What movie did you watch last night? (12 Viewers)

Netflix's new documentary on Wham! is a gorgeous snapshot of the friendship between George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley. There's hundreds of stories about the bond they shared, but here's another nice one we heard.

During Robbie Williams' first coke bloat era (post-Take That; Glastonbury with the Gallaghers) he found himself at Jimmyz nightclub in Monte Carlo where he saw George Michael on the dance floor. Aware that every boy band member who went solo always said something along the lines of "I want to be the next George Michael!" Robbie thought it might be funny to turn that whole trope on its head.

So he went up to George and said: "I wanna be the next Andrew Ridgeley..."

A line which not only failed to raise a smile out of George, but caused George to look Robbie dead in the eye and snap: "DON'T take the piss out of Andrew."
Ridgeley didn't get his only solo album out until 1990.
he's come up so often in "where are now?" articles that he's still famous.
in the early 90s he headed off to Cornwall to retire into the surfing life.
Andy's main personal problems since were getting ill from water contaminated by sewage where he and his brother Paul were surfing. Andrew later became a prominent campaigner on the issue.
Also his long realtionship to Keren from Bananarama ended in the late 2010's.
Other than that he's probably had a great time for the last few decades.

edit: fixed mistakes!

Used to love WHAM!
George is standing in front of CRASS logo graffiti at 0:35 in the trailer.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

the saddest thing about George was how much he needed validation - on a huge scale.
the doc. he was working on that came out after he died was really sad.
introduced by Kate Moss (detest her) it was all other famous folks talking about George.
No family or friends. Don't think the rest of Wham! (even Andrew) were interviewed for it.
poor guy.

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning. I somehow hadn't seen a MI film until watching Fallout on tv a few days ago which was really good. I was totally suckered in by the YouTube features on the stunts. Saw it in IMAX which was bloody loud but it flew by. I can't remember the last time I saw some action sequences that hooked me like some of these.

Probably should take it to the unpopular opinions thread but

I liked asteroid city
On reflection - it's a bit of intentional or unintentional flann o brien homage type thing. When i read at swim two birds my immediate reaction was i should read it again to figure out at what point it ended - the same with this - was it in act 2 when she said goodbye outside the door? was the divorce scene the dream allegory for the death of the witches mother - was the tent in the motor villiage a vague japanese in america post world war 2 thing?

Anyways thinking about it today it's more dream like than anything which is made obvious enough -

I'm not sure this will make it a better or worse movie for anyone - anywhoo i'm starting to think its a great movie with a caveat. Wes is self analysing his own writing and style here and breaking the 4th wall.

Is he doing this because tarrantino did it with the once upon a time in america - hollywood's slow descent into not the centre of film for the world seems to make these moviews happen.

You'd want to be a fan like.

Mission Impossible - good, but not as good as Fallout, which I can't see them bettering. They don't really have a convincing bad guy for this one, whereas Henry Cavill was totally class in Fallout. Also Fallout still has the better of the action scenes - that being the scene where Cruise and Cavill get trounced in the toilets by the asian lad (even if it is a bit ridiculous that someone the size of Cavill would feel a punch from that lad).
Still, the nature of the plot means there's ample scope for double-think twistiness, which is nice; but they just can't match the dynamic that Cruise-Cavill had going in Fallout.

Fear No Evil (1981)
A high school kid is actually lucifer and some of the other locals are the archangels Michael, Gabriel and Raphael. I expected this to be good schlocky fun but it was actually a pretty decent horror, in a cheap 80s way.

Threads (1984)
Nuclear war in Sheffield, excellent stuff, particularly the build up.

The Stone Wedding (1973)
Two bleak stories about absent love. In the first, a widow is working hard in a desperate attempt to save her dying daughter. The second tells the story of two wandering singers who kidnap a bride from her wedding.
Romanian, pretty bleak alright, the second story was really good although I don't think the description above is totally accurate.

The Sergeant (1968)
Rod Steiger is really good in this, he plays a creepy dislikable predatory alcoholic closeted gay army captain who nobody likes and makes everyone uncomfortable in the classic way that such people do.

Inseminoid (1981)
Sci-Fi horror directed by Norman J Warren, it's like alien mixed with Rosemary's baby. A space crew are exploring underground mines, one the crew is inseminated by an alien lifeform and goes nuts. It's the kind of thing I used to watch on late night TV in 1989. Not brilliant, but nowhere near as bad as it's made out to be. Has a good claustrophobic, paranoid atmosphere going on. Always had a thing for Stephanie Beecham as well.

Hounds of love.
Very dark thriller from Australia, about a couple who abduct, abuse and eventually kill teen girls in the early/mid 80's. The last girl they abduct is smart and drives a wedge between them and their own dysfunctional relationship. Most of the violence and abuse is hinted at off camera, very gripping film.

Full Time.
Contender for most stressful film of the year, this is one hard watch. It's about a woman juggling her full time job in a 5-star hotel in Paris with bringing up 2 kids out in the country whilst she is also applying for better jobs, all in the middle of a public transport strike.
It's fuckin greaaaaat, and the lead woman is amazin. This is wayyyyyy more stressful than something like Uncut Gems though, because it actually feels like real people. Also, the soundtrack here is basically recorded tension. It's actually really hard to watch!

There's a great bit where she's cleaning in the hotel and one of the other cleaners calls her to deal with a 'Bobby Sands' hahahaha
where/how did you watch this?

not on youtube to rent, nor the other usual streamers (besides Apple which i don;t have), nor my usual download haunts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back