What movie did you watch last night? (13 Viewers)

Turistas - after all the reviews I was expecting this to be terrible but it's a pretty decent thriller with a bit of gore thrown in. Don't watch it expecting a horror though. Only problem with this type of film is that there is never enough character development to make you really care about anyone in it.
3/5

over the last couple of nights...
Children of Men - very good. I had expected Clive Owen to make me want to punch the screen, but he was actually very good.

Mary Antoinette - I liked this.

200px-Straight_Time_VHS_cover.jpg

AMAZING

[possible spoiler]

What did you think of M Emmett Walsh and his trousers?

AMAZING

[possible spoiler]

What did you think of M Emmett Walsh and his trousers?

its funny, i've only seen it once in its entirety (spell?) years ago and then managed to tape the last hour of it offa tg4 years ago - i really should get round to buying it!!! M Emmett Walsh and Gary Busey and Harry Dean Stanton - what a cast!! Apparently Hoffman worked closely in prison with the dude who wrote it....

"Hoffman visited the author of the source novel, Edward Bunker in prison to express interest in making the novel into a film. Hoffman's enthusiasm as well as excellent reviews helped prompt the authorities into releasing Bunker early."

life imitating art imitating life? kinda like leadbelly getting reduced sentences for writing nice songs about his prison wardens!! or something.....

I just love the look of that film. and most american films from that era in general - dog day afternoon and taxi driver spring to mind, as does another one i've only seen many years ago but I'm sure you've talked about on here before - Blue Collar...

its funny, i've only seen it once in its entirety (spell?) years ago and then managed to tape the last hour of it offa tg4 years ago - i really should get round to buying it!!! M Emmett Walsh and Gary Busey and Harry Dean Stanton - what a cast!! Apparently Hoffman worked closely in prison with the dude who wrote it....

"Hoffman visited the author of the source novel, Edward Bunker in prison to express interest in making the novel into a film. Hoffman's enthusiasm as well as excellent reviews helped prompt the authorities into releasing Bunker early."

life imitating art imitating life? kinda like leadbelly getting reduced sentences for writing nice songs about his prison wardens!! or something.....

I just love the look of that film. and most american films from that era in general - dog day afternoon and taxi driver spring to mind, as does another one i've only seen many years ago but I'm sure you've talked about on here before - Blue Collar...

Yeah, it was the TG4 broadcast where I taped it from. Really, really good movie and authentic as fuck. Great US movies from the 1970s are in abundance - yes, Blue Collar, Charley Varrick, The Outfit, Electra Glide In Blue, Nightmoves, The Conversation, The Drowning Pool, Citizen's Band, The Last Embrace, Three Days Of The Condor, The Parallax View, The Taking Of Pelham 123, Two Lane Blacktop.

Straight Time is finally coming out on DVD - region 1,
22 May.http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N3SROU/?tag=thumpedcom-20

Straight Time is good and raw. Isn't Theresa Russell the pjeur in it?

One of the scenes in the house has them listening to John Fahey.

Stanton is knock-out good in this. Apparently Hoffman was initially directing this.
Haven't seen it in years now.

Still have yet to see Charley Varrick. A good few other films I want to see are not available on dvd - the grey owl, joe gould's secret, 'drive, he said'...

Oh yeah, 'the outfit' is frigging awesome, so much originality to the action scenes, Duvall grazing your man's hair with a bullet...stellar cast, good use of Joe Don Baker. I believe John Flynn is still making films.

Straight Time is good and raw. Isn't Theresa Russell the pjeur in it?

One of the scenes in the house has them listening to John Fahey.

Stanton is knock-out good in this. Apparently Hoffman was initially directing this.
Haven't seen it in years now.

Still have yet to see Charley Varrick. A good few other films I want to see are not available on dvd - the grey owl, joe gould's secret, 'drive, he said'...

Oh yeah, 'the outfit' is frigging awesome, so much originality to the action scenes, Duvall grazing your man's hair with a bullet...stellar cast, good use of Joe Don Baker. I believe John Flynn is still making films.

Theresa Russell is in Straight Time. Hoffman's girl.
John Flynn died earlier this month.
Joe Don Baker is a great actor, he's also in Charley Varrick. Apparently the US DVD is pan-and-scan so looks crap.

Other good 70s crime
The Friends Of Eddie Coyle
Hustle
Prime Cut
Mr Majestyk
The Mechanic
Fighting Mad
Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry

Jackass 2 - made me feel old, but it rocked
The Prestige - enjoyed it but prob not to everyone's tastes, acting was a little shoddy

MAN... JACKIE BROWN WAS SWANING AROUND LAST NIGHT. COULDN'T TAKE MY EYES OFF HER.

WHAT ANNOYS ME IS THERE WAS LOADS OF DEADLY SONGS IN THE FILM THAT AREN'T ON THE SOUNDTRACK.

RACKIE BROWN

I fancy the shit out of Pam Grier. Love that movie. There's not enough 40+ love stories.

That bit when he first sees her coming out of prison gives this Reverse Anal Cowgirl the yippeeeesssss.

frida-poster01.jpg

For some reason I thought this would be good but it was very disappointing apart from the paintings... which were really deadly.

I just thought the director didn't know what he/she wanted to do and it ended up being not one type film but three or four half assed versions and still quite Hollywood-y at the same time. Meh!

stranger than fiction - really enjoyed it despite also concluding that it wasn't great in a lot of ways. i preferred the emma thompson/queen latifah bits to the main storyline. maggie gyllenhaal is adorable in a way that redeemed a pretty weak character. dustin hoffman's office windows were gorgeous. there must have been some better way to construct the plot than around the lousy interfering watch, and the ending was too high on the sap factor.

The other night we watched Cookie's Fortune and The Assassination of Richard Nixon, though we should have watched the latter first and the former second because the Assassination was really fucking depressing. Sean Penn is an incredible actor, for real.

Very, very good, but really depressing, whereas the latter was fucking hilarious. I had a very bad, smashy smashy car crash in the town where it was filmed, too, which made it all the more twisted for me to watch. It was great, though. Fucking Julianne Moore and Liv Tyler are amazing in it. But Wanda and Eddie 'The Expert' kind of steal the show, even though they're pretty minor characters. And the lawyer. Fuck, no, it's just great.

Yeah, it was the TG4 broadcast where I taped it from. Really, really good movie and authentic as fuck.

Great US movies from the 1970s are in abundance - yes, Blue Collar, Charley Varrick, The Outfit, Electra Glide In Blue, Nightmoves, The Conversation, The Drowning Pool, Citizen's Band, The Last Embrace, Three Days Of The Condor, The Parallax View, The Taking Of Pelham 123, Two Lane Blacktop.
seen -

Blue Collar
The Conversation
Three Days Of The Condor
The Parallax View
The Taking Of Pelham 123
Two Lane Blacktop

not seen (cheers - must check em out!) -

Charley Varrick
The Outfit
Electra Glide In Blue
Nightmoves
The Drowning Pool
Citizen's Band
The Last Embrace

and not forgetting...

v70829gtmia.jpg

&
LG.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back