAN, it's easier methinks to try and leave em at the door, an extra thirty cent when someone is coming in the door aint half as hard to get as it is when they are goin ou. jesus i was so good at business studies in school, what a terrible waste.

Anyway Alan i hope all this won't make ya feel any less posi about the zine making, zines are excellant fun to mkae, cut n' paste is the way to go though, makes things way less frustrating, just ask liadian.

ya i prob would leave them at the door alright. anyway my point was its not like they're going to go waste cos i wouldnt just be going around forcing my shitty zine on people who arent interested. And i would prefer to have a couple of ads rather than charge for the zine.

Ed, I'll have to get copies of Helium Bong off ya. I don't have a single one left and that travesty of a website stops me from going back to read them. Does anyone have issues 7, 8 or 9? They were the best ones in my oh so humble opinion - but they aren't on the website.

I could contribute a section on Minority punks!....ala the thread on Afro-punk below!

Anyways - how come theres never Zines focusing on Jazz?Or Reggae?
I`m off to start my Reggae zine!...or my "Jazz Fusion circa 1972" zine:mad:

i've come across many a reggae zine before, usually from the states, but then again i've seena fair few zines with themed content, examples being, vomiting, constipation, serial killers, woody allen movies.

now go and do a jazz zine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back