What Twitter pile on are you watching right now (7 Viewers)

I think the main difference between the 2 is that fictional writing is generally an attempt to represent someone else's viewpoint whereas songwriting is generally seen as a direct representation of the artists viewpoint.
Once upon a time maybe, nowadays you have to represent yourself, your close community and no one else. STAY IN YOUR LANE WHITE WRITER. All fiction must be autobiographical and not really fiction at all. These are the new rules, you can disagree with them but you can't change them.

Christ that article is awfully wrongheaded. I'm sorry the book isn't all things to you and you alone, maybe that's a fault with yourself and not the books though since they're the same auld shite they were 20 years ago.

Last edited:
I am probably going to read the comments section at least 4 times over the course of the evenign though.

I'm just fascinated by wether generation potter are going to eventually burn their childhood or not. This on the day I finally read the lyrics to brown sugar.

I went in to the comments.

"PrettyAmiable Steve Rogers2 hours ago
I don't think you can say animagii (no idea how to make that plural) make her views on transphobia clear when Harry's dad is a prominent animagus."

It's perfectly fine to be a grown up who likes a thing for kids, I like Star Wars and pro wrestling, but you've got to know that the thing you like is a thing for kids.

Also, to call back Lili's point about staying in your lane before this came up, is JKR bad for having a white, hetero-normative core to her books series, with very little else, or is she good for not appropriating the lived experiences of others?

I keep looking at this and wondering if its real.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's perfectly fine to be a grown up who likes a thing for kids, I like Star Wars and pro wrestling, but you've got to know that the thing you like is a thing for kids.

Besides the biography section of the thing the one takeaway that is valid is that Rowling probably could step away from hammeriing these things home on twitter and the books could exist in isolation of their time.

I agree with you though.

I keep looking at this and wondering if its real.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

we live beside DCU. there's all sorts of posh shit going on there, like benches with phone charging points, plus fancy water bottle refill stations. students don't know how good they have it these days.

She just appropriated the books of other writers instead!
I don't even think she did that, I know others have accused her of ripping off certain books but I don't buy it, honestly if she had read that widely I think it would have shown in better writing. Boarding school novel + magic + standard fantasy hero set up was all she needed to get going and both the strength and weaknesses of the novels are that they are so comfortable and familiar.

unicron said:

Yes, agreed. There's some childrens lit that's so revelatory that it completely transcends the genre but Harry Potter was never that, it was more all encompassing but also limited. I mean, that's of course the same for every genre, including the very-much genre of "literary fiction"... i'm on my high horse now.

we live beside DCU. there's all sorts of posh shit going on there, like benches with phone charging points, plus fancy water bottle refill stations. students don't know how good they have it these days.

Interesting kinda confluence - Universities are a bit like star trek, living in a world of aspiration, which is essentially what they are for, so that when you grauduate you theoretically go back to ballynaboring and start thinking it needs a gynasium and smart lighting. People being surprised life is a bit shit after UNI isn't too far from people being surprised Hogwarts wasn't reality.

one thing that does strike me about the difference between DCU and UCD (where i went, a couple of decades ago) is that you could be forgiven for walking through DCU and not realising it was a university (if your experience was like mine of UCD in the 90s) - no posters for events, no club or society posters, etc.
the only (obvious) sign are the faculty names beside the entrances.

I don't even think she did that, I know others have accused her of ripping off certain books but I don't buy it, honestly if she had read that widely I think it would have shown in better writing. Boarding school novel + magic + standard fantasy hero set up was all she needed to get going and both the strength and weaknesses of the novels are that they are so comfortable and familiar.

She blatantly stole a load of the shit from Terry Pratchett, that's all

one thing that does strike me about the difference between DCU and UCD (where i went, a couple of decades ago) is that you could be forgiven for walking through DCU and not realising it was a university (if your experience was like mine of UCD in the 90s) - no posters for events, no club or society posters, etc.
the only (obvious) sign are the faculty names beside the entrances.
not sure of the context of this conversation as the tweet that was quoted has been deleted.

I went to DCU from 93-97 and what you say is true, to an extent. When I was finishing 2nd year in the spring of 95, the college was still small enough that you'd almost know everyone to see. The following 2 years saw the college population more than double, and a shit-load of building started - basically the start of the development to turn DCU into what it is now.

As regards clubs and societies, they were generally small, but there were plenty. For example, I remember the GLAF (Gay and Lesbian soc) had 4 members. The upshot of this was that a lot of socs became a group of mates who'd all hang out together. Ironically they were generally the more active clubs. The larger ones generally did fuck all.

There were a handful of places you could put posters. On the street (outside the old library), the canteen, and there were noticeboards in most of the buildings. But yeah, you'd tend not to see anything other than in those places, so I guess it depends on what route you took while walking through it.

And it was mostly made up of young country kids. There were few enough kids from Dublin going there in my first couple of years. 2 or 3 years after that, that all changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back