Who is the worst band ever? (3 Viewers)

photon said:
Just out of curiousity, who do you think they're watered down in comparison to? And are you talking about the Barrett-lead years, the Waters-lead years, or both?

the barrett lead years were certainly much better than the waters years, which i cant stand personally. i've been a fan of can, faust and the velvet underground for years (lou reed's solo stuff i cant listen to all however), so i'm probably coming from that point of view.

I'd also be interested in finding out who you think Fatboy Slim is derivative of. Bomb the Bass or someone similar, maybe?

meat beat manifesto for one, who were also completely ripped off by the chemical brothers and the prodigy. but mainly cook just seems to have made a fortune from taking old soul and funk records and putting a house beat on them. and i wont get started on moby, the hack ;)

(Not going to ask about the White Stripes, 'cause it's my opinion that they just nick licks from Zep and the Stones circa 1972-73.)

yep, with a bit of the pixies as well (who are wonderful imho). that album - "elephant"? - that "five nation army" or whatever was on (that song at least has a nice riff. buts thats all it is) is one of the most tedious monotonous albums i have ever heard.

Brian Conniffe said:
or whatever was on (that song at least has a nice riff. buts thats all it is) is one of the most tedious monotonous albums i have ever heard.
and the nice riff you refer too, is from achoking victim song

demonica said:
and the nice riff you refer too, is from achoking victim song
haha, i was just replying saying it was ripped straight from the ruts' weak heart. i've never heard choking victim. when were they around?

ddmurph said:
haha, i was just replying saying it was ripped straight from the ruts' weak heart. i've never heard choking victim. when were they around?
pretty much the band now known as leftover crack, recorded that song in the early 90's. Never noticed it was a ruts riff before

snakybus said:
ah sure weren't the stones and zep the biggest rip-off merchants ever?

everyone steals from someone
yeah, a lot of the early blues that they were ripping off was built on previous songs anyway ... charlie patton -> son house -> muddy waters, etc

Brian Conniffe said:
the barrett lead years were certainly much better than the waters years, which i cant stand personally. i've been a fan of can, faust and the velvet underground for years (lou reed's solo stuff i cant listen to all however), so i'm probably coming from that point of view.

Hmm, can't say I hear any krautrock influence in Pink Floyd at all. I'd say if the Waters years were derivative of anyone, it would have been one of the Canterbury bands, like, say, Soft Machine or Egg.

I agree with you 100% about Reed, though. Bleccch.

Brian Conniffe said:
meat beat manifesto for one, who were also completely ripped off by the chemical brothers and the prodigy.

I never thought MBM was all that much, to be honest. The beats were pretty rudimentary (even for the time), and the samples were a bit too "ooh, we're so scary and shocking!" But tastes differ.

Brian Conniffe said:
but mainly cook just seems to have made a fortune from taking old soul and funk records and putting a house beat on them.

Well, he's no more guilty of that than any Big Beat producer is. Maybe he was more commercially successful than others, but I don't see that as a reason to dislike him more than, say, the Chemical Brothers, who I always found to be utterly boring and pretentious. At least Cook kept his tongue in cheek all the time, which made him occasionally fun, if not particularly highbrow.

Brian Conniffe said:
yep, with a bit of the pixies as well (who are wonderful imho).

Well, we'll disagree somewhat here. I always thought the Pixies were maybe slightly above-average, but were never a great band. If I compare anything they ever did to, say, the first Throwing Muses album (which, in my opinion, is one of the best albums of the '80s), they always sounded, to use your term, watered-down in comparison.

Brian Conniffe said:
that album - "elephant"? - that "five nation army" or whatever was on (that song at least has a nice riff. buts thats all it is) is one of the most tedious monotonous albums i have ever heard.

Again, I don't care about them enough to get particularly annoyed by them.

Still, good to hear differing opinions on things.

Paul

demonica said:
pretty much the band now known as leftover crack, recorded that song in the early 90's. Never noticed it was a ruts riff before
i'll rip the track and stick it up on the web later. don't have it with me now though so i'll do it tomorrow. it's on the ruts meets mad professor rhythm collision album anyway.

ddmurph said:
i'll rip the track and stick it up on the web later. don't have it with me now though so i'll do it tomorrow. it's on the ruts meets mad professor rhythm collision album anyway.
cool, cheers!

demonica said:
i love that guy
yeah, he's amazing. was just listening to him earlier actually.

ps. haha, i fucking hate post-syd barrett pink floyd too. roger waters bugs the shit out of me.

mangler said:
I'll agree with Simply Red, except for that song Fairground. Came on the radio while we were driving home to Cork after a gig in Dundalk. Lotta driving in one day, everyone was tired, and as soon as it came on we were all singing it.
i'm never talking to ye again steve

wavioli said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by boigaz
This:
e762238purw.jpg
is a brilliant album

brilliant by association maybe?

i was gonna say the same. anyone ever hear rude awakening though? as cool as andy irvine is, why did he choose to work with bill fucking whelan?

the motherfuckin doooobie brothers (and anything michael mcdonald related). my boss is really into steely dan and anytime we go on a long journey somewhere he plays "the dan" and it makes me want to puke. supertramp have a similar effect (scooter's version of 'the logical song' is also odious). 10cc are fairly shit, but 'rubber bullets' is mildly amusing and i do have a soft spot for 'i'm not in love', must see about getting that removed surgically. limp buizquit are like soft shit on a shitty stick, as are most nouveau metal bands unless they're in zombie films. the baha men are class, WHO LET THE DOGS OUT?! vanilla ninja are good. savage garden are shit. keane are horrible :eek: the beautiful south are horrible. i'm getting angry now...

Goatbastard said:
The worst band ever is clearly My Chemical Romance,whats worse is that I think they pay people to register accounts on forum's for the sole purpose of defending the band..scum of the earth.
don't get me fuckin started

Queen Buzzo said:
I used to agree, but then I saw an interview with Chad Kroeger and he was such a nice dude that I had to take them off my hitlist.

i read an interview with him, just prior to the start of the iraq war. he said words to the effect of sitting down, enjoying watching the war on telly. plus his musical contribution to humanity is so appawling.

jane said:
A really shitty hardcore band from California called Avenged Sevenfold are, hands down, the worst thing I have ever, ever heard, or possibly that have ever existed.

Their only redeeming quality is that they are major assholes. Also, they are a bunch of haters.
my chemical romance and throwdown are so much worse its unbelieveable

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back