What you been listening to this week? (1 Viewer)

Jefferson Starship - Red Octopus
Someone mentioned Starship on these boards earlier. I've never listened beyond Jefferson Airplane before despite hearing good things about JS. My initial excitement quickly waned and I turned it off to listen to...

Doesnt sound to bad if it is a bit cheesy or maybe I just expected much worse kind of makes me think of bad 70's clothes though
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Doesnt sound to bad if it is a bit cheesy or maybe I just expected much worse kind of makes me think of bad 70's clothes though

Yeah, well that is a great song but the album overall is not up to that standard

I'm listening to all of this:

Sly-and-the-Family-Stone-Higher-box-set.jpg

currently on disc 3 of 4

J
Vic Chesnutt live at The Button Factory, Dublin 1 December 2007 bootleg:
Great night. Mainly stuff from the first album he had out on Constellation with Godspeed/your man from Fugazi as his backing band. Everything had more power live and the band really worked well with the older songs too. Insanely sad listening back to it though given his death not too long after this.

Even sadder when you consider that Jason Molina played Crawdaddy the night before, and hung around in Dublin to go to this gig. I took a pic of him outside having a smoke, but lost it when that phone died.

An amazing couple of days for gigs and, as you said, insanely sad to think back on now.

The+Dawn.jpg

a fanmade triple album compilation of Prince's mid 90's stuff, complete with godawful artwork up to his mid 90's 'standard'.

Glorious Construction of Prince’s Mid-90s Unreleased Masterwork

As fan releases go, The Dawn is hands down one of the all time greats – with stunning studio quality sound, edited as professionally as any major label release. Over the years, Prince’s unreleased, mid-90s masterwork was spread piecemeal across various albums, scuttled projects and extended mix singles. Even casual fans could hear the connected threads that littered various albums like Gold Experience, Come, The Beautiful Experience and a slew of maxi-singles, but the big picture was always elusive… maybe even to Prince himself. Was this particular 3CD vision of The Dawn (a title Prince did have in the works) what he actually intended? Probably not. But, as a longtime fan, I can unequivocally state that the compilers of The Dawn have done a better job of it than Prince has (so far, anyway). Fanatics will enjoy hearing these mid-90s Prince essentials and rare mixes gathered into a massive conceptual structure, while non-fans get an introduction to the utterly fantastic music Prince was making back when no one was paying attention (since falling from public favor over his name-changing, face-painting antics). I’ve loved most of this material for years – though, many of these mixes are culled from outtakes and lesser known re-mixes – and hearing it all expertly compiled in one place brings new life to material I had overlooked myself (like the stitched together contractual obligation, Chaos And Disorder). Three, 19 track discs… each exactly 77 minutes in length. That’s attention to detail. Grab the gorgeous artwork, too.It might be fair to call this Prince’s greatest “release,” had he desired, or been allowed, to put it out like this himself.

from here - Willard's Wormholes » P The Dawn (1995/2008)

Sonic Youth - Washing Machine
I guess it's a kinda transitional album and unlike anything else they've done while at the same time sounding exactly like all their other albums. Easily my favorite.

U.S. Maple - Talker
I dunno, excellent guitar rock.

AMM - Newfoundland
Frickin amazing. One of my all time favorites. It's hard to imagine that they just pulled this out of their hole like that, it sounds like a well thought out piece of experimental collage or something like that.

Syd Barrett - Opel
I had a hankering to listen to the title track and then carried on with the rest of the album which is both a complete mess and beautiful.

Led Zeppelin - Houses Of The Holy
The mellotrons and piano are too overbearing on Rain Song, Robert Plant isn't up to the job for most of the time and No Quarter is rubbish. Everything else is pretty deadly though.

Syd Barrett - Barrett
I thought I had decided against Richard Wright's organ playing on this one but it's pretty good after all.

Ghost - In Stormy Nights
Irritating shite. I used to like this.

Syd Barrett - The Madcap Laughs

Pink Floyd - The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
Roger Waters was pretty good on the bass back then. I think Syd gets a bit too much of the credit for making this album what it is, all the playing is deadly.

Pink Floyd - Tonite Let's all make Love in London
Having a pretty Syd Barretty time lately...

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Free For All
Another old favorite, ferocious fiery jazz (bop maybe? i dunno my jazz genres). I saw an old concert from the 60s on tv sometime when I was in school (rte used to show jazz concerts quite regularly for some reason, to fill time probably) but couldn't find any of his tapes in dublin. I got this album when I finally got a cd player.

