Wireless/Broadband Security (1 Viewer)

aoboa

Anyone got any tips for securing a broadband connection on the router and PC side?

Also any good apps for monitoring tcp/udp connections???
Tried running ethereal on my wireless connection but it doesn't pick up any packets - it does if I connect using my LAN port.

In the security section of my router there was an option to enter the mac addresses of the pcs that i wanted to allow on the network. anyone not on the list tryin to get in is denied access. sorry, access denied.

Use a combination of WPA encryption with MAC filtering. Most new wireless routers have WPA these days. Anything else is no use at the moment. Even using WEP with mac filtering is pretty much usless as WEP can be broken in a few minutes and mac addresses are easy to spoof.

For some good monitoring tools try Auditor. It is a linux distro that runs off the cd and contains a lot network monitoring tools including wireless ones. You can get it here:

http://www.remote-exploit.org/

Wayne said:
Use a combination of WPA encryption with MAC filtering. Most new wireless routers have WPA these days. Anything else is no use at the moment. Even using WEP with mac filtering is pretty much usless as WEP can be broken in a few minutes and mac addresses are easy to spoof.

For some good monitoring tools try Auditor. It is a linux distro that runs off the cd and contains a lot network monitoring tools including wireless ones. You can get it here:

http://www.remote-exploit.org/

I have encryption enabled on the wlan and have WPA password enabled.
The only MAC filtering I can ffind is in the Bridge Filtering section of the router config. Is this the right thing? The parameters allow me to add MAC addresses either to be blocked or forwarded. Does this sound right??

There is also a parameter elsewhere for MAC spoofing. Know anything about this? Sounds like it makes the router present a fake MAC address outwards.

aoboa said:
I have encryption enabled on the wlan and have WPA password enabled.
The only MAC filtering I can ffind is in the Bridge Filtering section of the router config. Is this the right thing? The parameters allow me to add MAC addresses either to be blocked or forwarded. Does this sound right??
Yeah. I set mine to only allow the addresses listed to get on the network.
aoboa said:
There is also a parameter elsewhere for MAC spoofing. Know anything about this? Sounds like it makes the router present a fake MAC address outwards.
Yeah a lot of routers seem to have that option. You can basically set the address on it.

The modem/router I had (cable and wireless job from Argos) was responsible for dropping the wireless connection every few minutes.
Brought it back and swapped it for a Belkin one (same price) and the wLan connection is now perfect.
No problems with 2 laptops connected now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back