What you been listening to this week? (4 Viewers)

Funkadelic - S/T - I've been making a bit of a concentrated effort to get properly into Parliament and Funkadelic recently. As a white guy who grew up with guitar music the early Funkadelic stuff is much more accessible and less challenging even though Parliament are officially the more well known of the two.

This is the first funkadelic album and it's the most 60's sounding of their stuff (that i've heard), a fairly seamless synthesis of Hendrix guitar-soling, big long bluesey grooves and chanting. I remember dismissing this stuff years ago as just endless guitar solo-ing and while it kind of still is I find it more appealing now. I think i just have a hankering for live musicianship these days.

Lonelady - Hinterland - stripped back, funky post-punk. Not exactly a breakthrough musically but it's a great album.

Prince - Purple Rain outtakes - as well as the 4 albums he released in 1984 there's a bunch of live and unreleased stuff knocking about from that year. The most amazing thing is how there's no drop in quality in the unreleased stuff; there's a song called Possessed that he played at most gigs but never actually bothered to release. I can see him burning all this stuff on his deathbed out of spite before he'll release it though so bootlegs is all we got :(

Toots & the Maytals - couple of compilations. Their catalogue is a mess but there's piles of good stuff in there.

John Carpenter- Welcome to Point Reyes - @george mcfly made me this, sure it's great so it is, moody synths and some metal guitarring. I haven't seen any of the films the stuff is taken from so i'm probably listening to it all wrong.

Michael Jackson - Blood on the Dancefloor - HIStory in the Mix - The new songs on this probably sound better in retrospect than they did at the time. No real surprises though; Morphine is a pretty good attempt at a melodramatic Nine Inch Nails kinda song. The remixes are mainly forgettable mid 90's dance shite but there's a few good ones, the funky Flyte Time version of Scream works better for me than the original song.

Kristin Hersh - Crooked - Misery. Took me a few years to get into this but it's a really fantastic album. Mad stuff though from this interview:

Kristin Hersh said:
A girl just killed herself and left my lyrics as her suicide note, she carved them into her arms. I tried to keep her alive for her last day on earth just writing to her and the whole day... (cries)

You’ve just found this out?

It happened last year. She’s a homeless junkie who couldn’t get into my shows so would sit outside and listen. She never told me. She would have been on the guest list and I couldn’t keep her alive...

It was a really hard lesson to learn this late in my career. There are people who have died to my music because they wanted to and cancer was killing them and that’s like being part of hospice care, it’s something I have no attachment to because it was their song. But this, I knew that song was a mistake. It was on my last solo record and I knew it was just too, too dark. I should have listened and realised this isn’t a gift, this is like holding out a razor blade. But I dropped the ball. It didn’t lift her up beyond her pain and it didn’t do that for me either. The vocal take ends in a choking sob, I couldn’t do it again so they used that one and that shoulda told me don’t put it on the freakin’ record, get it out. It won’t happen again, that’s all.
In Conversation: Kristin Hersh | Features | Clash Magazine

Charli XCX - Sucker and Heartsrevolution - Ride or Die

I realised how very similar these two albums from last year are, pop punk guitars, manga synths and vocals and a general inyourface attitude. Like Helen Love mixed with Shampoo but less head-wrecking. The Heartsrevolution one totally sank without a trace though, which is a pity. They actually have a bit of a proper anti-authoritarian angle as well, Charli XCX mainly sings about how it would be great if she was more famous and successful.

John Cale/Tony Conrad/Angus MacLise/La Monte Young/Marian Zazeela Inside the Dream Syndicate Volume I: Day of Niagara (1965):
30 minutes of solid drone from the 60s, released without Young's consent and now out of print because he refuses to credit Cale and Conrad with composition credits as he sees all these recordings as being his compositions. They, on the other hand, maintain that these were group improvisations with equal authorship. I don't see the argument being resolved in their lifetimes.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Catherine Christer Hennix The Electric Harpsichord:
Electronic piece based around some heavy maths theory. The liner notes give me flashbacks to maths exams in college but the music itself is wonderful. Not too long, about half an hour; long enough to become immersed in the shifting tones but not taking the piss either.

Kronos Quartet Short Stories:
Kronos do a bunch of different composers, some are good, some are great, some are complete dogshit. Something for everybody!

Terry Riley The Harp of New Albion:
Double LP of pieces for piano in various just intonation tunings. Quite different to most of the Riley recordings I have (which are either "In C" or tape loop experiments), very beautiful even if it veers a bit close to new age.

