What movie did you watch last night? (28 Viewers)

Watched a couple more last night.

The Conjuring - decent haunted house movie. The scares come thick and fast. One of the better demonic possession movies of recent years.

The Purple Rose of Cairo - I sit on the fence with Woody Allen. Out of what I've seen of his I've disliked about as many as I've liked. I enjoyed this a lot though. Mia Farrow is great in it.

What Really Makes Katniss Stand Out? Peeta, Her Movie Girlfriend : Monkey See : NPR

Don't get me wrong: In real life, we all know couples of all gender alignments who operate in this way and in lots of other ways, whether they're male-female or two guys or two women or whatever; there's absolutely nothing about baking, physical strength, or emotional accessibility that is inherently gendered in real life for real humans with any consistency. But the movies, or at least the big movies, are different. Going by the traditional Hollywood rules, make no mistake: Peeta is a Movie Girlfriend.

Invasion Of the Body Snatchers, the 1978 Philip Kaufman remake. Donald Sutherland plays Donald Sutherland, alongside Brooke Adams, Jeff Goldblum & Leonard Nimoy. It's a rare example of a remake being better than the original. While the 1956 version is considered a bit science fiction classic, I always though that the Kaufmann version is way more unsettling and claustrophobic.

Donald Sutherland plays a health inspector in San Francisco, whose friend Brooke Adams starts to suspect that there's something weird going on with her husband. They start to realise that this change is happening to everyone in the city.

Upscaling the film to San Francisco is a brilliant idea, you can feel the city close in around them as the realise how totally fucked they are. Fall asleep and they become something else. I saw this at a really early age and it gave me reoccurring nightmares for years. Watching it last night, it was still weird enough to give me chills. Excellent film

invasion+trio.jpg

Last edited:
The way it's turned out here is more reminiscent of some bad good-ol'-boy 1976 melodrama that could have starred Jan-Michael Vincent and Joe Don Baker and involved rednecks mightily suspicious of the outsider who's come to live in their midst.

he's honestly saying this like it's a bad thing.

Ha yeah, just makes it sound great!I saw The Summit yesterday. It is great. 20 people go up a mountain, 11 come down. The film is all about this Irish lad that was one of the climbers, basically, and it's brilliant.

Saw Blue is the Warmest Colour the other day too. It's amazing, loads of lesbian ridin, yeeooooooo etc. Haha. Actually it's a great film too, the two leads are really good.

It's a rare example of a remake being better than the original. While the 1956 version is considered a bit science fiction classic, I always though that the Kaufmann version is way more unsettling and claustrophobic.

invasion+trio.jpg

I'd agree the remake is (a rare case of) better than the original, but I'd put it down more to the bloody awesome cast. The picture says it all!

Alan Partridge.

7.7 on IMDB..which I thought was gonna be overly generous.
But its a damn fine movie!Not amazing by any stretch..but well worth a watch if yer looking for some gentle amusement.

I am seeing Spike Lee's Oldboy today. Everyone can kvetch and grumble about it desecrating a classic, but not a fuck do I give.

This is just like seeing a different version of Hamlet as far as I'm concerned. Let the vengeance commence.

How was it?

Seven Psychopaths
seven-psychopaths-movie-poster.jpg

A film with as many flaws as great moments. The chemistry between the three leads is by far the best thing about the film and there are genuinely fine moments which are extremely well filmed. As far as the whole meta film making goes this is sloppy and it doesn't really work but for me, There's a great scene in which Sam Rockwell, blatantly takes the piss out of the second half of Adaptation which pretty much sums up everything wrong with Adaptation and everything right with this.

It's funny, it's entertaining and yet it's a giant mess. There are huge plot holes and things never quite link up. The main character is probably a version of the films writer Martin McDonagh and unfortunately he's just not interesting to hold the whole thing together. Which is the films major flaw. Not for the lack of trying on Colin Farrell's part, there's just not enough there to work with. As a result he fades into the background as the straight man to Christopher Walken and Sam Rockwell who are having a blast as two nut cases. It's like anyone else's Ma's Irish stew in a way. Sloppy but tasty. Great bits in it but perhaps not fully satisfying.

