Why exactly are macs so overpriced? (1 Viewer)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8639240.stm

Adobe is to stop making software tools that allow Apple's iPhone and iPad to use its popular Flash technology.

"We will still be shipping the ability to target the iPhone and iPad in Flash CS5," wrote Mike Chambers, Adobe's principal product manager for developer relations, on his blog. "However, we are not currently planning any additional investments in that feature."
Mr Chambers also commented on Apple's revision of its terms and conditions. He wrote: "...as developers for the iPhone have learned, if you want to develop for the iPhone you have to be prepared for Apple to reject or restrict your development at any time."
Apple responded in a statement to technology news site CNet in which it described Flash as "closed and proprietary". Apple preferred to support more open standards which replicate everything Flash can do, added the statement.

Mr Chambers wrote that now Adobe will concentrate on Google's Android smartphone software and ensure that its Flash technology works well with that.
"Fortunately," he wrote, "the iPhone isn't the only game in town."

Actually that article i posted might not make a lot of sense if you haven't followed the back story. Basically, some apple engineer was out on the piss a few weeks ago and brought a disguised iphone 4 production model with him, and lost it. Someone picked it up and sold it to gizmodo, the gadget blog, for $10,000. They took all kinda pictures, wrote about it in detail, and then rang the dude who lost it and offered it back, and made a big deal out of how he shouldn't lose his job for forgetting the phone in the pub (never mind that they plastered his name all over the internet). That article above is about Steve Wozniak, the co-founder of apple, saying if the dude doesn't lose his job, he's insanely lucky, because an Apple engineer showed him an ipad for three minutes on launch day a few hours before the actual launch and got fired for it, which apparently is pretty normal at apple.

So yeah. Evil! *cough*

no i knew the gray whatshisface story, i just don't understand why a guy got fired for showing a co-founder of the company a device he'd been told he could show after a certain time....

Apple can charge what they like because they control every aspect of their computers, right? They make the operating system, they source the hardware and put it all together into their own design. That control is the reason their stuff 'just works' too.

Windows is great for ability to customise and develop and do whatever you like with your computer - but how many computer users need/want/understand all that flexibility? I use a Mac because the only things I want to do with my computer is record, program and produce music, do graphic stuff, and the usual entertainment things (music, video and internet usually). Macs process audio more efficiently than Windows, and I haven't had any headaches regarding drivers while trying to get my other gear to work with my laptop and software.

I hate all the militant Mac fanboyism that goes on. But my Mac works perfectly for me, and my Windows computers in the past haven't. That's because I didn't put in all the time to work out the kinks of Windows, but it came to needing a new computer because my old hardware was so outdated. Now my Mac does everything I need it to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back