What was your favourite book as a kid? (1 Viewer)

Some more stuff:

17mrhg30vcpdnjpg.jpg

Holes3.jpg

Jerry_Spinelli_-_Stargirl.jpg

graveyard-book.jpg

I was totally scanning your list to see if you did, but you didn't. Its a weird one, I bet she'd totally love John Green, actually, is it slightly older than 12? Not reading comprehension style or anything just love/death etc. But then I guess most good kids books are.

Sure aren't most 12 year olds wanting to read exclusively adults stuff anyway?

Just don't get her to read Looking for Alaska, that one has not stood the test of re-reading for me.
No? I haven't re-read it actually.

There's also David Levithan as well, I enjoy his stuff even if it's a bit cloying at times and very, very america centric.

I'm struggling to remember anything I read when I was 12 that wasn't a Blur biography. A lot of Terry Pratchett I think.

The Neverending Story is a novel another fantasy one but it is supposed to be good I think the midnight folk and the box of delights by john masefield might be all right also maybe the moomin trolls comic.

When I was that age I devoured books. We always had lots of books at home and I read nearly everything in our local library. Some favourites that I still love to read:
Jack London (Call of the Wild, White Fang...)
Jules Verne
HG Wells
Isaac Azimov's short stories - some of the novels were beyond me
The Coral Island by RM Ballantyne
Anything about Viking Mythology, Arthurian Legend and Irish legend
Agatha Christie
The Nero Wolfe stories by Rex Stout
Ivanhoe by Walter Scott

So many of the classics too. And they're a great option as being out of copyright you can buy cheap editions for next to nothing, or nice hardback ones for less than the cost of a more recent paperback.

I think myself, at that age I was reading like, classics like the Brontes, lots of Jules Verne, Victor Hugo, Kurt Vonnegut, but also lots of properly kiddish stuff like Goosebumps, Point Horror, The Babysitters Club etc.

Thing is there are lots of actually genuinely brilliant, and well written books aimed at kids that age that I never really had access to as a kid so I just read stuff like that, which isn't to say I didn't love it... but there's something way more compelling when you're that age about books about kids dealing with real life problems and powering through it. I didn't articulate that well

Actually anyone remember these?

61H0ORRvVKL._SL500_SY300_.jpg

I can't remember if they were anygood.
YES

I used to get so annoyed that I really enjoyed something that had the word "Skunk" in the title. The acronym did my head in.

Similarly I was a big fan of the Hennessy books but couldn't handle how unbelievably shite the cover-art was

w237349.jpg
n310729.jpg

remember these lads? there was a character called sinead and i'd never come across the name before so i thought it was pronounced 'sin edd'
51iY0QM-EZL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg
1589376.jpg

YES

I used to get so annoyed that I really enjoyed something that had the word "Skunk" in the title. The acronym did my head in.

Yes, it was really irritating. I think the one I liked was called "SKUNK and the Bride of Dracula" but I couldn't find a photo..

I'm trying to remember the name of a book.author I read where this boy goes on a school trip to Glendalough and then gets transported back in time and is maybe a monk or something..

oh and this was the first novel I ever read. I was about 7 or so, and the 6th class kids were studying it.. its funny, I could read all the words but wasn't able to fully conceptualise things. I remember reading the description for an (unnamed) orange, and not being able to understand that what was being described was an orange...
bygones, its still a good book

HR19-l.jpg

Amazon product ASIN 086020247XI remember this wasn't there a black and white image of a skull and you had to stare at it for a few minutes and then look at the wall and you would see a huge skull image floating there after it had been burned onto your retina

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back