More Recording wisdom than you can shake a stick at. (1 Viewer)

RED(tape)MENACE

Since 2000
Website
www.myspace.com
It is with great sadness indeed that I announce the passing of an audio legend. Friend. Innovator. Free spirit and indisputable AE oracle.

Jack Meinoff Ortmann III passed away quietly in his sleep after a long and heroic fight with dengue fever, surrounded by friends and family at his opulant North Hollywood, Ca. home Wednesday Nov. 27th 2002.

As all you RecPit regulars know. Jack's all too brief apperance here on RecPit was provided by him as a final, loving service(capping a staggering 15 years of dedicated achivement) to the AE community at large.

In an incredibly exciting 9 day run between the 16th-23rd Nov. 2002. As AE's all over world sat glued to their computer screens, Jack generously imparted a massive and bewildering flurry of information for further deep reflection and intense perusal by his host of affecianados, both old and new.

I have, with kind permission from Jack's estate, taken the liberty of collecting every surviving scrap of the legendary Ortman intelligensia culled from this remarkable series of internet exchanges.

Feel free to log on and provide your own personal stories and testimonials to Jack and his amazing legacy in the annals of modern AE. It is with great pride and humility I announce I was a personal friend of Jack's and he did me many a kind and generous turn in the 14.9 years I knew him.

I only hope we can stick together and somehow forge on with grace and joy in celebration of this great and unique individual whose legacy may quite possibly never be matched in the history of our craft.

Goodbye Jack. You will never be forgotten.

On 16 Nov 2002 04:38 jackortman wrote:

Quote:

Many bad records are made with old gear like Neve and Telofunken, Almost all old vinyl albums made with old gear, listen to how dirty and scratchy they sound! Old mic pres are TOO OLD! For fresh tones you need to use fresh gear. I recomend DBX, they make the sound that pros use. LOOK AT THEIR ADS! VERY PRO!

I do not see any telefunken ads!
Crhistina Argrelerria would not use ancient stuff. HER MUSIC IS TOO Fresh!

Fletcher sells old gear, but do not expect to make today's hits with his deals. You need to get the latest "tube" sounds from DBX or Sure.

--
Jack Ortman
"Serving Audio Professionals for 15 Years"

http://www.geocities.com/jackortmanaudio

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 21 Nov 2002 09:07 jackortman wrote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a very good question. I will answer to the best of my abilities. AES is considered the best because it uses a forked connection, seperating hot from cold. Makes lots of cents. Many beginner boxes use SFIDS. BAD! The are the same as Radio Shack. I laugh at my friends who have Radio Shack stereos. Never put this in your studio, fidelity is very picky.

If you have to have SFIDS in studio, make sure to take cautions. Raise it up on a pillow or two. Never touch water while using. DO NOT EVEN DRINK! Then make sure gain is set to the best quality and use a ground lift. This should help you record like a PRO.

-
Jack Ortman
"Serving Audio Professionals for 15 Years"

http://www.geocities.com/jackortmanaudio

On 21 Nov 2002 09:24 jackortman wrote:

Quote:

Drums are very important in recording. Start with good microphones. I use the LEGENDARY SM-57 for all drums. Get the right microphones AND YOU WILL NOT NEEDE COMRESSION!

Never use old gear. Many old songs were on old radio, you want more bass for today's music. I always turn up bass for extra low. My friend Pete likes to say "MAKE IT FOOONKY!".

On 21 Nov 2002 23:32 jackortman wrote:

Quote:

I am sorry if these tips do not help. BUT YOU MUST LEARN! To listen is the most important, if they do not help you know, they will make cents later.

Try to apply with your own music. SOON YOU WILL JAM! I promise, but at e start it is not easy. You must follow the steps and become great. Soon your friends will ask you too how you became so PRO.

Good luck and happy getting tones!!!

