What television series are you currently making your way through? (23 Viewers)

Re: The Newsroom, the one thing that bugs me about it was how all the events being covered are after the fact, they've seen them play out so the show is written so that the story is covered in the exact right way. Except for the main ark of Season 2 which was for a fictional story.

Also, it's every Sorkin show ever. He constantly uses pretty much the same stock characters and relationship dynamics. He loves the will they won't they male superior/female subordinate thing, and all the relationship arcs go the same way, it's in Sportsnight, The West Wing, Studio 60 and The Newsroom.

Haters gonna hate. I love it and the West Wing because they are entertaining.

Of course. And you generally have better taste than me anyway.

Someone sent this to me on another site because of my 'bizarro Atlas Shrugged' remark.
I'm not sending it because of the hate, but because you'll appreciate the last line.

----------------------

There's a bit more of Rand in Sorkin's writing than he probably cares to admit. All his shows are about heroic genius men who make big speeches (filled with the opinions of one A. Sorkin) where they convince people of things, and more importantly, remind everyone of how inherently superior they are. West Wing got away with it by being more of an ensamble, and because it's easier to get away with that trope when you're using the President of the United States (played by a fantastic actor) in the Great Man role.

But it gets less believable when your Great Man is just some news anchor whose main traits are being old and cranky. But at least it's not as ridiculous as Studio 60, which postulated a world where the fate of an entire TV network, if not television itself, rested on the creative genius of the head writer of a low-rated sketch comedy show. It's like 30 Rock, if Liz Lemon were Jesus.

BBC mini series. Think its a mini series anyway, called Remember Me.

S'alright. Supernatural spook thing set in present day Yorkshire starring Michael Palin

I watched the first episode of Peaky Blinders over the weekend. It wasn't bad. Heavily influenced by US dramas, Boardwalk Emipre in particular. It looked great, they made Birmingham in the 1900s look like a post apocalyptic hellscape and was very well acted. The script was a bit heavy handed in comparison to its US counterparts.
peaky-blinders-cillian-murphy-600-lg.jpg

I'm watching this now.

Is anyone in the show using their own accent?

I know. An Irishman playing a Brummie, an Aussie playing a Nordie and a Brit playing an Irish woman. Kind of dumb

I'm only on episode two, but I think that Cillian Murphy kills the red-headed spy. After falling in love with her. Big foreshadowing with the horse murder here.

Users who are viewing this thread

• N
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back