What television series are you currently making your way through? (9 Viewers)

just ordered the first series of The Professionals.

currently watching these

Brookside best of
Nighty Night S2
Cold Feet S1
Open All Hours S1
Cheers S5
Capital City S2
World In Action Vol. 4
Bergerac S6
Follyfoot S3
Hine
Coogan's Run
Miami Vice S4
Quantum Leap S5
Magnum PI S4
Taggart S13
Little House On The Prairie S1
Plays For Britain
Harry O S2

just ordered the first series of The Professionals.

currently watching these

Brookside best of
Nighty Night S2
Cold Feet S1
Open All Hours S1
Cheers S5
Capital City S2
World In Action Vol. 4
Bergerac S6
Follyfoot S3
Hine
Coogan's Run
Miami Vice S4
Quantum Leap S5
Magnum PI S4
Taggart S13
Little House On The Prairie S1
Plays For Britain
Harry O S2

yo nggledybits. recently rewatched the majority of the excellent brian clemen's thriller series. bought it after you were banging on about it a good few years ago. an recommendations for something similar in style? closest i've got is complete tales of the unexpected

yo nggledybits. recently rewatched the majority of the excellent brian clemen's thriller series. bought it after you were banging on about it a good few years ago. an recommendations for something similar in style? closest i've got is complete tales of the unexpected

Hi, glad you dug Thriller. I think it's the best anthology series I have seen.

Others I'd recommend.

Armchair Thriller
Made by Thames Television 1978 / 1979; 10 stories in total. Each story was split into four or six 25 minute episodes. Best ones are Rachel In Danger, A Dog's Ransom and The Limbo Connection. Two separate stories were also made by Southern Television in 1980 [Dead Man's Kit and High Tide; these are just ok]
The Thames episodes were released in individual volumes for each story but these are out of print [Network lost a lot of stock in that Sony warehouse fire of 2011] but there is a complete set which is cheapest from Network themselves. £32 but they knock off the VAT for non-UK customers.

After that you have
Beasts
Six television plays by Nigel Kneale made for ATV in 1976. 50 minutes each. Fairly claustrophobic stuff that relies on a lot of "unseen" scares. Best one is After Barty's Party. Network have it for £8.

Scorpion Tales. Another ATV one from 1978. Six more 50 minute plays of varying quality. £7 from Network but barely worth that. Some of 'em would work better at half the length.

Shadows of Fears is another one. A Thames production from the early 1970s. Too stagey and psychological for me but your mileage may vary. Good review here

From a US perspective the first two incarnations of The Twilight Zone are worth checking out. The 1980s series ran from 1985 to 1989 and is very evocative for me as I watched it with my Dad as it aired on RTE2. The complete set is cheap [£22 for 13 discs] on Amazon UK here. I have the R1 sets and assume that the R2 is a direct port.
The original run (late 1950s/early 1960s) is classic television with many super stories.

Non-anthology but definitely worth it

The Sandbaggers
Best spy series ever from Yorkshire Television. And the creator is missing since 1980.

Sapphire and Steel
Freaky ATV shit about time, changing time and altered states.

Public Eye
Ran from 1965 to 1975 and made by ABC and then Thames post-1969. An inquiry agent solving mundane cases. Sounds dull but actually gripping. Alfred Burke is the main man. He's also in one of the creepiest Tales Of The Unexpected (The Flypaper). Loads of familiar British actors in it.

and a couple more from the Southern Television archive.

The Capone Investment
Six part crime thriller from 1974 with John Thaw and Peter Sallis. Very inventive.

Dangerous Knowledge
Made in 1975, not broadcast till the year after. Complex but rewarding paranoid spy drama with John Gregson in his last role. Six parts.

Hi, glad you dug Thriller. I think it's the best anthology series I have seen.

Others I'd recommend.

Armchair Thriller
Made by Thames Television 1978 / 1979; 10 stories in total. Each story was split into four or six 25 minute episodes. Best ones are Rachel In Danger, A Dog's Ransom and The Limbo Connection. Two separate stories were also made by Southern Television in 1980 [Dead Man's Kit and High Tide; these are just ok]
The Thames episodes were released in individual volumes for each story but these are out of print [Network lost a lot of stock in that Sony warehouse fire of 2011] but there is a complete set which is cheapest from Network themselves. £32 but they knock off the VAT for non-UK customers.

After that you have
Beasts
Six television plays by Nigel Kneale made for ATV in 1976. 50 minutes each. Fairly claustrophobic stuff that relies on a lot of "unseen" scares. Best one is After Barty's Party. Network have it for £8.

Scorpion Tales. Another ATV one from 1978. Six more 50 minute plays of varying quality. £7 from Network but barely worth that. Some of 'em would work better at half the length.

Shadows of Fears is another one. A Thames production from the early 1970s. Too stagey and psychological for me but your mileage may vary. Good review here

From a US perspective the first two incarnations of The Twilight Zone are worth checking out. The 1980s series ran from 1985 to 1989 and is very evocative for me as I watched it with my Dad as it aired on RTE2. The complete set is cheap [£22 for 13 discs] on Amazon UK here. I have the R1 sets and assume that the R2 is a direct port.
The original run (late 1950s/early 1960s) is classic television with many super stories.

Non-anthology but definitely worth it

The Sandbaggers
Best spy series ever from Yorkshire Television. And the creator is missing since 1980.

Sapphire and Steel
Freaky ATV shit about time, changing time and altered states.

Public Eye
Ran from 1965 to 1975 and made by ABC and then Thames post-1969. An inquiry agent solving mundane cases. Sounds dull but actually gripping. Alfred Burke is the main man. He's also in one of the creepiest Tales Of The Unexpected (The Flypaper). Loads of familiar British actors in it.

and a couple more from the Southern Television archive.

The Capone Investment
Six part crime thriller from 1974 with John Thaw and Peter Sallis. Very inventive.

Dangerous Knowledge
Made in 1975, not broadcast till the year after. Complex but rewarding paranoid spy drama with John Gregson in his last role. Six parts.

excellent! thanks a million, will definitely be checking all of these out. Twilight Zone only one familiar to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back