What movie did you watch last night? (20 Viewers)

Last night I watched Ice cream man. A weird 90's film about a very disturbed ice cream man who kills adults, but, the kids in the town think he's actually a child killer. Very much of it's time.

Oppenheimer. It's very good, but I do wonder if the casual watcher that hasn't really read about the Manhattan Project would be a bit lost with all the characters floating in and out of the film.
Is this 'Best Director' worthy? Depends how you look at it maybe. All the acting in this film is fantastic, every actor is on top form here - oul Cillian might be up for the Oscar, Emily Blunt should be. You would think that great performances need great direction, so there's that. On the other hand, there's a fair amount of wanky 'flashback/imagination/epipheny' imagery crowded onto the screen at time - some of this works fine, but some is just pure wankery, bit unnecessary. I think Nolan has a bit of a Terrence Malick fascination maybe. The other thing is, this thing is 3 hours long. Come on like. 2.5 hours would have done the job I think, just cut out
a little bit from the hearings. You don't need to ram it down our throats that the 'system' eventually went out to get him
. Best director? Maybe, for getting the performances from the actors, but I do wonder at the decisions of how to present the film, take up an entire 3 hours, that goes down to the fact he's the screenwriter and all too. He does do a nice thing of switching between colour and black+white to indicate different time periods and things, because the story spends time switching between at least 3 distinct periods - again, if you didn't know about any of this stuff, I could see it easily being pretty baffling.

Now,
I did like how it portrayed the people involved in the whole thing. It seems very well researched. I've only read a book peripherally about Manhattan myself, but the way in which a lot of the scientists personality's are portrayed seems pretty spot on with how they are meant to have been. Teller in particular seems to have been nailed, but then he's always meant to have been difficult about everything. Groves, seems like they really got him down well too. It all feels really authentic with the way the story is told, and this is laudable - at the end of the day, this film is having a go at the US military-industrial complex that has formed as a result of these events, and it's ultimately anti-nuclear weapon, which is good, unless you want to make the rubble bounce. I think the film deals with complicated events very well - if you actually know enough about all this to know what the fuck it is on about.
I mean, I didn't really know much about the whole antagonist and the Oppenheimer 'hearings' other than they were typical US cold-war McCarthyite anti-communist hysteria, but that's all a lot easier to follow than the rake of scientists that throw their heads into the films at different points leaving you wondering 'who the fuck was that again?' - if you don't know about these people, good luck! I only copped Feynman nearer to the end of the film.

Anyway conclusion, this film is fuckin great really for the most part, just it's a little bit over-long and it needs a lot of attention to follow the switches between different time periods and recollections/memories/perspectives - this isn't a bad thing, but I do wonder if presenting the film a bit more 'linearly' would help with the overall coherence of it.

Halfway through Barbieheimer.

Barbie is AMAZING. And no, YOU'VE got something in your eye. More to follow.

Halfway through Barbieheimer.

Barbie is AMAZING. And no, YOU'VE got something in your eye. More to follow.

Oppenheimer was as very Chris Nolan, make of that what you will.
If you had to choose one movie or the other to watch, I would definitely say Barbie.

Barbieheimer as a whole was quite the experience. We weren't the only ones doing it. It was like a proper old fashioned Event at the pictures, the atmosphere was really good.

One staff commented "there's so many people with alcohol", her colleague replied "yeah I'm not even checking bags any more".

Don't knock it till you tried it. These sorts of days are what keeps cinemas open. And all these pinked up kiddos get to see what a proper movie is like.

For sure it was a bit rowdy, but once the movie started everyone was respectful.

Also, y'know, it was Peckhamplex. I can go elsewhere for chin-stroking.

I only really go to see movies with the kids these days but I love when the Light House makes a little event out of movies. Saw The Shining and The Matrix, and for each one they themed the bar and had an opportunity for people to build up a bit of a buzz before going in and enjoying the movies. I mean, it wouldn’t work for something like Sophie’s Choice but it suited those other movies.

i saw indy jones the weekend before last. snore fest. i thought it opened really well but after 2 more hours i was wondering when it was ever going to finish. then the ending was just stupid

watched Igby Goes Down last night. One of those movies I saw bits of over the years but never watched properly. Really enjoyed it. Never realised/noticed Jared Harris was in it. New York looking fantastic in Winter.

Lola

Irish science fiction movie about two English sisters and the machine they invent in 1941 that can receive broadcasts from the future. VG.

Weird mix last night. Went with my wife to the Barbie movie. It was remarkably entertaining, considering I'm not really the target audience.
then $10,000 Blood money. late 60's spaghetti western, with bounty hunter Django pursuing a gold robbing bandit who killed his girl.

Lola

Irish science fiction movie about two English sisters and the machine they invent in 1941 that can receive broadcasts from the future. VG.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Dracula ad 1972.
Can't remember when I last watched this one. A group of hip young hedonists in 1970s London resurrect the prince of darkness. Fairly routine stuff, but I liked it.

Death line (1972)
Donald Pleasence plays an irrelevant, tea obsessed, detective inspector investigating commuters going missing at an isolated part of the London underground. Looks great, well directed. Great use of locations. Very good performances, especially the feral creature. Christopher Lee is in it for about a minute. There are some quiet gory scenes for a film of this era. It's slow moving & Pleasence's character is a bit annoying, but it's a good film overall.

I too saw Barbie yesterday, and yes definitely fun and funny. But also surprisingly moving, there is a lot going on in it and my daughter had a lot of heavy questions coming out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back