What television series are you currently making your way through? (13 Viewers)

24 Season 1
It's hilarious
Every woman is either a moron, a traitor, a shrew, a corporate shrill, a hysteric or something else bad.
Funny to see where TV in general and 24 in particular went subsequently
CTU isn't the creepy NSA panopticon I remember from later season
Neither is there the Jack Bauer supermensch or Karl Rove style ticking time bomb nonsense.

Has season three started. I love it.

Started last night. Boston bombings.

I had to hit mute a few times.
It's like a bizarro Atlas Shrugged. I feel like I'm being lectured at about things I already know about right and wrong like I'm 5-years-old. And the dialogue, while witty and perfect, may as well be sung in cantata for all the realism it invokes.

But I accept that I'm in the minority. People loved the West Wing too.
Just a cranky old man really.

Started last night. Boston bombings.

I had to hit mute a few times.
It's like a bizarro Atlas Shrugged. I feel like I'm being lectured at about things I already know about right and wrong like I'm 5-years-old. And the dialogue, while witty and perfect, may as well be sung in cantata for all the realism it invokes.

But I accept that I'm in the minority. People loved the West Wing too.
Just a cranky old man really.
Perhaps it's because you are not unlike the Daniels character? Just saying. I don't really feel like it's a lecture because the real life story lines are secondary to the relationships between the characters for me. Same goes for the West Wing.

mjcS9TrtOd1i0B5puHq2UNQ.jpg

I get what you mean about the dialogue. I felt the same about the West Wing and it took me quite a while to get over wanting to punch every overly smug oh-so-clever character in the fact. People don't/can't talk like that. I did warm to it after a while though.

I enjoyed the Newsroom but found it's whole unshakeable faith in the press/media as cornerstones of the free world kind of nauseating at times. A bit like the West Wing and the Democratic Party.

I only managed the first episode of The Newsroom when it was on first. It was so cringeworthy, especially that speech @Jill Hives has just posted. Heavy-handed moralising and dull as dishwater characters, just couldn't enter into it.

That said, it wasn't as bad as that other turkey from around the same time, Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back