It's not quite as smart as it thinks it is but it has it's moments.

Side Effects
g258000000000000000b163e93da060d798a0013948045e25235bc65749.jpg

Didn't Steven Soderberg say he was quitting making films a while ago ? It's cinemas gain that he didn't because he can make things that are really clever. This is a twisty turny yarn which has strong performances throughout and never slips completely into the overdramatic or the down right silly. It's one of those films with so many interesting ideas in it that it can just jettison aspects of it's script which in themselves could be interesting films. Firstly there's the idea of the manifestations of mental illness and obsession being scarily similar secondly the idea of therapy as punishment they're here but they're just side-notes to the events of the plot. Maybe it's better that these are left in as small notes rather than fully expounded upon points. As a plot based thriller this works because of Soderbergs skill and some strong performances from Jude Law and Rooney Mara. Oh and Catherine Zeta Jones is in there too, .... for ballast I imagine. It's all nicely executed without ever being a classic. An interesting piece of well made entertainment.

Lawless

lawless_movie_poster_by_dcomp-d5c970a.jpg

Nick cave and John Hillcot re-unite for a tale of backwater hicks, violence and brotherhood, after The Proposition I mean what could go wrong ?

Well, a lot actually. There are moments in here that are cheesy plenty that are just silly Guy Pearse seems to think he's playing the toon killer (Judge Doom) from Who Framed Roger Rabbit. The shoot outs are a bit dull and unlike The Proposition the whole thing lacks tension. It's just a flat mess really, plus Shia Lebouf is in it. Enough said.

Gravity
gravity-imax-poster.jpg

First things first. It looks amazing. The effects here are stunning and there are very smart moves by director Alfonso Curon. Especially the in space no one can hear you scream idea which is brilliantly executed. It's tense, it's fast paced, it's clever it's big and it looks amazing, see this in the cinema in 3D and be amazed.

On the other hand, I suppose he has to have Sandra Bullock say things as the film goes on so that there's at least some words in there but what they have her saying is just fucking saccharine schmaltzy gibberish if ever there was a case for a film to be silent it's this. Bullock and Clooney try their best but the dialogue is just rubbish. That doesn't sink the film because it's not really about characters so much as it is about the wow effect from the feast of visuals. It looks amazing, the 3D is superb and it's mercifully brief. See it in the cinema. Or just don't bother ever seeing it.

Only God Forgives
Gosling-Only-God-Forgives-Poster.jpg

What the fuck was that ?

Okay Drive was a victory for style over substance but at least you cared about the characters. This ? What the fuck ? There are no characters. It's just 90 minutes of nicely constructed shots, violence and karaoke. To be fair I should be raving about this and I probably would be but the film has one massive flaw. Ryan Gosling simply can't play this kind of role. He's silent and brooding and that's fine but he's never menacing, creepy, hulkish, intimidating or intense enough to pull it off. Casey Affleck might have managed it, he's got that creepy affect to him, Michael Shannon could play this in his sleep and made the central character memorable. Gosling however just seemed like he's been hypnotised before each take. Only Kirsten Scott Thomas really get's a role with any bite and that's as a deplorable cow to begin with. As a result there's plenty to look at but no one to care about and since the plot could be written on a postage stamp there just isn't enough here to keep the film afloat. Niclas Winding Refn needs to give David Lynch back his props department and actually write a fucking script next time. Some critics lauded it for it's minimalism and aesthetics. For me I couldn't get passed Goslings sleepy eyed performance. He looks more dreaming than dreamy, and on that note I'm out.

Seven Psychopaths
seven-psychopaths-movie-poster.jpg

A film with as many flaws as great moments. The chemistry between the three leads is by far the best thing about the film and there are genuinely fine moments which are extremely well filmed. As far as the whole meta film making goes this is sloppy and it doesn't really work but for me, There's a great scene in which Sam Rockwell, blatantly takes the piss out of the second half of Adaptation which pretty much sums up everything wrong with Adaptation and everything right with this.