ELpH Zwölf:
EP by Coil under their ELpH persona. Haunting and sparse piece written for the the new millenium. Glitches, pops, warbles and ghostly beats.

The Beatles Revolver:
I never really bothered with The Beatles until that round of CD reissues a couple of years ago. Obviously I knew their singles and I knew the early stuff but the later albums were largely a mystery to me. I picked up this after "Tomorrow Never Knows" was included on Mad Men, it sounded amazing and I was utterly surprised that The Beatles had basically invented The Chemical Brothers in 1966.

Ira Cohen The Majoon Traveler:
Mixture of Cohen's poetry, avant garde jamming and recordings of North African musicians all packaged up in Cohen's wonderful mylar portrait photography. There's shades of Allen Ginsberg in the words, though far more hash has been involved. The North African recordings are full on and create this feeling of ecstasy which just soars for 8-9 minutes at a time. Cohen sounds like a shaman over it and then Don Cherry steps up. Fucking class.

Meredith Monk Turtle Dreams:
I can't remember what documentary it was but it was something about contemporary composition. In it, they played a sizeable chunk of the film that is supposed to accompany the title track here. Monk and her vocal ensemble move through this simple but repetitive choreography set to the rhythm of a three note organ refrain. Over it they sing like birds (almost literally given that Monk's approach to extended vocal techniques was in its prime here). It was shockingly good and I tracked down this LP and a bunch of other albums of hers. None of them match this unfortunately, Turtle Dreams is one of those perfect albums. The second side is a set of smaller pieces which are equally as masterful as the title track. Some of it sounds like the stuff Coil was doing years later on their Moon's Milk and Musick to Play in the Dark albums.

Pandit Pran Nath Earth Groove: The Voice of Cosmic India
Pandit Pran Nath Ragas of Morning & Night:
Indiant classical singing from the man who mentored La Monte Young, Terry Riley, Yoshi Wada, Don Cherry, Charlemagne Palestine, etc. I don't know enough about Indian classical to have any major input here but it's terrific stuff. I'm not sure if the sounds of him clearing his nose and throat during some of the performances are needed though...

Vic Chesnutt live at The Button Factory, Dublin 1 December 2007 bootleg:
Great night. Mainly stuff from the first album he had out on Constellation with Godspeed/your man from Fugazi as his backing band. Everything had more power live and the band really worked well with the older songs too. Insanely sad listening back to it though given his death not too long after this.

Pandit Pran Nath Raga Cycle, Palace Theater, Paris 1972:
Better sounding recording than the ones above. This one also features Young, Zazeela and Riley playing tamburas and tabla. Added bonus is that this one doesn't cost a hundred quid either. Strangely, it's not on YouTube.

Stars of the Lid Gravitational Pull vs. The Desire for an Aquatic Life:
I really, really, really like SOTL but for some reason I never play this one. I should play it more, it's nice.

Alice Coltrane Transfiguration:
It took me a while to get into this one (more so the electric piano playing) but it's bedding in nicely now. I need more lady Coltrane in my life.

Wraiths Plaguebearer
Wraiths The Grey Emperor
Wraiths Dust in Our Mouths:
Murky noise-cum-ambient albums from this duo. Perfect cosmic horror soundtrack, generates a heady sense of dread.

Human Greed Consolation
Human Greed Pilgrim: New World Homestead:
First two albums by this duo. I think they've gotten better in recent years as they have incorporated more musical passages into their sound but these are nice examples of 90s ambient/soundscape stuff. Some unsettling vocal samples and occasional melodic sweeps hint at the things to come.

I think this one is a lot better than a substantial chunk of Coltrane's more straight work, nudging it into classic territory for me.
Interesting. I'd put it near the bottom of the list of his output. Most of it blows this away. This is some tame stuff, and a totally misleading title.

Sutekh Hexen ~ Monument Of Decay CD reissue that was on tape and 12" has a long extra track added to it wich has 15 minutes of silence in the middle of it ! Somewhere between black metal and noise like a wall of hiss with musical parts hidden underneath all tracks are very short so it doesn't get boring I think its great.

Year of no light ~ Tocsin French instrumental group that have a good few releases but this is the only one I have heard. A sort of post rock meets doom metal songs with slow and fat riff's that build ups and crescendo. I was a bit put off by the keyboards in it at first but they are kind of interesting overall not bad.