On 22 Nov 2002 14:19 jackortman wrote:

Quote:

No I think you the points. I am telling about good EQ. I do not wish to fight. I AM A LOVER.

On 22 Nov 2002 02:07 jackortman wrote:

Quote:

Always use lots of EQ. I start with 4, but if you are not familiar wih frequencies, try using 5 or 6. Sometimes your clients will want lots of bass. You can adjust the mix between low and treble by turning te knob to the rite side.

I always lik warmer EQ this is where you will get things to the maximum k. 900 is pretty low, considering HD will do up to 152. Too much compression will take away k. This is where you can spot the newest gear. things will be sounding as clean without buzzing or clipped bits.

On 21 Nov 2002 12:11 jackortman wrote:

Quote:

I am posting this for all who are new to audio. Many times I am asked question about how my studio is set up. Many do not know the steps to PRO. Here is some good advice for all.

-Always start with the song. Music is most important part. Everything should serve the song. Try to suspend chords until the end.
-for rock voice use very little chorus.
for rap voice use medium flange.
-for classical voice use no effects. Pretty easy to remeber since Bark did not have chorus in his day!
-for funk voice use light chorus and flange.
-mix the most important part of the song to be loudest. if you do not have a good band, turn the best person loudest. If you havea great band, turn everyone loud.
-connect gear by putting only cables that fit into the rite holes.
-if you do not know how to use EQs, DO NOT USE THEM! Use an extra pre-amp instead.
-always use gold on cables.
-pan guitar 1 to right, guitar 2 toleft, vocal to middle, bass kinda right, drums middle, high hats to the left, keyboards always sound best at 8 and 3 oclock. Tip-for Beetles sound, pan vocals to left.

ADVANCED TIPS
Jimmy Hendrix used backwards effects, you can get them by learning the song backwards, then playing it forward.
Mixes should sound good in mono, listen to each speaker seperately. I usually have some veryfuzzy earmuffs to cover one ear. when ot sounds good i listen to the other speaker. Gives you SUPER SOUND STAGE!
16bi8t is lowest quality, 24bit is middle. Logic gives you 40 bits, both 16 and 24 at the same time. Highest quality, betterthan analog, with sweet saturations.
Close your eyes to mix. Keeps you from turing the same knobs. YOU WILL BE ORIGINAL!
People can not hear high end very well. Dogs can hear much higher. Keep this in mind when you mix with Portools HD.
John Lennon once said that recording is full of surprises and to record suprises too, so keep on your toes and maybe you will think of great tunes like Imagine.
Find inspiration in things. I once wrote a song about my coat. VERY COOL.

Follow this guide and your studio will start to sound more pro. Keep your fidelity good, and your music fresh.

On 23 Nov 2002 13:06 jackortman wrote:

Quote:

Very funny you guys. I HAVE CENTS OF HUMOR TOO! Some of my PRO work is from comedians where I have been in charge of the SOUND!

New kids alkways get teased. I know you will LISTEN and LEARN to these tips. But be nice from now on. Soon my clients will visit here to see my tips and expereince. You will look PRO too.

we all weep bitter tears into our bitter

ah....Jack, you sonofabeeatch, go and die owing me money! But, alas, knowing that the $100 I lent him went to crack and extremely ugly whores leaves me with a warm feeling. And its fair to say that I learned much from him via his all too often harsh, screeching "critteaks," as this dyslexic, drug-addled pervert called them. I learned the secret of transferring clean recordings to micro-cassette, sanding off most of the oxide, storing it between huge magnets, then boiling the tape in treacle will give you that authentic "high on every drug known" sound... when he hired me as "assistant" it came as quite a shock to discover that he was looking for somebody who's ass is tanned ... once we got that cleared up, he was only interested in keeping me around to lance his boils, but I did get to polish his collection of porcelain tumors on occasion. Rest in peace, you pig-buggering coprophile...I'll pour a bottle of whiskey over yer grave, soon as my kidneys are done with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back