It's funny, it's entertaining and yet it's a giant mess. There are huge plot holes and things never quite link up. The main character is probably a version of the films writer Martin McDonagh and unfortunately he's just not interesting to hold the whole thing together. Which is the films major flaw. Not for the lack of trying on Colin Farrell's part, there's just not enough there to work with. As a result he fades into the background as the straight man to Christopher Walken and Sam Rockwell who are having a blast as two nut cases. It's like anyone else's Ma's Irish stew in a way. Sloppy but tasty. Great bits in it but perhaps not fully satisfying.

It's not quite as smart as it thinks it is but it has it's moments.

Side Effects
g258000000000000000b163e93da060d798a0013948045e25235bc65749.jpg

Didn't Steven Soderberg say he was quitting making films a while ago ? It's cinemas gain that he didn't because he can make things that are really clever. This is a twisty turny yarn which has strong performances throughout and never slips completely into the overdramatic or the down right silly. It's one of those films with so many interesting ideas in it that it can just jettison aspects of it's script which in themselves could be interesting films. Firstly there's the idea of the manifestations of mental illness and obsession being scarily similar secondly the idea of therapy as punishment they're here but they're just side-notes to the events of the plot. Maybe it's better that these are left in as small notes rather than fully expounded upon points. As a plot based thriller this works because of Soderbergs skill and some strong performances from Jude Law and Rooney Mara. Oh and Catherine Zeta Jones is in there too, .... for ballast I imagine. It's all nicely executed without ever being a classic. An interesting piece of well made entertainment.

Lawless

lawless_movie_poster_by_dcomp-d5c970a.jpg

Nick cave and John Hillcot re-unite for a tale of backwater hicks, violence and brotherhood, after The Proposition I mean what could go wrong ?

Well, a lot actually. There are moments in here that are cheesy plenty that are just silly Guy Pearse seems to think he's playing the toon killer (Judge Doom) from Who Framed Roger Rabbit. The shoot outs are a bit dull and unlike The Proposition the whole thing lacks tension. It's just a flat mess really, plus Shia Lebouf is in it. Enough said.

Gravity
gravity-imax-poster.jpg

First things first. It looks amazing. The effects here are stunning and there are very smart moves by director Alfonso Curon. Especially the in space no one can hear you scream idea which is brilliantly executed. It's tense, it's fast paced, it's clever it's big and it looks amazing, see this in the cinema in 3D and be amazed.

On the other hand, I suppose he has to have Sandra Bullock say things as the film goes on so that there's at least some words in there but what they have her saying is just fucking saccharine schmaltzy gibberish if ever there was a case for a film to be silent it's this. Bullock and Clooney try their best but the dialogue is just rubbish. That doesn't sink the film because it's not really about characters so much as it is about the wow effect from the feast of visuals. It looks amazing, the 3D is superb and it's mercifully brief. See it in the cinema. Or just don't bother ever seeing it.

Only God Forgives
Gosling-Only-God-Forgives-Poster.jpg

What the fuck was that ?

Okay Drive was a victory for style over substance but at least you cared about the characters. This ? What the fuck ? There are no characters. It's just 90 minutes of nicely constructed shots, violence and karaoke. To be fair I should be raving about this and I probably would be but the film has one massive flaw. Ryan Gosling simply can't play this kind of role. He's silent and brooding and that's fine but he's never menacing, creepy, hulkish, intimidating or intense enough to pull it off. Casey Affleck might have managed it, he's got that creepy affect to him, Michael Shannon could play this in his sleep and made the central character memorable. Gosling however just seemed like he's been hypnotised before each take. Only Kirsten Scott Thomas really get's a role with any bite and that's as a deplorable cow to begin with. As a result there's plenty to look at but no one to care about and since the plot could be written on a postage stamp there just isn't enough here to keep the film afloat. Niclas Winding Refn needs to give David Lynch back his props department and actually write a fucking script next time. Some critics lauded it for it's minimalism and aesthetics. For me I couldn't get passed Goslings sleepy eyed performance. He looks more dreaming than dreamy, and on that note I'm out.

This shit should be on the main page.

The Canyons. Woowee that's a stinker. Every bit as bad as they say. An ineptly made piece of shit. Surprisingly Lindsey Lohan's performance is one of the least rubbish things about this.
The-Canyons-FINAL-POSTER.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back