You know you're getting old.... (7 Viewers)

The music of the band Smokie* no longer makes my skin crawl

Cliff Richard's late 70s/early 80s songs are quite good

*with the exception of Living next door to Alice
Basically this minute or so from Richey

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I was trying to manage the young lads today. The bit that irked me was just that we had to disassemble a rack of shelves, carry it all upstairs, reassemble it. And do it without looking like idiots.

One of them was ok, one was clueless but tried to show an interest, as that was the path of least resistance with me. The other one was......'sake, someone who should know better but didn't want to.
It was flatpack furniture like, so I had to ask "what do they actually teach you in school in this country?".

He showed an instant of self analysis, and then with defensive bravado he says "I learned how to chase girls bruv!!"...queue much high-fives and banter. I'm left standing there thinking "if you had any idea how stupid you're making us all look". I'm trying to make these guys look less stupid, and they know it, but they've wrapped themselves up in this odd muscular non-directional bravado, and since I'm the "bossman", they don't like me telling them what to do. They are neither stupid nor kids, I just really don't understand what they're thinking. I'm trying to teach them stuff, any of my old bosses would've just ripped them all to shreds.

/necessaryrant

I was trying to manage the young lads today. The bit that irked me was just that we had to disassemble a rack of shelves, carry it all upstairs, reassemble it. And do it without looking like idiots.

One of them was ok, one was clueless but tried to show an interest, as that was the path of least resistance with me. The other one was......'sake, someone who should know better but didn't want to.
It was flatpack furniture like, so I had to ask "what do they actually teach you in school in this country?".

He showed an instant of self analysis, and then with defensive bravado he says "I learned how to chase girls bruv!!"...queue much high-fives and banter. I'm left standing there thinking "if you had any idea how stupid you're making us all look". I'm trying to make these guys look less stupid, and they know it, but they've wrapped themselves up in this odd muscular non-directional bravado, and since I'm the "bossman", they don't like me telling them what to do. They are neither stupid nor kids, I just really don't understand what they're thinking. I'm trying to teach them stuff, any of my old bosses would've just ripped them all to shreds.

/necessaryrant
I think you need to start ripping them to shreds

/necessaryrant
the chances of me assembling flat pack shelves is almost zero.
I can't understand the destructions and they don't teach it in school as far as I know.
having said that I haven't had a job since 1995.

/necessaryrant

Can relate.
The amount apprentices I've wanted to throw off a roof because they're too stubborn to engage their brains for some reason

Sigh

I'm listening to... and enjoying.... Fore! by Huey Lewis & the news today. I bought this album about 15-20 years ago and gave it to a charity shop for being too fucking morto of a listen.
My youth club leader (yes, it was a long time ago) made me a tape of Tom Petty's debut album after overhearing some of us talking. For some reason, he thought it was a good idea to put Huey Lewis' "Sports" on the other side..thus revealing himself to be deeply uncool and ruining the whole thing.

My youth club leader (yes, it was a long time ago) made me a tape of Tom Petty's debut album after overhearing some of us talking. For some reason, he thought it was a good idea to put Huey Lewis' "Sports" on the other side..thus revealing himself to be deeply uncool and ruining the whole thing.
Great album, great band. Might be somewhat 'of their time', but I still give them a spin now and again

What's up with everyone liking Tom Petty?
It took me listening to the debut HeartBreakers album start to finish for me to get it. For years I was just hearing Free Fallin' and other middle of the road anthems and rolling my eyes at how dull it all was.

would you just look at thom yorke's hair there... wow!
I'm not saying I spend a lot of time looking at Thom in this video but you gotta love his rockstar years

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I stopped listening to Tom Petty around the Freefallin period. I went to a gig in h epiunt full of middle class squares and it out me right off him for a while.

I got over it eventually . I still prefer the stuff before Stan Lynch left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back