What movie did you watch last night? (19 Viewers)

went along with someone to see mission impossible over the weekend. absolute drivel. all hollywood producer megamoney checkbox ticking and no substance. i shouldn't be surprised, but it was really very bad indeed

Shin Godzilla (2016)

I wanted to like this and I did. Great Godzilla designs. Excellent old Godzilla music. You could tell the budget wasn't Hollywood standard, but still looked really good.

Much more of a blunt political/how governments work type deal than a creature feature. Reminded me of watching old Godzilla's back on channel 4 when I felt I wasn't just getting enough Godzilla screen time. You don't here, but still good.

Must check out the Bryan Cranston one.

Sharknado, one of the most poorly made films I've ever seen. I've never even held a video camera before and I bet I could make a better film
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I too saw Barbie yesterday, and yes definitely fun and funny. But also surprisingly moving, there is a lot going on in it and my daughter had a lot of heavy questions coming out.
Loads of people were talking about how emotional it was, but I think I might have been too engrossed in Margot Robbie to notice it properly. Except for feeling really sorry for poor Ken ...

... and how he was basically prepared to destroy society just to get Barbie's attention, but even that was futile. Did I miss something?

Loads of people were talking about how emotional it was, but I think I might have been too engrossed in Margot Robbie to notice it properly. Except for feeling really sorry for poor Ken ...

... and how he was basically prepared to destroy society just to get Barbie's attention, but even that was futile. Did I miss something?
I felt sorry for Ken too, the whole thing pointed out that the patriarchy is bad for everyone - the Kens never really benefitted, it was an illusion of benefit. But beyond that, there was amazing moments of the sadness that is growing up, of your kids becoming their own people, the crushing inevitability of death, and the beautiful acceptance of difference. The film had more layers than an onion, and it really spoke to me. Sitting there with my daughter, with all her own quirks and individuality, and seeing her slowly slip away to be the person she will become.

I saw Oppenheimer. Very silly film really. This Christopher Nolan lad can't make a decent film it looks like. Every line in the thing was underscored by a dramatic score, in bold, in italics, underlined.

We get it lads, simmer the fuck down. He should have used the silence. The subject is dramatic all by itself, it doesn't need to so overwrought. It's like a 3 hour chase scene, instead of what it should have been like which is No Country For Old Men. It should have been a creeping, silent ish, wind sweeping through the place, scrapeing chairs in hallways, sinister sound maybe once in the whole thing. Use the silence and the actors to underscore how terrifying this stuff is, not relentlessly ramming DRAMATIC STRING SOUNDS and SHOUTING down everyone's throats constantly.

Just copy No Country For Old Men sound, and use the bombtrack. Disneyfied, and Hollywooded. Nul points.

I saw Oppenheimer. Very silly film really. This Christopher Nolan lad can't make a decent film it looks like. Every line in the thing was underscored by a dramatic score, in bold, in italics, underlined.

We get it lads, simmer the fuck down. He should have used the silence. The subject is dramatic all by itself, it doesn't need to so overwrought. It's like a 3 hour chase scene, instead of what it should have been like which is No Country For Old Men. It should have been a creeping, silent ish, wind sweeping through the place, scrapeing chairs in hallways, sinister sound maybe once in the whole thing. Use the silence and the actors to underscore how terrifying this stuff is, not relentlessly ramming DRAMATIC STRING SOUNDS and SHOUTING down everyone's throats constantly.

Just copy No Country For Old Men sound, and use the bombtrack. Disneyfied, and Hollywooded. Nul points.
I can't be doing with this guy at all after that 3rd batman film.

I can't be doing with this guy at all after that 3rd batman film.
which one was the third one now?

But that's the kind of shite that this Nolan character should be making. Big shouty dialogues, villians getting dangled off buildings, car chases, and fight scenes.

I could see him doing that, and probably sneaking in the aul far right / Ayn Rand / American Exceptionalism philosophies into everything.

Shin Godzilla (2016)

I wanted to like this and I did. Great Godzilla designs. Excellent old Godzilla music. You could tell the budget wasn't Hollywood standard, but still looked really good.

Much more of a blunt political/how governments work type deal than a creature feature. Reminded me of watching old Godzilla's back on channel 4 when I felt I wasn't just getting enough Godzilla screen time. You don't here, but still good.

There’s a sequel to Shin Godzilla out at the end of this year, it’s called Godzilla Minus One and it’s set in the post-atomic-bomb ’40s. Hopefully the Light House or the IFI gets it.

The new American ones (Cranston et al) are OK but diminishing returns. That being said, there’s a new one of that series out next spring and I’ll watch it.

I'm glad somebody else said that. As I said, when I did Barbenheimer, I saw Barbie first. That probably clouded my judgement. It is, as I said, a Christopher Nolan movie. He's very good. I'd like to see a Nolan film where the protagonist is late for work but the dog puked on the carpet and it's bin day.

Not exactly on the same level as Oppenheimer.... Bless this house (1972) on youtube.
A film version of the so so 70's sitcom. Wasn't expecting a masterpiece, but its really poor.
I only watched it because Sally Geeson & Carol Hawkins are in it.

Shin Godzilla (2016)

Shin Godzilla is class

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers 79

Not a patch on the original but still.. its got Sutherland, Goldblum and Nimoy
giphy.gif

Aye, in other words, Hans Zimmer.

There’s a sequel to Shin Godzilla out at the end of this year, it’s called Godzilla Minus One and it’s set in the post-atomic-bomb ’40s. Hopefully the Light House or the IFI gets it.

The new American ones (Cranston et al) are OK but diminishing returns. That being said, there’s a new one of that series out next spring and I’ll watch it.
YUSSS the end of Shin Godzilla is literally going "MAKE A FUCKIN SEQUEL!!"
Bit like Dredd...

Testament (1983) - Watched it before and didn't really get it but this time I found it devastating. Nuclear war drama set in a prosperous town somewhere in the San Francisco Bay Area. Very understated and lovely performances, especially from the young cast. As horrific in its own quiet way as Threads or The Day After.

This Sporting Life (1963)
One of the finest British films ever made, this benchmark of "kitchen-sink realism" follows the self-defeating professional and romantic pursuits of a miner turned rugby player eking out an existence in drab Yorkshire. With an astonishing, raging performance by a young Richard Harris, an equally blistering turn by fellow Oscar nominee Rachel Roberts as the widow with whom he lodges, and electrifying direction by Lindsay Anderson, in his feature-film debut following years of documentary work, This Sporting Life remains a dramatic powerhouse.
I didn't think it was that good, it was only ok. It started off alright but it was long and by the end I'd lost interest. Richard Harris plays an absolute dick. At the start David Storey's name came up - he wrote the novel and the screenplay - and I remembered this book of his I read years ago. The film isn't quite as weird but there is definitely a common thread.

Radcliffe by David Storey
Weird fucking book, and not in a good way. Weird people being weird and/or horrible at each other for no apparent reason e.g. saying bizarre shit, shitting in sandwiches, unpleasant sexual encounters, people carrying hammers around with them. All written in a really awkward style.

The love witch (2016)
A rewatch of this. A beautiful witch is obsessed with finding her perfect man And will do whatever it takes to get what she wants, but when they don't meet her high standards, bad things happen.
Everything about this film is styled out to seem like a cult movie from the late 60s / early 70s. Beautifully shot, colours just pulsate from the screen, it's dreamy, kind of psychedelic. The sets, hair, makeup lighting, all look great....so much attention to detail. The acting is also very knowing & campy. But it could be a bit shorter, parts of it drag. Good film though.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back