Maurice Duruflé - Complete Organ Works (performed by Todd Wilson)
Organ works. Quite good.

Robbie Basho - Visions of the Country
I've never really been a fan of fingerpicking guitarists but I've always enjoyed Basho especially this album where he sings a fair bit plays piano for half of it.

Robert Wyatt - Shleep
I love this. All this catchy poppy music was quite a surprise after the previous 15 or 20 years of his music.

Current 93 - Soft Black Stars
I hadn't listened to this one for a long time, I used to find it a bit dreary and I still do.

Muslimgauze - Jazirat-Ul Arab
I'm trying to do my Farsi homework and this is a bit too distracting.

Nurse With Wound - Insect And Individual Silenced
Not too familiar with this one. It's ok, I suppose.

The Silence - The Silence
New Masaki Batoh project. Fucking dreadful.

Todd Rundgren - Global
New album, a few cringey songs but surprisingly good overall.

Omit - Interior Desolation
Angsty and droney.

Sonic Youth - Sister
Classic Sonic Youth.

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
I'd forgotten how good this is. I still think it's too long though, I get bored after Total Trash.

Robert Wyatt - Dondestan
But definitely not Dondestan (revisited). Fuck that. I needed to relax and unwind and this is just the thing for that.

Mohammad Reza Shajarian - Bote Chin
I don't like this one as much as some of the others of his that I've been listening to, at least not of first listen

Sinéad O'Connor - The Lion And The Cobra
I'd forgotten how good this is too.

Sinéad O'Connor - Theology
I spent the last few years thinking Theology was her best album (the acoustic disc, that is. The band disc is an abomination) but it's nowhere near as good as the Lion and the Cobra. Probably not as good as IDNWWIHG either. But it is good.

Sinéad O'Connor - I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got
I was right, this is also way better than Theology.

Fushitsusha - Origin's Hesitation
This is good for masking the prick hammering upstairs. It's good apart from that too, I like it. Banging, clattering and yelping.

It's been ages since I had a CD in the car but I got a few on RSD.

This has been my driving soundtrack this week

Prolapse - never heard of this lot until a few weeks ago. A big influence on Mogwai apparently (but much better than them) and they are playing a few shows soon after reforming.

Trust Fund - if you like Ginnels then I reckon you'll enjoy this. Same kind of sound. Loads of really catchy songs.

Prince - The Dawn - As described above, it's fantastic.

Parliament - Osmium - Mental. Bonus tracks on my version include some awesome singles that are close to interchangeable with early Funkadelic.

Charli XCX - Sucker - I keep going back on forth with this. I'm back in the "I love this album" camp. Very mid 2000's sounding pop. I'd imagine she'd be great at a festival.

Charli XCX - True Romance - Her first album. I don't like it but it seems to be more popular. All very Lana Del Ray style being moody = making serious art. Features some dodgy rapping as well.

Pearl Harbour - Don't Follow me I'm Lost Too - 1980 rockabilly with the Blockheads and the Clash as the incognito backing band. Fantastic stuff. If only Imeldafromtheliberties was this good.

Pearl Harbour - Pearls Galore! - there's two albums called this, both massively unsuccessful. This is the second one. The sound is expanded to include a Cyndi Lauper kind of vibe on top of the rockabilly stuff. It's really good as well, pity it's so unknown. Trivia from one of the horn players on it:

Apparently, the Specials horns (of whom we were all big fans) had played on an earlier studio version of the song "Flirt", recorded in England, i presume - and a bunch of us were called into a studio in New York to re-record the horns with something more Poppy -which meant kind of simple, stock horn parts and a super simple solo by yours truly. The Specials tenorman had put a beautiful sax solo on there - very jazzy and energetic (one I'd love to hear on the radio or anywhere else), but some genius thought it was "too out there" for a pop single. Well, I wasn't proud but, it was a gig so I did what I was asked, and down went the Specials' horns.

Don Armando's 2nd Avenue Rhumba Band - Deputy Of Love - Crazy mutant disco from 1979, brilliant if you're into that kinda thing.

Soko - My dreams dictate my reality - I don't feel beautiful or bohemian enough to be allowed listen to this. I like a few tracks off it...

Suzanne Sundfor - 10 Love Songs - the biggest thing in Norway apparently. It's got an interesting mix of classical kind of piano and very modern synth sounds. A bit of a struggle to get through all of it but it feels like there's a lot in there.

Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Lets Face It - Holds up well imho

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back