wilco (2 Viewers)

What do people think of the Wilco and Billy Bragg stuff?

California Stars is the best Wilco song Jeff Tweedy didn't write.

Here's another one:

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/news/145869-plan-to-vote-get-wilco-fleet-foxes-dylan-cover-mp3

Mermaid Avenue introduced me to Wilco in the first place. My favo album of all time. And most of it recorded in this wee Dublin town.

Loved the no mic version of Acuff Rose in Vicar St.

Unicron - he's a great one for the stage banter.

"Lets get this party started..... with some mid tempo rock!"

I have a bunch of Wilco and Tweedy bootlegs - hes a great guy. I went to see him play in London a couple of years ago and also then here in Vicar Street, which was awesome. The guy has so many beautiful songs. Please Tell My Brother from the Golden Smog record for example. Remember The Mountain Bed - just on a coustic guitar and yet you'd never realised seven minutes or so has just whizzed by.

As for Tupelo - there are some seriously great songs in that catalogue. My bro has an anthology CD of them which is very very good. Check out especially Black Eye, New Madrid, their version of Moonshiner, Acuff Rose (bizarrely not on the Anthology), Gun, Whiskey Bottle, I Got Drunk, Still Be Around, Sauget Wind.

That Tweedy gig in Vicar St was incredible.

I knew he was good, but I didn't think he was that good.

Is it easy to ght the Golden Smog and Tupelo stuff?

The Uncle Tupelo albums got the re-issue treatment I think. Golden Smog is a collaboration between himself and Gary Louris and some other song-writers I'm not sure of off the top of my head and I don't think Tweedy has contributed many songs to their albums, but that one Please Tell My Brothers is one he usually plays when he's playing solo and is a delightfully simple tune. If it wasn't for the mention of swimming pools and phone bills in the lyrics you'd swear it was some trad. arr number

I'm chilin in bed enjoying my new no-job status listening to Uncle Tupelo - I forgot - they're brilliant!

I'm just getting through Disc 1 at the moment. Red-eyed and Blue, I Got You and Hotel Arizona are brilliant. And of course:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

One of my favourite Wilco songs is a circa YHF one called Venus stop the train. I think it failed to make the cut because it was written more by Jay than Jeff and then Bennett got shitcanned but it's a great tune. Apparently appeared eventually on a Bennett solo record but I've never heard that version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back