World Cup playoffs (1 Viewer)

I'm not at all optimistic. We'll have to defend like demons and hope to nick a set piece. We've been resolute in the campaign but most of the performances have been underwhelming. The second Italy game - probably our best showing - was effectively a dead rubber once Bulgaria had been tonked by Cyprus.

France have clearly underperformed too, but they have serious strength in depth (Govou, Gignac, Anelka, Toulalan, Diaby etc aren't even in Richie's France XI) and would have to string a calamitous couple of performances together to not get past us.

But it's football, so I'll hope for the best. C'mon Ireland.

The 2006 play-offs were seeded too so it's not unprecedented.

I don't think it would be that big an issue if the seeding was involved in every world cup playoff (obviously i'd think it's unfair on the smaller nations). If we knew from the outset what the rules were we could live with them. It's the fact that they waited to see if any of the big boys were in trouble before deciding to seed the playoffs a couple of weeks before the end of the groups. That makes me :mad:

Prick.
Im kind of glad we're playing the French. Ya never know what teams gonna turn up playing them really. I'd love if we put them out. It would really get up Platinis nose too. Fuck Domenech anyway. Absolute bollox. When France went out of the last european championships he didn't make any apologies or give any reasons why they were so poor. Instead he proposed to his wife in the press conference. That is SO french it makes me want to puke.

if st ledger plays were fucked. why, if finnan was fit, would you play him at left back? didn't you see any of the games under stan? you people "i know, ill take a player who was one of the best right backs in the premiership for many years, and might still be able to do it, and play him out of position, so i can put a lower league snail with clogs on in the centre of my defence against some of the games fastest cunts."

and then slag trap? you tools.

Shit, Gourcouf in that side sounds a lot more worrying than Malouda/Nasri/Govou simply playing on the opposite wing to Ribery. These are definitely games for Hunt, put him on whatever side that Ribery plays on that night and Duffer on the other flank.

I reckon Lawrence will get the nod over both Hunt and McGeady.
Wouldn't he play Finnan on the right and O'Shea on the left? Anyway you mix it, it's pudding. But in dreamworld I'd bring back Carr, play Finnan on the left (c'mon Hector, even out of position he's better there than Kilbane) and O'Shea and Dunne in the middle.

My prediction.

Ireland score an early goal in Croke Park. Trap battons down the hatches and they hold on but in their excitement, and as always, they lose this lead in the 89th minute but are praised for their heroic draw against an anxious French team. The French get lambasted in the French newspapers but in Paris slot in a neat goal in the 42nd minute that completely kills us off. And it will be McShane's fault.

My prediction.

Ireland score an early goal in Croke Park. Trap battons down the hatches and they hold on but in their excitement, and as always, they lose this lead in the 89th minute but are praised for their heroic draw against an anxious French team. The French get lambasted in the French newspapers but in Paris slot in a neat goal in the 42nd minute that completely kills us off. And it will be McShane's fault.

No matter what happens its gonna be McShanes fault.

Yeah, I meant O'Shea on the left and Finnan on the right - it's got to be worth considering, given the number of times Kilbane's been beaten by the simple diagonal ball, as much as I love the guy.

I have a horrible vision of this going to penalties after two 1-1 draws, though we'll be doing very well if we get that far.

That fucking idiot really knows how to fire up the opposition doesn't he?
It's definetly going to kick off at croker now. Hope Dunne breaks Anelkas jaw. Fuck the result now it's personal.

kevin nolan too, while were at it. he's unlikey to crack into the england squad now he's in division x playing constantpainfuljoke united.

Thought Nolan came out and said he was English, he'd never set foot in Ireland and would never play for us. Could be mixing him up with someone else, Billy Wright or Jonny Adair maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back