What movie did you watch last night? (14 Viewers)

Shoeshine. Pretty good.

Assault on precinct 13. (1976)
Classic John Carpenter siege movie. One of his best. I love the whole ....seventies- ness of it.

I finally joined the 21st century 6 months ago and got a smart TV. Haven't subscribed to a streaming service....yet. But it's cool to be able find these old films I like on YouTube in very good quality.

Last edited:
Assault on precinct 13. (1976)
Classic John Carpenter siege movie. One of his best. I love the whole ....seventies- ness of it.

I finally joined the 21st century 6 months ago and got a smart TV. Haven't subscribed to a streaming service....yet. But it's cool to be able find these old films I like on YouTube in very good quality.

For youtube it's worth a check in here once in a while:

Inferno (1980)
Rewatch of this Italian horror on YouTube. Directed by Dario Argento. The plot is a bit.... fragmented. Strange goings on in an old apartment building where anyone connected to a book called the three mothers comes to a nasty end. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but its atmospheric & looks amazing. Heavy use of red & blue lighting throughout & it has a soundtrack by prog keyboard wizard Keith Emerson.

Inferno (1980)
Rewatch of this Italian horror on YouTube. Directed by Dario Argento. The plot is a bit.... fragmented. Strange goings on in an old apartment building where anyone connected to a book called the three mothers comes to a nasty end. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but its atmospheric & looks amazing. Heavy use of red & blue lighting throughout & it has a soundtrack by prog keyboard wizard Keith Emerson.
almost a remake of Suspiria but a guy at a Gotham apartment block in NY instead of a ballet school in Suisse.
still great though. looks awesome - esp. the lighting as you said.
EDIT: plot? Argento doesn't really do plots.

The Batman

Passable Batman movie. Robert Pattinson is decent as Batman but less so as Bruce “Trent Reznor” Wayne. Penguin was under-utilised and the plot could have lost about 45 minutes of meandering. Cat Woman was crap which is actually a feat in and of itself. The cameo by Barry Keoghan was absolutely awful, will skip the sequel if it includes him.

As usual, my main complaint is that all these American comic book adaptations get millions of sequels and reboots and here we are in 2023 without a Dredd sequel. Fuck Hollywood. Fuck Marvel. Fuck DC.

Spider-Man Multiverse thing - real good, not as good as first one. The music and sound was class - unless there was a dodgy speaker in the cinema, then the sound mixing was amazin on this. On the other hand, if there wasn't a dodgy speaker in the cinema, then whoever mixed it doesn't have a fuckin clue. I'm assuming there was a dodgy speaker. (explanation - some of the high mids were getting crunched at times. I assume it was a slightly bolloxed squawker in the cinema system, rather than mental overcompression of 1k frequencies)
The whole thing was a bit much at times, felt a bit like watching one of those shaky-cam action films, but it's still pretty class.

Indiana Jones and the Dial Of Destiny - the most unexpected film of the year, a fourth Indie film that gives him a good send-off. It's great! I mean, it's not Raiders great, obviously, but it's actually up at Temple of Doom levels. The opening sequence is fuckin class, only annoying thing about it is the bumbling Toby Jones sidekick, yawn. Also the end of the film is awesome, there's a fantastic Raiders nod right at the end that is brilliant.
There's also a big historical sequence that is actually fuckin brilliantly done too, looks really great.
Phoebe Bigname is pretty good as the female sidekick character, the kid is grand. Mads is typically excellent as generic nazi badguy, and there's this giant nazi bad guy that is good just cause of how fuckin huge he looks.
Basically, Indiana Jones + nazis = good craic.
Also they're pleasantly sensible about how they use Indie here - he's not getting in every fight, he's too old for that shit, but generally it works apart from two silly chase sequences that go on far too long and the film could have done without.
Great success!

Battle for the planet of the apes. (1973)
I got this dvd boxset of the original 5 films for €7 in power city years ago. Just seeing how it looks on the blu ray player with the upscaling (pretty good). Ape and human trying to live in peace, but it's never going to happen with those angry gorillas & mutants around. Long time since I last watched it. Decent.

I was wondering if there was a shop called this

How could there not be.

Spider-Man Multiverse thing - real good, not as good as first one. The music and sound was class - unless there was a dodgy speaker in the cinema, then the sound mixing was amazin on this. On the other hand, if there wasn't a dodgy speaker in the cinema, then whoever mixed it doesn't have a fuckin clue. I'm assuming there was a dodgy speaker. (explanation - some of the high mids were getting crunched at times. I assume it was a slightly bolloxed squawker in the cinema system, rather than mental overcompression of 1k frequencies)
The whole thing was a bit much at times, felt a bit like watching one of those shaky-cam action films, but it's still pretty class.

Indiana Jones and the Dial Of Destiny - the most unexpected film of the year, a fourth Indie film that gives him a good send-off. It's great! I mean, it's not Raiders great, obviously, but it's actually up at Temple of Doom levels. The opening sequence is fuckin class, only annoying thing about it is the bumbling Toby Jones sidekick, yawn. Also the end of the film is awesome, there's a fantastic Raiders nod right at the end that is brilliant.
There's also a big historical sequence that is actually fuckin brilliantly done too, looks really great.
Phoebe Bigname is pretty good as the female sidekick character, the kid is grand. Mads is typically excellent as generic nazi badguy, and there's this giant nazi bad guy that is good just cause of how fuckin huge he looks.
Basically, Indiana Jones + nazis = good craic.
Also they're pleasantly sensible about how they use Indie here - he's not getting in every fight, he's too old for that shit, but generally it works apart from two silly chase sequences that go on far too long and the film could have done without.
Great success!
Does he still steal artifacts for museums?
Also are the ethnic minority characters more PC and less stereotyped?

12 hour shift. Darkly comic thriller. a recovering addict nurse has a side gig selling organs from the recently deceased. One night a kidney goes awry, and the killings start. Pretty entertaining.
Extra ordinary. Ghostly goings on in the Midlands. Amusing even if the oirish-ness is pushed a little for the American audience.

The Wham documentary on Netflix.

Worth a watch. The guys had a lovely friendship.

I suppose he's had 3 decades to get over it if it did bother him but even at the time Ridgely in interviews seemed ok about the split.

George was ready to move on to bigger things, whereas Ridgely seemed ready for it to stop.

The Wham documentary on Netflix.

Worth a watch. The guys had a lovely friendship.

I suppose he's had 3 decades to get over it if it did bother him but even at the time Ridgely in interviews seemed ok about the split.

George was ready to move on to bigger things, whereas Ridgely seemed ready for it to stop.

Netflix's new documentary on Wham! is a gorgeous snapshot of the friendship between George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley. There's hundreds of stories about the bond they shared, but here's another nice one we heard.

During Robbie Williams' first coke bloat era (post-Take That; Glastonbury with the Gallaghers) he found himself at Jimmyz nightclub in Monte Carlo where he saw George Michael on the dance floor. Aware that every boy band member who went solo always said something along the lines of "I want to be the next George Michael!" Robbie thought it might be funny to turn that whole trope on its head.

So he went up to George and said: "I wanna be the next Andrew Ridgeley..."

A line which not only failed to raise a smile out of George, but caused George to look Robbie dead in the eye and snap: "DON'T take the piss out of Andrew."

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back