What movie did you watch last night? (19 Viewers)

Bad Timing. This bored me though Garfunkel is good as a creep.
220px-Badtimingposter.jpg

The Last Wave. Mystical mumbo jumbo. I was expecting a surfing movie.
last_wave_xlg.jpg

Man Of Steel.

FUCKING AMAZING.

Cloudy with a chance of meatballs two...was decent.Worth seeing in the cinema.€4 for a packet of sweets though

Captain Philips. Best film I've seen Tom Hanks in in a long time. Really tense final act. Really reminded me of Dog Day Afternoon. Well worth a trip to the cinema

Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid. Peckinpah's elegiac western features a great performance from James Coburn as Garrett. Not Bob Dylan's finest hour though.
pat_garrett_and_billy_the_kid.jpg

My favourite Western of all time.

Absolutely amazing instrumental soundtrack. Coburn and Kristofferson are brilliant. Even if Kristofferson is a really unconvincing 21 year old.

It's really good but I would have to say Unforgiven is the greatest western for me.

oh Unforgiven is undoubtably the greatest western. It's probably even better than The Searchers.

Pat Garrett and Billy The Kid is flawed to fuck but it has a serious charm and a weirdness about it. Which is why it's my favourite.

Escape plan. Meh, very tired "action" film, that comes across more like one of those boring, middle-of-the-road tv programs stretched out to a film more than anything else. Maybe if yer bored out of you mind, some evening d/l it. Unless you find something better, obviously. 4/10 tops.

Pontypool. Virus strikes Ontario town, most of the action takes place off-stage as a talk DJ and his producer deal with increasingly bizarre reports. But you do get to see the infected and their Zombie like behaviour.

MV5BMTYyNzUxMzc1MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDE3MDM3Mg@@._V1_SY317_CR5,0,214,317_.jpg

Captain Phillips.

Excellent. Tom Hanks will probably get the Oscar, but the pirates were great too.

f28a474628eff361d9_hgm6bxwoc.jpg
this will probably get lots of awards and that but it was far from great - the score was awful, i'm tired of that handheld choppy camera style an i think it would have worked better with a less recognisable actor in the main role. hanks was alright but he was just playing tom hanks. i didn't get a sense of the character. the leader of the pirates was much more interesting

TOP MOVIE TIP.

Nobody takes your ticket in the Odeon Portlaoise..you can just stroll straight in.
Escape plan. Meh, very tired "action" film, that comes across more like one of those boring, middle-of-the-road tv programs stretched out to a film more than anything else. Maybe if yer bored out of you mind, some evening d/l it. Unless you find something better, obviously. 4/10 tops.
Great review!

Especially appreciate the marks outta 10ness

this will probably get lots of awards and that but it was far from great - the score was awful, i'm tired of that handheld choppy camera style an i think it would have worked better with a less recognisable actor in the main role. hanks was alright but he was just playing tom hanks. i didn't get a sense of the character. the leader of the pirates was much more interesting

Yeah, that's all fair enough, but it still worked fine for me. Hanks is never that interesting really, and I agree that a cast of complete unknowns would have been better. I was still fairly gripped for the most part.

As posted in the Halloween thread.

Let's Scare Jessica To Death (1971)
Quite convincing TVM that featured in the ABC Movie Of The Week slot.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Night Train Murders (1975)
Aka Late Night Trains / Last Stop On The Night Train etc.
Macha Meril, as "The Lady On The Train" is the star of this seasonal, fun for all ages, thriller.
Yes, it rehashes the plot from "Last House On The Left" but it's done effectively and brutally. Lisa and Margaret don't stand a chance against Blackie, Curly and beautiful, sexy Lady. I particularly like the inventive use of the phallic knife. The final third of the film, where the killers meet the victim's parents is predictably implausible but gratifying nonetheless.
Demis Roussos' epic song which accompanies the opening and closing credits is wonderfully insensitive and inappropriate.
I'd love to see this on Christmas Day television.

Prom Night (1980)
Effectively scary and suspense-filled slasher from the golden era.

For Halloween I watched:

The Fog (the original of course)
The Satanic Rites of Dracula
An Episode of BEASTS (the Nigel Kneale Series) - Episode was the 'Baby'
The Last Simpsons Treehouse of Horror
Trick R Treat

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back