What movie did you watch last night? (21 Viewers)

I watched The Innkeepers and Sinister. Both exceeded my expectations. The cast, performances and general tone of The Innkeepers really worked for me, though felt like they sort of dropped the ending.
Sinister was good, scared the living bejesus out of me. I thought it would be awful, but it was not.

Yeah Ti West did the same with House of the Devil too.

I got this on DVD for my BDAY:
mid-charleysaysdvd.jpg

Its a collection of British Public Information Films from the 70's. Some great stuff on starring now dead celeb pedos, the guy who played Darth Vader among others.
Anyone else traumatized by this as a child:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Also watched :
blackwidow.jpg

Very Cheesey but enjoyable TV movie directed by Dan Cutis (of Dark Shadows fame) - it reminded me a lot of a Kolchak episode.

Mama: Horror film directed by Andres Muschietti, Guillermo del Toro is executive producer. Father is bankrupt, kills business partners & wife. Brings daughters into woods but something stops him from killing them. Five years later the two (now) feral girls are found. They are adopted by uncle Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and his partner Jessica Chastain. But has something followed them from the forest... 7/10.

Mama-2013-starring-Jessica-Chastain.jpg

Yeah, The Innkeepers is the only Ti West film I've seen so far, though I have House of the Devil lined up for later on. Looking forward to that Tom Noonan action.

Last night I watched Orphan

24135.jpg

It's weird, because I haven't read a bad review anywhere, so I anticipated it being really good. And it's not that its not good, but I certainly didn't enjoy it. One of those horror movies that would probably work well with a younger audience, but to me it just seemed... I don't know, boring? I thought all of the performances were great, actually, and the story was fine, good tone, looked great, but I don't know. Just left me a bit cold in the end.

I also think they made a mistake by focusing so heavily on their being a twist, in their marketing. You can figure things out pretty quickly if you're looking out for it, and also it wasn't THAT big of a twist (not that there needs to be, simplicity is key but if you're selling it as a THIS WILL SHOCK YOU, then you best follow through) so it just felt a bit underwhelming. Honestly, I think it might have been better without that twist... hmm.

Interestingly, I think after watching The Innkeepers, one of the things that bugged me about Orphan (not that I'm implying any connection whatsoever beyond this observation, I know they're completely different movies) was how utterly humourless it was. I think since I've been hitting the horror pretty hard lately, I'm just waiting for something that has a good sense of humour and fun about it, but still manages to be scary and naturalistic without being camp. Someone find me that movie.

Mama: Horror film directed by Andres Muschietti, Guillermo del Toro is executive producer. Father is bankrupt, kills business partners & wife. Brings daughters into woods but something stops him from killing them. Five years later the two (now) feral girls are found. They are adopted by uncle Nikolaj Coster-Waldau and his partner Jessica Chastain. But has something followed them from the forest... 7/10.

Mama-2013-starring-Jessica-Chastain.jpg
man, that's some spoiler filled synopsis there buddy!

Well, on quite a few people's recommendation, I watched The House of the Devil this afternoon.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I thought it was really good, I really like his sense of humour in his film-making. I do think that he sort of drops the ball towards the end of this movie, as he kind of does with the Innkeepers. Like.. I don't know, he spends such a huge chunk of both movies building everything up so slowly - which I really enjoy - and although I'm not against the idea of his apparently characteristic action packed last half hour, I think with such a successful build up and with such good atmosphere, the pay off sort of doesn't equal the build up... or something. Ti West doesn't give enough credence to his own ideas, I think.

Additional thoughts: Wanted more Tom Noonan.

Still, its a great film. I give it a 7.5/10

Sound Of My Voice: journalist and GF infiltrate Cult, hoping to make a documentary about it. Cult Guru claims to be from the future. Quite good thriller, 7/10.

Sound_of_my_Voice_poster.jpg

Bloodmyth: office workers head off to darkest Kent for a team building survivalist course. But theres someone else in the woods. A serial killer is stalking them. After the first killing they find what looks like a shrine? Are they being sacrificed? Good, 6/10.

MV5BNzY3MDM3ODkyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzk1MTEyMw@@._V1_SY317_CR8,0,214,317_.jpg

Battleground.
Six heavily armed bank robbers are hunted through forest by a deranged Vietnam vet. Silly rubbish really, but if there's nothing better on telly, worth a punt.

I also liked the script, the cast, the set pieces, the cinematography, the pace, the action, the editing and all the other things that made it a genuinely great movie. Tarantino's best along with Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown.

No love for Kill Bill? Saw Django during the week. It was grand, but way too long and a bit too silly, especially folowing Inglorious Basterds, which was also quite silly. Would like to see him do something half serious again.

My Favourite Tarantino...

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2
3. Reservoir Dogs
4. Inglorious Basterds
5. Jackie Brown (could be higher - its pretty great)
6. Django

the-long-days-dying-1968-david-hemmings-1bc2b.jpg

The Long Day's Dying (1968)
Very odd ball War film about 3 British Paras behind enemy lines. Stars David Hemmings - reminded me a bit of
the Peter Watkins film Gladiators (but on a smaller scale).

MV5BMjIzNTA0OTIxNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzA3MTM2Nw@@._V1_SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

The ABCs of Death (2012)
26 short films by different directors about murder/death each based on a letter of the alphabet. Its a little hit or miss but over all its really enjoyable and a pretty novel idea.
Good thing the Tokyo Gore Police guy got Z as that was a hard act to follow...

walking%20tall%2073.jpg

Walking Tall (1973)
Enjoyable biopic film of legendary Sheriff/vigilante Buford Pusser - stars the always great Joe Don Baker.

cockneys-vs-zombies-banner.jpg

Cockneys vs Zombies (2012)
Way better than I expected (unlike that Cast of Eastenders vs Vampires crap) - Enjoyable violent non-sense as a
group of wide boys are joined by the residents of an OAP home to take on the hordes - the oldies inc Bricktop, Honor Blackman, Richard Briers and the guy from Lovejoy.

Head. The Monkees film. Good and annoying in equal parts.
tumblr_lmtmee2JoL1qbxe18o1_400.jpg

John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness. Atmospheric siege/satanic horror movie. Let down by a weak script and wooden cast.
220px-Prince_of_darkness.jpg

Who Can Kill a Child. Euro horror about a couple stranded on a island full of murderous children. Disturbing.
Who-Can-Kill-A-Child-DVD-Art-e1306850725615.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back