windows problem

Thread starter #1

Anthony

Supporter
Website
www.groov.ie

My son has his message when he tries to log into Windows 10. I'm no help with the pc, what is this, apart from being upside down that is?

Thread starter #6

Anthony

Supporter
Website
www.groov.ie
Well that didn't work.

Avast was on the pc. We uninstalled it (didn't work), we put it back on and updated it (didn't work). Various other things....

Thread starter #8

Anthony

Supporter
Website
www.groov.ie
I have youtube open in the ipad and we're going through videos. The first one didn't work so we imporvised. Currently backing up his data.

Thread starter #11

Anthony

Supporter
Website
www.groov.ie
corrupted user file. I had to dig into a User Profiles folder and change the name of a file. This just got it working. All his files were backed up, which is a good thing because now they're gone. Still it's not working properly, the Start menu isn't displaying like it used to. The Mail app isn't launching, his bookmarks are all gone.
The next time he starts the pc I think there's a good chance it will happen again.

Theseus Mock

Supporter
Was it ntuser.dat? That could make you believe the files were deleted but they should still be about. ntuser.dat contains user interface details and prefs of the logged in user.

Thread starter #14

Anthony

Supporter
Website
www.groov.ie
Was it ntuser.dat? That could make you believe the files were deleted but they should still be about. ntuser.dat contains user interface details and prefs of the logged in user.
Yea, something like that. I was able to locate his documents and back them up but now they seem gone???

Theseus Mock

Supporter
Another thing to check:

The folders you backed up are inside a hidden folder. Similar to the way OS X hides the ~/Library directory.

• Open This PC, click View and select Options.
  • In the Folder Options window, choose View, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then click OK.
Then go browse within C:\Users\[YOURUSERNAME] and look for folders with a transparent style, they're the hidden folders.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... if we have any.

Upgrade now

Buy me a coffeeBuy me a coffee

Most Online

Most Users Ever Online was: 50
Most Members Ever Online was: 11
Most Guests Ever Online was: 44

Latest posts

Latest threads