What movie did you watch last night? (18 Viewers)

i fucking hated it the first time i saw it and loved it the second time

i thought the central character was idiotically happy-go-lucky on the first watch but realised she was actually struggling really hard to stay that way on second viewing and it was kind of bleak

i fucking hated it the first time i saw it and loved it the second time

i thought the central character was idiotically happy-go-lucky on the first watch but realised she was actually struggling really hard to stay that way on second viewing and it was kind of bleak
Wow, not my reading of it at all. If she has struggles they are minimal. I found it ridiculous that so many commentators found her character, who's simply naturally disposed towards happiness, unbelievable - whereas the manic depressives and misanthropes who usually populate his movies are the very definition of realism. Of course both ends of the spectrum are to be found everywhere which is why it's so import to his body of work as a whole I feel. Also the driving instructor is one of his more magnificent creations. Both attracted and repelled by her eternal cheerfulness, like much of the audience.

I watched Stoker the other night. It's pretty good
large_bq9COvSSlNGUuVPCqc0FNzIa6GF.jpg
Loved this. Soundtrack is really good too.

Wow, not my reading of it at all. If she has struggles they are minimal. I found it ridiculous that so many commentators found her character, who's simply naturally disposed towards happiness, unbelievable - whereas the manic depressives and misanthropes who usually populate his movies are the very definition of realism. Of course both ends of the spectrum are to be found everywhere which is why it's so import to his body of work as a whole I feel. Also the driving instructor is one of his more magnificent creations. Both attracted and repelled by her eternal cheerfulness, like much of the audience.
it was when i thought she was just blandly, obliviously chirpy that i hated it

and she's not oblivious, as you see in the scenes with her sister, or the driving instructor, or the homeless man for example

the rare moments where she's subdued because the unhappiness of other people is too overwhelming

it was when i thought she was just blandly, obliviously chirpy that i hated it

and she's not oblivious, as you see in the scenes with her sister, or the driving instructor, or the homeless man for example

the rare moments where she's subdued because the unhappiness of other people is too overwhelming
Absolutely, the first impression of her is maybe a bit two-dimensional but not at all after that. I thought primary teacher was the perfect job for her as well. Some of those nuts are ludicrously chirpy! Never came across any Miss Krabappel-types until secondary myself.

I look back on it fondly but I have a vivid memory of my very last day where I made a promise to myself to never forget how much I hated it. I was 12.

I saw the Third Man in the IFI. Great film. Cinema 2 could do with more leg room, and I'm not exactly tall.

Watched The Quiller Memorandum, decent but a bit tedious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back