where to buy a custom built computer? (1 Viewer)

Diddles

Komplett don't seem to be selling custom built ones any more, just the parts.

If they even still had the bit where you could put the specs together I'd have built it myself.

Pain in the hole, I need to buy one pronto.

where be good?

Buy all the bits yerself and assemble it? It's not hard (even I can do it) and you'll save a good bit.

I've done it myself before but I don't really have the werewithal at the moment.

If Komplett still had that nice list thing where you could pick stuff and make a list of what you need I'd do it. I don't want to be rooting around for bits and bobs. I'll forget to buy something and/or I'll get one bit that's not compatible with another bit, end up losing the head and it'll be weeks before I have something up and runnning.

I just bought this on overclockers.

Specification
Antec Three Hundred Gaming Case
Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz Processor
Akasa AK-967 Nero Core i7 Performance Cooler
Asus P6T Deluxe Intel X58 DDR3 Motherboard
3GB Triple Channel DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 500GB SATA II
Pioneer 20x DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter
Corsair TX 750W Power Supply

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/syscon_int.php?prodid=FS-066-OK

i7? very swish.

only 500Gb though? you could pop a pair of 1Tb drives in there for under €250 nowadays...

Nice machine,specially with the currency going the way it is.

ahh. bollix.
can you change the order Diddles?
if you can, put an extra Hard drive on it, and RAID it.

i7? very swish.

only 500Gb though? you could pop a pair of 1Tb drives in there for under €250 nowadays...

I don't need a massive hard drive, that's plenty big for me. Purely for work* and my work files don't be that big.

It's going to be fast though. Very fast.

*I might play a bit of Command & Conquer on it.

I don't need a massive hard drive, that's plenty big for me. Purely for work* and my work files don't be that big.

It's going to be fast though. Very fast.

*I might play a bit of Command & Conquer on it.
no its a deadly machine as it is, but hard drives will die, that's what they do. What a RAID does is it makes the individual disks redundant, so you can lose one, and it will boot up no problems, tell you your disk is fried, you stick in a new one, and in the mean time you're totally fine.

You should still run back ups and things, if you delete it its still gone, but redundant disks are very handy. Buy 1 extra disk the same as the first, Set it to do RAID 1, your machine will always boot (unless the power supply goes...) but you wont have any extra space.

no its a deadly machine as it is, but hard drives will die, that's what they do. What a RAID does is it makes the individual disks redundant, so you can lose one, and it will boot up no problems, tell you your disk is fried, you stick in a new one, and in the mean time you're totally fine.

You should still run back ups and things, if you delete it its still gone, but redundant disks are very handy. Buy 1 extra disk the same as the first, Set it to do RAID 1, your machine will always boot (unless the power supply goes...) but you wont have any extra space.

Thanks Flashback, i'll look into it. I'm trying not to spend too much money though. This is already costing a fair few quid and i've still to buy a monitor. I was going to get the pricier i7 and bigger graphics cards but had to stop myself.

No problem.

I think the motherboard you are buying already comes with a RAID controller on it. That's the expensive bit already done.

I think all that needs doing is throwing an extra hard drive on and telling the controller you want RAID 1.
Ah. OK. They are going to charge you 10 quid to configure it.

So its not free, but, 10 quid... plus the cost of the drive. Like if you buy an external drive and always back your stuff up every night, you can get away with it.
But if the drive goes as you are working, and you haven't managed to back up that project..I'd still say its worth it.

No problem.

I think the motherboard you are buying already comes with a RAID controller on it. That's the expensive bit already done.

I think all that needs doing is throwing an extra hard drive on and telling the controller you want RAID 1.
Ah. OK. They are going to charge you 10 quid to configure it.

So its not free, but, 10 quid... plus the cost of the drive. Like if you buy an external drive and always back your stuff up every night, you can get away with it.
But if the drive goes as you are working, and you haven't managed to back up that project..I'd still say its worth it.

Already shipped now.

What I'll do is ring my brother and scab a hard drive off him and he can tell me how to set it up.

nice one.
its easy to do, when you are booting, and you see the BIOS stuff starting up you will be offered some key to hit to get into configuring RAID.
You just get into that utility, and arrow key about the place.
RAID 1 will be the level you'd want. Then you'll have to Build the RAID.
I think you will nuke your machine at this point, but you should just be able to recover it back with your recovery disk and be back to where you started from.

Then you have a redundant drive.
RAID 0 will mean you have twice the capacity.
You can't do RAID higher than 1 with just two drives.

See if your brother can get you the same spec drive (size / RPM / buffer). I've used odd disks in RAIDs when I had to but its kind of a waste, you're only using the lower drive specification sort of thing.

Diddles get go quicker stickers for it.It'll make it boot along gauranteed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back