You know what I can't get my head around? (1 Viewer)

snakybus

Website
www.breakingtunes.com
This whole ones and zeroes thing.

You have an mp3, ok, and it is, supposedly, all information made up of ones and zeroes, which translates into sound waves, fair enough.

But the idea that these ones and zeroes, which as far as I know are abstract concepts, are stored in physical form in an i-pod or your hard drive or whatever. aaaaaargh, that messes with my mind!

Can any of you tecky types shed any light on this? All this information, for example, which I'm now imparting to you in real time is a bnunch of ones and zeroes on some computer (my computer I guess, and then it goes to Pete's computer). Like on a hard drive? But what does it look like?

Sounds like magic to me.

Come to think of it, the human brain is pretty amazing too, but people diodn't invent that I guess.

its to do with sound waves - you know the way the longer the sound wave is the lower the note (or something like that) - when these sound waves are converted to digital 1s and 0s the length and size of the wave is represented like this:

and so on and so forth, except you'd have a lot more 1s and 0s and a good few more font sizes. bold font can be used as well

remember these guys?

270px-ST11001001.jpg

0110110001100101011000010111001001101110001000000111001101101111011011010110010100100000011000100110100101101110011000010111001001111001

I wasn't necessarily talking about music - I just used that as an example.

It's digital intormation I can't get my head around.

I'm currently reading a thing about relays and microprocessors and it's most informative. I now know what a pixel is.

ok, so it's apparently all to do with circuits and relays and stuff

all these tiny circuits opening and closing like a gate! and when they're closed we call it 1 and when they're open we call it 0 (well, slightly more complex that that)

so it's not actually a 1 or a zero! ha! I knew it! Like there isn't a tiny man engraving "1" and "0" on the hard drive with an engraving pen.

we could just as easily call it "open" and "closed", or "black" and "white"

now what I can't get my head around is the number of 1s and 0s that must occur just to make a musical note or a word or a pixel

mental!

now what I can't get my head around is the number of 1s and 0s that must occur just to make a musical note or a word or a pixel

:) Well it depends on how many unique notes, words and pixels you want to represent. Each must be represented with a unique sequence of 1s and 0s so that you can tell them apart. So with a single binary 'digit' you have two states, 1 and 0 - so you can represent two unique things. With two digits you can represent four different things and so forth. And with n digits you can represent 2^n things.

.....you were joking, weren't you? I'll get my coat :eek:

its the same way a record player and needle works.........

except on a computer.

I wasnt joking....any form of data is broken down to 1's and 0's and then stored on the hard drive. when its read it then transforms the 1' and 0's back into whatever data it is.

extremely basic explanation but thats it

just like a record player + record

Bladez has it.

You think encoding music in binary is good?
With enough ATGCs in the right order you have a human being.

esther-rantzen.jpg

:) Well it depends on how many unique notes, words and pixels you want to represent. Each must be represented with a unique sequence of 1s and 0s so that you can tell them apart. So with a single binary 'digit' you have two states, 1 and 0 - so you can represent two unique things. With two digits you can represent four different things and so forth. And with n digits you can represent 2^n things.

.....you were joking, weren't you? I'll get my coat :eek:

No I wasn't joking! Seriously I know hardly anything about this stuff.

I understand what King's Lead Hat is saying too, hmm. But the fact that your mp3 player (the "record player needle", if you like) converts the digital code into a soundwave, but its actual functionality - like, the "hand that puts the needle in the groove" that works on digital thingamajigs too? So you have a digital thing turning a digital thing into a soundwave?

yeah dude- a cd is literally that - a compact disc(read record)

except unlike a record which can have an infinate amounts of dips and bumps between 1 and 0 a cd (or hard drive) its either a dip or a bump, albeit very small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back