Where have you intrepid explorers been this year? (1 Viewer)

lads i just checked his IP - he's actually posting from the internet cafe on parliament street

not really

Holy shit. You doing this on your own or are you on one of those overland tour things?

You're not gonna get a chance to answer this are you? Good luck in the Congo ...

No, I'm still around. Back browsing Thumped again. "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

I'm a journalist so I'm heading there on a story. Supposed to be tracking down child soldiers. Bone-bending job. I'm getting a lift into DRC and then I'll be flown about on rickety Soviet helicopters piloted by UN peacekeepers. Visiting four towns in Kivu in all. And shitting myself...

No, I'm still around. Back browsing Thumped again. "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

I'm a journalist so I'm heading there on a story. Supposed to be tracking down child soldiers. Bone-bending job. I'm getting a lift into DRC and then I'll be flown about on rickety Soviet helicopters piloted by UN peacekeepers. Visiting four towns in Kivu in all. And shitting myself...

one day.............one day I will have your job.

until then, enjoy. and im mad jealous!

i was reading this book by ryzard kapuscinski (?sp) about some time he spent in the congo. (the cover of book said it was called "the soccar war" though and that apparently involved Honduras and El Salvador so maybe it had the wrong cover... i dunno). anyway, the congo sounded mad dangerous

i was reading this book by ryzard kapuscinski (?sp) about some time he spent in the congo. (the cover of book said it was called "the soccar war" though and that apparently involved Honduras and El Salvador so maybe it had the wrong cover... i dunno). anyway, the congo sounded mad dangerous

It is. Especially the bit where Freddie is going.

The Soccer War is a collection of writings by Kapuscinski about all sorts of places. One of which is the central american football war thing. He's great.

It is. Especially the bit where Freddie is going.

The Soccer War is a collection of writings by Kapuscinski about all sorts of places. One of which is the central american football war thing. He's great.

what publication does freddie write for? sounds like he's having quite an adventure all the same!

maybe it was the soccar war i was reading so - i didnt finish it though, the writing style was annoying me a bit. i loved "the shadow of the sun" though - another collection of african stories, and "the emperor" was ok although i didnt pick up on the polish references at all at the time (read about them in the guardian on saturday), i might have appreciated it better if i had.

there was this story in "the shadow of the sun" about a woman in some part of africa who got hold of a gramaphone and a record of somebodys speeches - she used to play it in the village and tell everyone it was the voice of god and make up stuff about what he was saying.

Would have been just before I headed off again. Tough to laze around on Thumped from the third world. But this dropped in my inbox today on one of those 'someone has replied to etc etc'

I'm in Ethiopia at the moment but going to Burundi on Sunday and then driving into the DR Congo's notorious Kivu region. !ninjaaaa.

I didn't do Mali independently, no. But I might be able to give a few pointers. What do you need to know?

Opps - late reply.
Me and my blues brother are on a 'mission from god' (well not THE god but something like that..) next January and will be heading to Mali for the Festival in the Desert in Essakane, 60+km north of Timbouktou.
We've contacted various tour companies in Mali to get quotes for transportation from Bamako to Essakane via timbouktou - radically varying in price.
We were told that it would be nearly impossible to make our way to the festival from Bamako on our own, due to the logistics of getting from Timbouktou to the festival in the desert (renting 4*4 which may be thin on the ground around festival time).

How was Mali in your experience?That hard to get around?
English with a smattering of french ok to get by?
We'll probably get the most basic tour to make things easier for ourselves(500eur for transport from bamako/timbouktou/festival and back, which i think includes a Dogon tour).
I'll be racing camels while my mate plays bass with some local Taureg and Malian musicians.

Then its to Senegal for some Senegalise high life and touring Dakar's music joints...followed by a bit of local wrestling.

All the above plans highly influenced by an overdose of West african music, Paul Bowles stories of recording music around Morocco in the 50's/60', a slight obsession with Taureg culture and boredom here at home.

Maybe we could make a documentary!?!bing

Festival Au Desert 2003
Pics from http://www.tamashek.org/Festival.htm

0190.jpg

0010.jpg

Ou est le Toilet??:confused:

Opps - late reply.
Me and my blues brother are on a 'mission from god' (well not THE god but something like that..) next January

All the above plans highly influenced by an overdose of West african music, Paul Bowles stories of recording music around Morocco in the 50's/60', a slight obsession with Taureg culture and boredom here at home.

Maybe we could make a documentary!?!bing

Sounds amazing. I'd love to go to that festival. And Mali/Senegal in general. Have you read that book "Music In My Head" by Mark Hudson?

Sounds amazing. I'd love to go to that festival. And Mali/Senegal in general.

Your welcome to come along!
I can see us getting together with some others in Bamako anyway - if we get a local tour company to help us along im sure they will probably have a few others lumped in with us.More the merrier!

Music in my head?nope, can't say i have.
Been trying to get a book about West african music, but no luck really.Go for that?

Yeah it's a really good read. It's not a book about west african music as such, it's a novel set in Senegal/Mali about an English music journalist that goes there because he becomes obsessed with west african music. It paints a great picture of Dakar in particular and the music scene there. One of the main characters in a thinly-disguised Youssou N'Dour (for the sceptics, Youssou N'Dour was amazing before he started teaming up with Neneh Cherry and those types. Still is apparently, but all the good stuff is only released locally on cassette).

Your welcome to come along!
I can see us getting together with some others in Bamako anyway - if we get a local tour company to help us along im sure they will probably have a few others lumped in with us.More the merrier!

Ah, cheers! But my intrepid travelling is kinda curtailed for the forseeable future. I'll keep it in mind though :)

Berlin
Stockholm
Barcelona
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Montreal

Upcoming
Ottawa
Toronto
Quebec City
Boston
New York
Vancouver
Seattle
and some other places including nothern territories in Canada

only made it to italy (twice) so far this year; london in october for gorilla biscuits, then that's probably it until australia next summer. bah.

Barcelona.
Den Haag (thus necessarily Amsterdam)
San Sebastian.
Biarritz.

A year ago I was in Bolivia, which is definitely one of the best places ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back