When Under Ether - new music show on RTE 2 (2 Viewers)

most people on forums are the people that scour the internet for music anyway and are not big tv watchers. oddly enough the tv show is for tv viewers. i never said the show was great but that it should be supported to allow it time to evolve. i fucking hate arctic monkeys but do you honestly think the majority of their fans would know who Grizzly Bear and Health are??? if even a handful of them buy a few pj harvey or grizzly bear cds it will have been worth it

Do you think the majority of Arctic Monkeys fans will sit up til midnight or after to watch a video they probably have already found online or seen say on MTV2 or whatever?

Scientician you make a good point and I've often thought about it myself - if, I dunno, a badly-made Magnetic Fields video came on the telly or even a song on the radio I'd be tickled pink, even though I can listen to it any time I want, or watch it on the Internet. I think it's the feeling that thousands of other people are watching it as well at the same time, or maybe that somehow your selective tastes have been vindicated and taken up by the great unwashed. I guess that's the community experience. Granted, you can record stuff, watch it on your computer or whatever, and if it's on late there might be very few people watching. But I suppose it's just the buzz of seeing something that represents you on the national stage. I guess it shows that indie types buy into the whole TV-is-god myth as much as anyone.

But are the "great unwashed" watching a show like this that airs at the time it does? I'd like to see the ratings for these shows. I have heard before that they're ratings poison for RTÉ but dunno how true it is. It's cool and all seeing a Magnetic Fields video on that show but there again who watching wouldn't at least be tangentially aware of their existence?
A show that tries to cater to that audience is inevitably preaching to the converted to a large extent, a converted who tends towards being tech/internet savvy enough to cater for themselves online. No Disco existed at a time when the internet wasn't as interesting or developed when it came to music and AV content but I still only really watched it if I heard there was a band I liked or a band I knew personally going to be on it.

how about me and scientician guest present next week.

I don't know if I could do a better job, I'm not saying that, I'm just wondering out loud what the point of a show in that particular format is and whether it can be a success and submitting reasons why I think it won't/can't.

Do you think the majority of Arctic Monkeys fans will sit up til midnight or after to watch a video they probably have already found online or seen say on MTV2 or whatever?

not the majority no but seeing as millions and millions of people love the Artic Monkeys a small percentage of that would be enough

do you watch later with Jools Holland?

not the majority no but seeing as millions and millions of people love the Artic Monkeys a small percentage of that would be enough

do you watch later with Jools Holland?

Occasionally, not religiously. If it's on and I'm channel surfing I'll leave it on for a bit, if I hear a band I want to hear is going to be playing I'll watch the whole show.

I think you're way off here The Scientician. There's plenty of people out there who'll watch a show like this. Not everyone lives online.
I'd heard of all the bands on the programme but I'd only actually heard 4 of them before. And I'd only ever heard 2 of the songs before.
For all the hullabaloo about Grizzly Bear I couldn't be fucking arsed looking them up online. TV is different.

I don't know if I could do a better job, I'm not saying that, I'm just wondering out loud what the point of a show in that particular format is and whether it can be a success and submitting reasons why I think it won't/can't.

but the fact it is on tv means it has the chance to change/evolve. i loved seeing Talking Heads on terrestrial tv to be honest. Grizzly Bear, The XX, Pj Harvey.

A more exclusive interview and a different live band would have brought it up a notch or two but only one episode in i want to focus on the positive. they have had no marketing, have a bare budget and are on at 11.50. i would prefer to keep watching and see how it evolves.

if you do not like it then fine but already the recommendation of doing it live is a good one but as they are on a 6 episode probation period they prob wanted to get it as perfect as possible

Occasionally, not religiously. If it's on and I'm channel surfing I'll leave it on for a bit, if I hear a band I want to hear is going to be playing I'll watch the whole show.

I know I'm going off subject here but I have to say that Magazine were amazing when they were on Jools Holland a few weeks back

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Continue discussion !!

Later With Jools Holland is fucking shite

:)

Later is a great show. some shite on it every now and then but that's music for ya. egos and opinions flying left, right and centre. i have seen more amazing performances on Later than I have shite ones so will gladly put up with that to catch the odd gem. that show has been going 30 years or so, this show has been going 1 day and people are criticising it to death already.

if you do not watch tv then there is no point being in the conversation but if you do you will know that there is a serious amount of crap on and anything that is not x-factor is very welcome in my book

I think you're way off here The Scientician. There's plenty of people out there who'll watch a show like this. Not everyone lives online.
I'd heard of all the bands on the programme but I'd only actually heard 4 of them before. And I'd only ever heard 2 of the songs before.
For all the hullabaloo about Grizzly Bear I couldn't be fucking arsed looking them up online. TV is different.

I don't know, you could be right. I think its scheduling is ridiculous though and stymies the show's chances. I know not everybody lives online but a show like this is competing with the internet in a way a show in a different format wouldn't be. Jools Holland airs live, unique performances, with quality production. This show only has a few minutes of unique content that anybody would be bothered watching, The Delorentos bit etc. An hour long live show would be better or as I said spending the money on more documentaries that focus on aspects of music in Ireland would be a better spend imho.

So you can't be arsed looking up a couple of songs by a band but you'll sit through an hour of different music that could be good or shite to find out if said band are any good. Fair enough.

if you do not watch tv then there is no point being in the conversation but if you do you will know that there is a serious amount of crap on and anything that is not x-factor is very welcome in my book

X-Factor gets ratings, generates revenue. Ultimately that is what matters in television. Sometimes high quality and a large scale audience come hand in hand, but it is a rarity.

:)
anything that is not x-factor is very welcome in my book

Y'see this is the problem for me. Not being the X Factor is not a quality, just a fact and the idea that anything that isnt the X Factor is better than anything on the X Factor makes absolutely no sense to me just as the idea that getting some Arctic Monkeys fans to buy Grizzly Bear albums constitutes some sort of victory for music.

Also, Jules Holland, just to reiterate, is shite.

I thought it was pretty good tbh; a lot better than other shows RTE have attempted in the past. As has been said, let's see how it develops over the 6 episodes, but the music selection was ok and I like both presenters (though Elton shows his inexperience, but maybe he gets better). Music is always going to be subjective so you can't please everyone etc. I quite liked The Dodos; i hadn't come across them before. Good stuff.

Y'see this is the problem for me. Not being the X Factor is not a quality, just a fact and the idea that anything that isnt the X Factor is better than anything on the X Factor makes absolutely no sense to me just as the idea that getting some Arctic Monkeys fans to buy Grizzly Bear albums constitutes some sort of victory for music.

Also, Jules Holland, just to reiterate, is shite.

Hear, hear.

I thought it was pretty good tbh; a lot better than other shows RTE have attempted in the past. As has been said, let's see how it develops over the 6 episodes, but the music selection was ok and I like both presenters (though Elton shows his inexperience, but maybe he gets better). Music is always going to be subjective so you can't please everyone etc. I quite liked The Dodos; i hadn't come across them before. Good stuff.

main point. the problem is the 6 shows have been pre-recorded as far as i know so it needs viewers to give them a chance to take criticism constructively and evolve from there

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back