What was your favourite book as a kid? (1 Viewer)

remember these lads? there was a character called sinead and i'd never come across the name before so i thought it was pronounced 'sin edd'
51iY0QM-EZL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg
1589376.jpg
I remember my parents were convinced they were gonna be as big as Disney. Didn't quite pan out. Was there a tv show as well?

He was my maths teacher.

Banville, not Hennessy.

did he talk about his books to you? They were quite good teenage things; people forming bands and drinking down the beach and stuff. I haven't gone back to check how they hold up mind

I read the complete George Orwell novels when I was 14 or 15, just to be the worlds best Manics fan. Ridiculous.

I remember reading Dracula in school one day and this other guy saying "I didn't know Dracula wrote any books". I asked him what he was talking about and he pointed at the cover and said "Bram Stoker by Dracula". 15, he was.

Catch – 22 for a kid? Are you mental? I found that extremely tough going as an adult. Reckon I’d have gotten approximately 4 lines in as a kid.

Also The Picture of Dorian Gray ? For a twelve year old maybe they could get into it I think it might be very dense or richly written.

I read both Catch-22 and Dorian Grey as a young teenager. Wilde is no more difficult than any of the other classics (Twain, Verne, etc.) and Catch-22 works on so many levels that I've gotten completely different things out of it but really enjoyed every read through of it.

i lived for this shit as a kid
usb.jpg

518EKDBWV8L._SY300_.jpg

I think I still have the Supernatural one with the cool skull somewhere. Must see if it's knocking around.

I was the worlds biggest Michael Scott fan when I was about 9 or 10.

Michael Scott (Irish author) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

his Irish legend and folklore stuff has held up, his own fantasy fiction is effing non stop action ridiculous and hasn't. I'd like to go back and try his horror again.

There was a werewolf one set in Wicklow (October Moon) and another more witchy, demonic one set at Newgrange. Both were great, would read them again.

Similarly I was a big fan of the Hennessy books but couldn't handle how unbelievably shite the cover-art was

w237349.jpg
n310729.jpg

I had the one with the green cover but don't think I read it because, like you, I thought the cover was too bad for the contents to be good.

I think I first read catcher at about 11 or so, and fell in love with it, and was obsessed throughout my teen years.

Yeah I know most people feel that way, he was moany as hell. i think the reason I liked it was that I'm moany, and during my own teens was particularly moany, and I kind of like that honesty in a narrator, particularly when its first person perspective. Might just be me though. Might also be the reason Harry Potter 5 is my favourite. I like moany.

I might have been moany as a teenager but I don't recall ever being that moany. I swear you could have given that character a million quid and a night with his ultimate fantasy ride and he would still call it a crumby, vomity experience.

I might have been moany as a teenager but I don't recall ever being that moany. I swear you could have given that character a million quid and a night with his ultimate fantasy ride and he would still call it a crumby, vomity experience.
goths_6279.jpg

He'd be right, because money and one off passionless sexual encounters are empty hallow experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back