Who can you trust? (1 Viewer)

The current 'culture' around being honest about depression/mental illness annoys the fuck out of me. This is for entirely selfish, but i think, valid reasons. Back when I was doing PR for the organization a few months back, the reason we missed out on a lot of coverage in the press is that we coincided with some other national depression 'campaign'. So the real effect of the national depression movement was that literally the most depressed people in the country (i can say that with no exaggeration) got sidelined because depression and anxiety are merely side effects of our condition.

I also approached a number of bloggers who in smaller circles would be prominent and known for writing about mental health. None of them followed up for various reasons, but essentially dealing with something where suicide has to be considered as a real option didn't fit in with the narrative that they were creating.

I got a huge bang of empty vessels and opportunism off the whole thing. Basically its a culture where we are encouraged to talk about things, so long as they fit in with the popular narrative. Talking openly about something that outguns everyone else's problems just isn't hip, kids.

Another mate told a few people that he had been diagnosed with diabetes (the beetis)
Soon everyone knew
And before you know it, every time he picks up a bit of bread or orders a pint either people are either saying something or nodding at each other in silent judgement.
He should have said nothing to no one.

Solipsism isn't really possible though. You gotta deal with people, why get all worked up in yourself worrying about what they know? They only have power if you let them, right?

Athough if you feel bad because you murdered someone or whatever I guess you either gotta do the time officially or live with an undetermined mental torture, your choice.

Incidentally I am now stalking your responses on Gawker. You gave me that knowledge YOU FOOL

You gotta deal with people, why get all worked up in yourself worrying about what they know? They only have power if you let them, right?

Not quite. I think people treat you differently based on what they know about you. Power might be too strong a word.

I don't think I'm too worked up about anything. It was just a thought for a thread. I have pretty much no complaints right now - except this damn perpetual winter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back