Working at google apparently is the best (1 Viewer)

It's pretty good I suppose (better than my last job!), the bonus and share probably push it a bit over what you'd earn in a similar position in Microsoft/Amazon. I suppose it all depends on what role you're going for and what experience you have.

People shouldn't worry too much if they don't have a 1.1 in applied multi-physics or whatever, I don't even have a degree and I got hired. (perhaps this shall be their downfall!)

I worked in Yahoo for a while. Major meh.

On the other hand my brother's friend works in Google, and he loves it, in terms of job satisfaction. Plus he really really loves the social side with and he has a huge circle of friends from all different places in ze vorld....

and

:: Free Ben and Jerrys
:: Constant flow of free sweets
:: Sushi bar in the canteen (he asked if they buy in the sushi or make it on-site - the sushi chefs looked at him disgustedly and said of course they make it on site. Hilarious...they have specific sushi chefs...)

And I'm sure there are loads of other great things.

Looking at the Google.ie website it seems that the engineering jobs are mainly to develop applications used internally. I guess all the cool internet stuff is done over in Mountain View.

Nah - I think they have more technical stuff here than that.

I was based in the Mountain View office, last year, for 2 weeks, doing vendor work, and jesus fuckin christ the canteen is amazing.

It’s one big huge food hall. Every type of food, all day. You could have an omlette for breakfast (made how you like it by a smiley chef), organic veggie stuff for lunch and a Thai curry for dinner. Ice cream, beer, soft drinks, sweets….all free, all day.

Every section of the building/buildings has a wee food room with excellent ready made salads, fresh fruit juices, chocolate, muffins, pick n mixes n all that jazz. Stocked daily by the hundreds of canteen staff they must employ.

On Fridays they would have themed parties (one Friday it was all Korean food) that would kick off at lunchtime, with barbeques, live band and kegs of beer. Yep. All free. Very civilized though. Didn’t see anyone pissed. Everyone just eats the grub, has a chat, and legs it home. Lots a geeks.

Oh to be back there again.

Google sounds like a deadly place to work. They took away our free mineral water recently. The new stuff comes from the same pipe as the fire hose and tastes like the periodic table.

In our building we have some big empty rooms, so one of the guys bought a drum kit and stuck it in there. Somebody else brought in his guitar and amp, etc and a regular woeful jamming session now occurs (none of us can actually play the drums). Then some guys in some other office in Europe went one better and brought in this 80s Phil Collins electronic drum kit he owned, so we're going to sort out some battle of the bands thing over video conference in the future.

They had some guy from the Black Eyed Peas come into one of the US offices to give a demo on how he makes tracks too. (wonder if they'd get his equivalent in Dublin to come in, maybe the ginger from The Frames? Hehehe)

In our building we have some big empty rooms, so one of the guys bought a drum kit and stuck it in there. Somebody else brought in his guitar and amp, etc and a regular woeful jamming session now occurs (none of us can actually play the drums). Then some guys in some other office in Europe went one better and brought in this 80s Phil Collins electronic drum kit he owned, so we're going to sort out some battle of the bands thing over video conference in the future.

They had some guy from the Black Eyed Peas come into one of the US offices to give a demo on how he makes tracks too. (wonder if they'd get his equivalent in Dublin to come in, maybe the ginger from The Frames? Hehehe)

Sounds wonderful.

*weeps, but has no hankies to dry eyes due to not being able to afford any, in addition to not having any desk drawers to put hankies in.

There's a novelty kitkat mouse in my drawer. I don't know if it works but should I plug it in? For the excitement like?

A few of my friends work there but it all seems a bit too scientology-esque for me. All they seem to do is talk about how great work is and in fact about nothing but work since they started. Can't remember the last time we had a conversation when it didn't wind up related back to google by them. It gets a bit annoying after a while! They keep on trying to get our friends to work there. Oh yeah that's possibly because if a current employee gets someone new in they get a nice little two grand bonus. They seem happy enough that said!

Then some guys in some other office in Europe went one better and brought in this 80s Phil Collins electronic drum kit he owned, so we're going to sort out some battle of the bands thing over video conference in the future.

hahahahaha.
thats the best things ive read on thumped in a long long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back