The great old ones ~ Tekeli-li There second album from last year some vocals are here and spoken word parts in between songs but it is fairly instrumental another french band and kind of like post rock meets black metal the sound is not so fat and everything is played really fast I also think this is great

Virus ~ Carheart Straight up basic enough rock stuff but with there own slightly idiosyncratic twist this lives some where close to the boarder of the land of metal but has to many other influence's in it to be really metal. One member is known from another band that only ever put out a single album years ago so that is why Im interested.

Troum & Aidan Baker ~ Nihtes Niht Second collaboration between the two the album some how sounds quite like it always needs some extra volume. Slow moving creepy stuff with strange sounds sneaking around the place low bass sounds scraping metal harmonic guitar parts noises and whooshes etc all in all a curious listen I guess I am a little undecided but it is growing on me.

Reutoff vs Troum ~ Kreuzung Zwei (Creatura Per Creaturam Continetur) Part of a remix series which usually has some mutual remixes. Here troum are useing reutoffs materials and adding there own typical sounds harmonic drones weird noises distorted voices etc one song with percussions at times sounding depressive or regretfull. This was reissued on 2xlp with two more long tracks overall a succesfull work.

Cisfinitum ~ Industriewerke 2002-2012 Compilation of odds and ends. Using thermen violin keyboards computers etc manages to create some unusual and original enough sounds. A bit less ambient than there other stuff there are allot of percussions here and some very noisy and explosive parts but more ambient and downbeat parts as well the only song I dont like is the one that uses game boy sounds otherwise it is not bad and doesn't get to boring or tired easily

Genocide Organ ~ KwaZulu-NaTaL lp of a live recording that disappeared in a blip last year but is around digitally. Over the top noise and power electronics as usual but somehow seeming less political and aggressive and maybe also less bass heavy almost like an enjoyable psych noise I suppose for this sort of thing it is a good enough example of it

Hildegard Von Bingen ~ O Orzchis Ecclesia (Barbara Zanichelli/Ensemble San Felice) Music attributed to Hildegard of Bingen mostly a single female voice doing some classical and operatic sounding singing in Latin with a really minimal accompaniment like choir and some sort of harp a bit medieval sounding but beautiful and peacefull stuff

Lux Interna ~ There Is Light In The Body There Is Blood In The Sun US group that were based in europe for some years now with some newer members a drummer and violin sort of acoutic group that became more folk rock electric guitar drums violin and a few other things thrown into it think this is great stuff although the last two songs sound like outros they should have put one at the start as an intro

925;track_num=2[/MEDIA]

Last edited:

Scorching/Blistering/Insert adjective of choice guitar work from a young Richie Blackmore

SUM IT UP IN 10 WORDS OR LESS.
Funkadelic - S/T - white people like this.
Lonelady - Hinterland - music
Prince - Purple Rain outtakes -
Purple Rain outtakes
Toots & the Maytals - couple of compilations - That Morrissey quote about reggae
John Carpenter- Welcome to Point Reyes - GRG Mcfly
Michael Jackson - Blood on the Dancefloor - HIStory in the Mix - save de kids
Kristin Hersh - Crooked - ---
Charli XCX - Sucker and Heartsrevolution - Ride or Die - pop music.

Funkadelic - S/T - white people like this.
Lonelady - Hinterland - music
Prince - Purple Rain outtakes - Purple Rain outtakes
Toots & the Maytals - couple of compilations - That Morrissey quote about reggae
John Carpenter- Welcome to Point Reyes - GRG Mcfly
Michael Jackson - Blood on the Dancefloor - HIStory in the Mix - save de kids
Kristin Hersh - Crooked - ---
Charli XCX - Sucker and Heartsrevolution - Ride or Die - pop music.

applauuuuuuuse :D

A-ha - East of the Sun, West of the Moon
Very middle of the road stuff. It's never flat-out bad but when ever there comes a point where they could have shook things up a bit they always made the decision to get real tame. That's a play on a Jandek lyric there.

Madonna - True Blue
I wanted to listen to her new one but I'm having trouble uploading it to Google Music. The last time I listened to this one was 1988. A friend borrowed my tape and then we moved house before I got it back. Mostly great songs and a few weak ones.

Beatriz Ferreyra - GRM Works
First listen, a bit too much drone for me. I've given her a chance, she won't be getting another.

Ground Zero - Plays Standards
Instrumental covers, often fairly chaotic. There are obviously musical steroids involved and there's horrible sax all over it which almost wrecks it but overall it's still mostly deadly .

Michel Redolfi - Pacific Tubular Waves / Immersion
Another first listen, nice.

AMM - Generative Themes
Well, I like it but it doesn't have the eerie mysteriousness of their best work. There are still hints here of jazzers jamming except not really.

