What movie did you watch last night? (32 Viewers)

rust-never-sleeps-dvd.jpg

First of all,why is'nt this thread a sticky?

house_of_the_devil.jpg

Has a lot to recommend it.Great score,foxy heroine,genuinely spooky,an understated weirdness to the vibe baby,and a beautifully shot movie.
It was thoroughly entertaining but I feel this movie was only a gee hair away from being a proper corker.

I'm gonna check out Ti Wests' (who wrote,directed and edited it.Could be a name to watch,horror wise.)other flicks on the strength of this.

7/10(shoulda been an 8)

This
shutter-island-poster.jpg
Shutter Island.

It has a great start. there's a scene where DiCaprio and Ruffalo take a jeep to the gate of the asylum, the music builds and builds to a ridiculously overought creshendo then the gates open and a friendy guard welcomes them in. It's completely silly but it worked for me because that's exact;y what I wanted. I wanted a big overought silly gothic Hitchcockian thriller, I wanted a mystery and a hero and beautiful visuals and creshendos, red herrings, dream sequences that make your head spin all of which it has in spades, Scorsese is having a ball throwing his camera around and having doors fly open in the middle of a hurricane all the cliches are here and well handled and then it all comes to a climax and falls flat on it's face.
then

00000756sp8.jpg

Hour of the wolf
Ingmar Bergman makes a horror film. You can imagine how fucking mad and brilliant it is. Get ready to scratch that head but not as much as with other Bergman because this is actually fairly accessable fair absolutely beautiful to look at and nicely paced it clocks in at 90 minutes too which is also grand.

This
shutter-island-poster.jpg
Shutter Island.

It has a great start. there's a scene where DiCaprio and Ruffalo take a jeep to the gate of the asylum, the music builds and builds to a ridiculously overought creshendo then the gates open and a friendy guard welcomes them in. It's completely silly but it worked for me because that's exact;y what I wanted. I wanted a big overought silly gothic Hitchcockian thriller, I wanted a mystery and a hero and beautiful visuals and creshendos, red herrings, dream sequences that make your head spin all of which it has in spades, Scorsese is having a ball throwing his camera around and having doors fly open in the middle of a hurricane all the cliches are here and well handled and then it all comes to a climax and falls flat on it's face.

spoiler tags you berk

Well it's too late for me to edit it now and I honestly did try to put spoilers which is why it's edited. Spoiler doesn't work get on to Pete. Any way you'll see what I mean when you see the film and sorry it may actually be the second scene it's pretty ridiculous the musics great you'll love it.

Appologies all round, suffice to say nothing I can do will spoil it for you as Scorsese and Schoonmaker (long time Scorsese editor) have already done their best to do that for me.

kcstory.jpg

The Karen Carpenter Story.

For the second time. It was on TG4 real late, the first time I saw it it was on BBC during the day. For whatever reason both times I found it impossible to turn it off. Probably the nicest film ever made about drug abuse and anorexia. Which is it's main success and failure.

Green Zone. Spurious Use of Shakycam When Nothing is Happening to Warrant Use of Shakycam Zone more like. No plot of any substance and no action violence.

Undisputed 2. Full of fightingy goodness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back