What movie did you watch last night? (21 Viewers)

It’s appealing to me for many reasons – I like films set in New York, I like black comedies, I like the 1980s. I like the tone, which deftly balances comedy and horror. It’s funny, creepy, skilfully directed and the camerawork is ace. The writer has a great ear for dialogue and the performances are engaging.
Don't think I could put it any better myself. You rarely see black comedies shot with such a deft hand for one. Also I love the atmosphere of it. The same part of my slightly younger self that loved The Warriors loved seeing this underbelly of a city late at night and this whole other world that exists. Although these weirdos, freaks, insomniacs, grifters and compulsive liars seemed a more relatable rabble than a bunch of mobilised gangs. The cast is a really big part of it. Griffin Dunne does the everyman extremely well. The Rosanna Arquette character is one of my favourite ever committed to tape in no small part down to her performance. Linda Fiorentina is pitch perfect in her small role. I love how as the plot becomes more nightmarish the tone concurrently gets lighter. Which is sort of like waking up from a dream. What seemed so sinister in the dead of night can actually become just a funny story very quickly the next day. The same aspects of city living that contribute to urban anxiety are also often the best parts of life in the metropolis.

Godammit, I'm so thick. That all makes sense and I didn't get any of it when I watched it.

*goes back to his book, crying*

Last edited:
Deadly film. You should try vampire's kiss with Nic cage if you liked this. It's written by the same guy and has the same sort of weird, creepy not quite comedy, not quite horror vibe. Also Cage's best performance.
Vampire's Kiss (1988) - IMDb

Wow. Cage was unbelievable in this. preferred After Hours but enjoyed Vampire's Kiss a lot.

I've been on a bit of a movies set in New York binge recently. moreso 70s/80s ones. any recommendations that I might not know of would be welcomed. Rewatched Woody Allen's Manhattan Murder Mystery again last night too. Love that film

Half the Sky

HalfTheSkyDVD-F.jpg

Same idea, but over 6 hours, and totally documentary with no recreation. Each episode again focuses on a different area for the world and one particular area in which women are oppressed- so they do rape, education, child trafficking etc. It had me in floods of tears pretty much the whole way through. The cool thing is each section focuses on a woman who is working in that area, and the awesome work she does, so you get kind of a positive vibe at the end even though its realistic and hard hitting

ANYWAY I ENJOYED BOTH.

Oh, I'll watch that.
To make the world a better place, you basically just have to improve the lot of women.

You don't like Vampire's Kiss.

Mean Streets or Taxi Driver for me. Taxi Driver pips it because I think De Niro’s Bickle is probably the single greatest performance in film.
Mine might be Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. If you haven't seen it do. Right now. It's virtually perfect. Ellen Brustyn pretty much wipes the floor with all actors ever in the history of acting.

Actually .... wait..... It's not it's Goodfellas, because I have a dick.

Damn you penis!!!!

Two films in one evening.

1. A Most Wanted Man - very good terrorist/spy thriller set in Hamburg. Good performances from everyone despite odd German accented English attempts. Just use German actors and subtitle it for fuck sake! Film is well-paced and manages to build a bit of tension at the significant climactic juncture, good stuff really.

2. In Order Of Disappearance - Fucking brilliant film.
Norwegian revenge drama which seems to me to have slipped almost entirely under the radar, and this is totally great.
Stellan Skelegjasgkasghraerljgard plays a father whose son is found dead and the police are gonna do fuck all about it. He finds out it was gangsters responsible, and sets out to get some payback.
The film has a kind of odd black comedic element which is delivered in just the right measure to work without making it too light or interfering with the on-screen action; the comedic element actually adds to the pacing of the film instead, well thought out.
This film is totally great for a number of reasons. The acting is very good, nice performances from everyone, plus it has Hitler in it although he doesn't go on any rants.
The cinematography is absolutely brilliant. There are some totally amazing shots in this film that last just the right amount of time to see how incredible they are without dwelling too long and slowing the pace of the film. The whole thing is shot somewhere in Norway where it snows a lot (I presume) and the camera-people have taken full advantage of the juxtaposition of bleak desolation and human industry. This film really does look fucking great.
The plot is quite amusing at the end of things and works well with the odd bits of black humour.
The dialogue and tone of the film are excellent, capturing that Scandinavian kind of emotional tension/silence that I love watching right now. There is even the odd bit of philosophical musing thrown in here and there to add that little bit of extra depth to characters that helps realise the overall vision.
The whole thing is really stylish, it's the sort of film that Tarantino would love to be able to do if he was Scandinavian and still capable of making good films.
This is one seriously enjoyable film that should be getting great reviews all over the place but seems to have been mostly ignored because it is Norwegian or something, actually one of the best films I have seen all year, definitely recommended! Just checked too, 88% on Rotten Tomatoes right now, so it's not just me!

in-order-of-disappearance-plakat-In_Or.jpg

20,000 Days On Earth - documentary-type thing about Nick Cave. Whether you will enjoy this will largely depend on your interest in hearing Nick Cave talk about himself a lot. It's a pretty decent attempt at making a different sort of music doc. A lot of good behind the scenes footage, beautifully shot and some fun stuff like filming Nick driving around with various collaborators/ friends in the back of his car (Blixa, Kylie).

Coherence. Loved it, but it's hard to say why or indeed anything at all about the movie without spoilerifying something about it. It's a film about people at a dinner party, and... interesting stuff happens?

8 actors in the whole movie, including that guy from Buffy ("I'm an actor. I used to be in a TV show.... Roswell.") and that guy from Homeland who doesn't say much. Recommended.

Try to see it without watching the trailer. Although that's why I wanted to see the movie, I think in hindsight I'd have preferred not to have seen it. And avoid reading about it online, especially IMDB, or the youtube comments under the trailer, or its wikipedia page, because the whole fucking plot is on all of them.

234257.1020.jpeg

Deconstructing Harry.

a decent woody allen movie that slipped through the cracks for me. Thought it was really good. file in same category as Stardust Memories. Writer character. fucked up life/relationships.movie intertwined with bits of the writer's fictional stories and real life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back