Young Fathers - White Men Are Black Men Too
First listen. I liked their last album a lot on first listen and then quickly tired of it on subsequent listens. This, initially at least, sounds like one of the subsequent listens to the first album. Nice music but it doesn't really engage me.

C.W. Vrtacek ‎– When Heaven Comes To Town
I like this a lot. Label blurb: "Side one successfully essays a fascinating project - to invoke a half-distracted internal world moving within, and sometimes responsive to, a half-heard external world. Snatches of melody, echoing a kind of stream-of- consciousness, emerge from and sink into documentary sound which runs parallel with it. Not random but embodying a complex and subtle aesthetic. Side 2 consists of pieces, mostly for piano and guitar, that stretch into silence but wholly absorb. Zen, Satie, Hitchcock"

Pumice - Quo
One of my favorite albums of the naughties, full of catchy instrumental and vocal songs. Pumice is a one man band from new zealand - drums with his feet, guitar in the conventional manner (fantastic guitarist), sings in to a shit microphone, surrounded by various gadgets and tapes that squeal and make noise almost drowning out the instruments. I'm not sure if he does the one-man-band thing on the albums though, or if that's just from necessity when playing live. It's handy when the first song on album is the worst one as you can just start at track 2.

Jefferson Starship - Red Octopus
Someone mentioned Starship on these boards earlier. I've never listened beyond Jefferson Airplane before despite hearing good things about JS. My initial excitement quickly waned and I turned it off to listen to...

Roger Waters - Amused to Death
A ludicrous album. I saw a piece about the upcoming reissues so I had a listen. I listen maybe every three or four years generally and this time I liked it a lot more than I remember liking it before. It's a bit too long but mostly entertaining.

Marty Robbins - Under Western Skies (disc 1)
A 4cd compilation with some of the finest music ever recorded. I adore Marty. Disc 1 has Gunfighter Ballads & Trail Songs and various other songs about shootin, hangin, bad women and stampeding cattle.

looooving

It's kind of a mixed bag. feel like vocal mixes are too low in places and in other places that works. i actually pretty much like it overall, but its really patchy and weird in places. might be a grower?

<3 <3 mighty.

Ain Soph ~ Ars Regia
Originally a cassete released in 1986 Spooky organ music and wierd voices with effects speaking and chanting in italian fairly slow moveing stuff that is a little bit dark. From the old cassette tradeing scene at that time I think it is considered even a classic but for them but I would say they did better for instance with Kshatriya

Arc ~ The Circle Is Not Round
Aiden Baker project that he does with his brother Richard more guitar drone stuff with lots of effects loops backwards sounds etc His brother add's percussion to the whole thing which sounds nice and light and uplifting Baker has put out tons of stuff but I am really not sure what is best

Cisfinitum ~ Tactio
Live concert that happened in a old cathedral in Bremen Germnany more droneology what is used here are mostly bell sounds that reverberate off each other and in between are some electronic processed nosies one long peice that always shifts and changes and has a rhythmic part at the end

Paulin Bündgen ‎~ Etrange Septembre
Paulin Bündgen is a french operatic singer the album starts with some pipes and applause then goes into some rhythmic and electronic thing the next is just his voice with some kind of drum that sounds eastern or medieval a real mixed bag of electronics old instruments and his singing

Rapoon + Wyrm ‎~ Dreamtime Pantheist
CD/DVD very nicely produced release on a Japanese label that is only in a few hundred copies ambient stuff with lots of weird strange and spooky noises looped distroted voices whistles bleeps and who knows what else maybe it even sounds like a science fiction soundtrack at times worth the effort to track this down

Reutoff ~ NullRauM
Compilation of the completed 7"s series called reutraum the idea was to capture the differnt feeling or atmospheres of various places in the Moscow suburb where the group take there name from. Reutoff released allot over the years and it is really not necessary to hear everything they did this however is a good work by them and good overview and introduction.

Nick Soudnick ‎~ Tauromakhia
Odd stuff with sounds created in unconventional ways useing things like metal wood strings and electronics but also more real instruments like trumpet clarinet and violin like if some weird muppets tried to make an orkestra out of scrap heap or something he plays also in Zga and Vetrophonia

Jüppala Kääpiö ‎~ Sporing Promenade
With Hitoshi Kojo who had some releases under his own name and others things this duo is a mixture of electronically treated stuff with more natural and found sounds from objects and things unintelligible male and female voices moaning and chanting sometimes sounding delicate but also like a really carefree experimentation and at other times a bit more more serious

free download

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• G
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back