What movie did you watch last night? (26 Viewers)

full of plot holes but enjoyable enough
the_town_12892527299842.jpg

Saw NEDS and Blue Valentine.

British-Movies-UK-Film-Neds-Poster-e1289264928933.jpg

NEDS (thumbs up) -- Sad and entertaining at the same time despite the nearly heavy handed conclusion. It was set in the 70s but still I reminds me how damn happy I'm not a teenager any more. Jesus. To be honest I could have used some subtitles but after about 25 minutes my hear adjusted a bit. I still found the dialogue a but difficult to follow so I'm going to have to watch it again because I know I was missing good jokes. The theatre was laughing, which made it even hard to decipher for me. It was like when i watched Trainspotting for the first time in the theatre -- I got maybe 80% of it. I hate not understanding, especially if it's that funny.

blue-valentine-poster.jpg

Blue Valentine (thumbs up) -- Great performances and not what I expected. It slightly reminded me of the movie Closer. Only because it was not what anyone going in expected and I could tell it made them uncomfortable. I thought the women next to me were going to leave. The PR alludes to romance and while it's there it's also not. Realistic and slightly crushing. I thought I'd walk out all weepy (since I've been a bit homesick) instead I was smiling saying to myself... thank fuck.

Saw NEDS and Blue Valentine.

British-Movies-UK-Film-Neds-Poster-e1289264928933.jpg

NEDS (thumbs up) -- Sad and entertaining at the same time despite the nearly heavy handed conclusion. It was set in the 70s but still I reminds me how damn happy I'm not a teenager any more. Jesus. To be honest I could have used some subtitles but after about 25 minutes my hear adjusted a bit. I still found the dialogue a but difficult to follow so I'm going to have to watch it again because I know I was missing good jokes. The theatre was laughing, which made it even hard to decipher for me. It was like when i watched Trainspotting for the first time in the theatre -- I got maybe 80% of it. I hate not understanding, especially if it's that funny.

blue-valentine-poster.jpg

Blue Valentine (thumbs up) -- Great performances and not what I expected. It slightly reminded me of the movie Closer. Only because it was not what anyone going in expected and I could tell it made them uncomfortable. I thought the women next to me were going to leave. The PR alludes to romance and while it's there it's also not. Realistic and slightly crushing. I thought I'd walk out all weepy (since I've been a bit homesick) instead I was smiling saying to myself... thank fuck.

Ah, I was thinking about watching Blue Valentine tonight, sounds even more intriguing now.

Was really looking forward to seeing this but Closer is just about the worst film I have ever seen. That comparison has tempered my expectations no end

I just meant that in the way that many people went into Closer thinking, yay a romantic film with good looking people but then got something they weren't expecting. I think the trailer is a slight misleading in the same way but the movie was good. I actually liked it, whereas I was going in only for Ryan Gosling (and the ukulele) so was prepared to suffer the romantic bit. Went in with low expectations and came out better than predicted. Realism is more moving than cliche fluff in my book.

I just meant that in the way that many people went into Closer thinking, yay a romantic film with good looking people but then got something they weren't expecting. I think the trailer is a slight misleading in the same way but the movie was good. I actually liked it, whereas I was going in only for Ryan Gosling (and the ukulele) so was prepared to suffer the romantic bit. Went in with low expectations and came out better than predicted. Realism is more moving than cliche fluff in my book.

It was pretty great alright. Some of those scenes were stingingly real - the misinterpretations, the pleads. I was thankful for the breaks that the romance scenes allowed us, which they didn't overplay at all. Michelle Williams looked fantastic - no wonder Ryan Gosling got his ukulele out

It was pretty great alright. Some of those scenes were stingingly real - the misinterpretations, the pleads. I was thankful for the breaks that the romance scenes allowed us, which they didn't overplay at all. Michelle Williams looked fantastic - no wonder Ryan Gosling got his ukulele out

There were a few times where Michelle Williams's performance made me uncomfortably shift in my seat due to the shockingly realistic portrayal. One scene, I was actually muttering... "oh jesus, I know, oh I know." I left delighted that I'm single.

41%2BumUVIe3L._SL500_.jpg

This is a western with Gary Busey and Willie Nelson. Second scene or so is a midget fanning a corpse. I recommend this, partially because anything keeping Willie Nelson from making reggae albums is to be encouraged, but mostly because it's a western with Gary Busey and Willie Nelson.

Sherlock Holmes.
Good. I didn't like Downey's mumbling all the way through the film. I probably caught 60% of his lines. It got tedious but it paid off in the end.

Harry Potter and the half blood prince
Way too much CGI in this one.

heroic_trio_cover.jpg

I'm not even going to attempt to describe the plot of this, it makes no sense at all. (Something about kidnapping babies so one can be king of China or something). At various points the above three ladies fight each other and later an extremely ridiculous looking Anthony Wong. Also Maggie Cheung headbutts a skeleton, which she never did in the Police Story films.

86841-600full_snake_in_the_eagle_s_shadow_poster_large.jpg

Snake in the Eagle's Shadow. Could almost be called Sober Master, as it's pretty much the same setup as Drunken Master, Jackie Chan being taught kung fu by Simon Yuen and Hwang Jang Lee as the bad guy. And kind of strange music for a 70s kung fu film. Simon Yuen headbutts a dude.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's not quite as good as Drunken Master, but that's much like saying someone can't squint as well as Lee Van Cleef.

bone+poster.jpg

AKA Housewife. There's a lot of allegory and shit going on in this one, not subtle because they tell you as much at the start. Also there is a dog. I like my allegory delivered by a dog, preferably if the dog is a racist dog that can jump through windows. No indication of this dog being racist with a propensity for jumping through windows though. Yaphet Kotto breaks into a fancy house and threatens to rape and kill the wife if the husband doesn't go to the bank and get money for him. No headbutts involved in this.

Actually, check out this here used car ad from the start of it:

Bone is a very strange film...Iys a lot different than other Larry Cohen stuff.

Dark-Poster.jpg

This was the failed pilot for a TV series starring Leslie Nielsen as Psychic Investigator. Though its set in late 19th century it reminds me a lot of the Kolchak series. Nielson is tops as the playboy turned magician monsterhunter complete with midget assistant..

Pity this never got off the ground..

enter-the-void-poster_280x415.jpg

It succeeded on one level in that it left alasting impression, and was visually very impressive, but was far far too long and ultimately excrutiatingly tedious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back