What movie did you watch last night? (13 Viewers)

poster_the-prestige-poster-1.jpg

This complete shitbox of a movie scored 8.4 on IMDB!! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0482571/

I give it 3/10 and thats being generous.I switched it off 20 mins before the end.

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE.

What didn't you like? The ending is class but it may not have made any difference if you hated the rest.

What didn't you like? The ending is class but it may not have made any difference if you hated the rest.

Theres was no cohesion to the story.Too many ideas all slapped around the place.The way it kept jumping around aaarrrggghh.Not my cup of tea.
and as for yer man putting on a cockerny accent.It wasnt a bad accent but there was just no need.

The Prestige was a really good movie I thought, never had any trouble understanding it (and i'm the first to get lost when there's anything out of linear order in a movie).

And David Bowie is gas, 'Da, my name is Foreign Manski and I hav accent. Da'

Miami-Blues-1990.jpg

Kind of feels like someone was trying to make three different films, but ends up not making any of them properly. Some decent scenes, but not great.

jaquette.jpg

From the director of the classic Mafia vs Ninja (which I haven't seen but assume is amazing) using footage from some other film of his. Apparently by 1999, Rudy Ray Moore was getting a touch old to be putting his Hush Puppies in motherfuckers' asses, so here he just pops up occasionally to give running commentary on some fighting between Tupac from the West Side, some Shaolin types and some ninjas. Ok, not as good as either Dolemite or the actual serious fighting films where the fighters don't say things like "skanky ho" while fighting.

universalsoldier-regeneration.jpg

This is good. Even the non-fighting plot bits are well done. Dolph gets all existential and thinks about the complexities of life. Good fight between himself and Van Damme, the kind where a whole bunch of walls and windows get bust through.

Lost souls.
rather good horror about the second coming of satan. only downside is the use of "fast/choppy" shots in few places giving it the look of a music video(although, to be fair, they were few and far between)

From the director of the classic Mafia vs Ninja (which I haven't seen but assume is amazing) using footage from some other film of his. Apparently by 1999, Rudy Ray Moore was getting a touch old to be putting his Hush Puppies in motherfuckers' asses, so here he just pops up occasionally to give running commentary on some fighting between Tupac from the West Side, some Shaolin types and some ninjas. Ok, not as good as either Dolemite or the actual serious fighting films where the fighters don't say things like "skanky ho" while fighting.

Robert Tai is a crazy director - have you seen NINJA the final Duel..its a 6 parted cut into a film with the most surreal Ninja shit ever and a cool naked Kung Fu fight..

nfd1.jpg

Robert Tai is a crazy director - have you seen NINJA the final Duel..its a 6 parted cut into a film with the most surreal Ninja shit ever and a cool naked Kung Fu fight..

nfd1.jpg

No, but IMDB tells me it has music from Rambo: First Blood Part II (1985) by Jerry Goldsmith, Ghost Busters (1984) by Elmer Bernstein and Das Boot (1981) by Klaus Doldinger.

Apparently it's the source for some of the fight scenes in Shaolin Dolemite, between actual film footage and scenes filmed for it but not actually used.

It's on Play for €3.98 anyway, just ordered it there.

2008_06_09_Ong_Bak_2_mt.jpg

Fighting! Elephants! Flying knees! That three part nunchuk yoke! Back to the Future II style ending!
Fightingest film I've seen in ages. Tony Jaa should be in every film.

.|..|.|..|.|..|.|..|.|..|

Apparently there's some Double Impact style carry on and he fights himself in part 3.

King-Boxer-2.jpg

King Boxer. Contains neither kings nor boxing (there are some punches, but I don't think they count as boxing) but it does have Lo Lieh learning the arts of Kung Fu Violence and the Iron Fist technique of turning his hands red like above which must only be used for Righteous Deeds. Needless to say, it transpires that there is Kung Fu Treachery afoot (some nefarious kung fu school lads aren't following the Evil Code of Conduct Sonny Chiba was banging on about in the Street Fighter), which means Righteous Deeds need doing. Not as fightingy as a film with Tony Jaa in it, but still plenty fightingy highly entertaining.

No relation to King Boxer 2, starring Bruce Le, which is also highly entertaining, but more for its ridiculousness where everyone's favourite Bruce Lee impersonator fights midgets with afros and gold chains.

King Boxer was a huge influence on the whole Kung Fu genre and helped spread to the USA...

universal-soldier-regeneration-post.jpg

By the numbers but very entertaining Martial Arts/Action flick starring (well sort of) aging veterans of the genre JCVD (who looks to be wearing too much make up) and Dolph Lungren...After the intial Universal Soldier film they did a bunch of forgettable sequals which this film tops in every way...MMA fighter Mike Kyle is suprisingly good in a major role as is fellow fighter Andrei Arlovski (in an Arnie Terminator sorta way)..

You can really see the influence that mixed martial arts has had on the genre by no only using the fighters as actors but also incorporating the mma style of combat - there are Thai influenced strikes as well as ground movies like triangles and armbars..

If, like me, you're as thick as shit and enjoy grown men beating shit out of each other then you might enjoy this....I can't help but like VanDamme to this day unlike the aging Segal who i seem to despise in direct proportion of his ever growing waist..Dolph on the otherhand was very underused in this film but on the plus side there is NO ROMANCE AT ALL...

Dolph does a great impression of Rutger Hauer in Blade Runner in that.

Urban Justice / Renegade Justice with Seagal is worth a look, much better than most of the muck he's been in of late (Lawman aside, a neverending source of comedy). As close to Point Blank as Seagal is going to get. Looking forward to seeing him in Machete whenever that shows up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back