What movie did you watch last night? (14 Viewers)

Saw Tapeheads last night. Awful Cusack/Robbins sub-Blues Brothers "comedy" about two slacker guys who make it big in music videos. Badly put together, frail jokes, terrible script, terrible direction. It's like if the Mighty Conchords had been made by Ed Wood, but not in a good way. The famous musician cameos couldn't save it. So amateurish, dunno how those guys ever go work again.

There were three other films on that Doctor Dream DVD-R. Watched all of them today.

Phantom Of Hollywood (1974)
Reasonable TVM with Skye Aubrey and lots of old Hollywood stars. Has a Phantom of The Opera-vibe.

The internationally famous Worldwide Studios (really MGM) has hit hard times and is forced to sell it's back lot to Hollywood property developers. The trouble is someone keeps killing off the site surveyors. The studio chiefs then learn of the legend of a masked man who lives on the lot and is sworn to protect it from harm.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Deadly Dream (1971)
This is more like it. Lloyd Bridges and Janet Leigh. Is it a dream? Is it reality? The first ABC Movie Of The Week.

A scientist keeps having dreams that he is marked for murder by a mysterious tribunal for something that he's not aware that he's done, and that his wife and his friends are part of the conspiracy. Soon he's not sure which is the dream and which is reality.

Live Again, Die Again (1974)
This was an ordeal. Good cast [Vera Miles, Walter Pidgeon, Mike Farrell and Donna Mills] but a pedestrian script.

After being cryogenically frozen for more than 30 years, a woman wakes to find her husband an old man and her children older than she is. She also wakes to find that her daughter is crazy and wants her dead.

Strangely Donna Mills doesn't look much older now - almost 40 years on.

Hellraiser - Ok. Not great. Some good effects but the script is dreadful. 6/10

Hellraiser 2: an incoherent mess with some really shoddy effects. 3/10

Hellraiser 3: the worst 1/10

Pinhead's makeup gets less and less convincing as the series progresses. By the third film it looks like a cheap rubber mask. Rubbish

Hellraiser - Ok. Not great. Some good effects but the script is dreadful. 6/10

Hellraiser 2: an incoherent mess with some really shoddy effects. 3/10

Hellraiser 3: the worst 1/10

Pinhead's makeup gets less and less convincing as the series progresses. By the third film it looks like a cheap rubber mask. Rubbish

I havent seen number 3..

1/10?

hahaha

I'm gonna have to do the Hellraiser 3fer..its a great idea!

lol

Loved the first Hellraiser. Why did you bother watching all 3? Good weekend, yeah??

Saw Gravity on Friday. Really liked it. What's going on Bernie , we usually agree on things?

Last edited:
Loved the first Hellraiser. Why did you bother watching all 3? Good weekend, yeah??

Saw Gravity on Friday. Really liked it. What's going on Bernie , we usually agree on things?
Wanted a Clive Barker night. Had Nightbreed as well but I forgot my hard drive. We watched his short films too. One of them features Barker dancing around with an erection for 20 minutes,

I have re-considered my position on Gravity. I't s an impressive movie.

Why did you bother watching all 3?

Isn't there more than 3?

*googles*

Apparently there are 9! I only watched as far as 3 or 4 as I don't think they had made the others by the time I lost interest. Fucking hell, I wouldn't have thought they could have milked it much more than that but 9!

According to the Wiki page, they're remaking the first one with Clive Barker directing and Doug Bradley starring as Pinhead but what's the point in that? TV series too apparently.

Isn't there more than 3?

*googles*

Apparently there are 9! I only watched as far as 3 or 4 as I don't think they had made the others by the time I lost interest. Fucking hell, I wouldn't have thought they could have milked it much more than that but 9!

According to the Wiki page, they're remaking the first one with Clive Barker directing and Doug Bradley starring as Pinhead but what's the point in that? TV series too apparently.
Yeah, I was surprised myself. I only got to 3 first time around.

That remake sounds utterly pointless. I imagine the original is as close to Barker's vision of the book as he's going to get. Obviously this new one will have a bigger budget but it will lose the depressing, grimy seediness which makes the original unique for better or worse. Anyone read the book?

Wanted a Clive Barker night. Had Nightbreed as well but I forgot my hard drive. We watched his short films too. One of them features Barker dancing around with an erection for 20 minutes,

I have re-considered my position on Gravity. I't s an impressive movie.
So Nightbreed when it came out in the picture, I think it was 1988. Remember enjoying it a lot.

Jaysus, had no idea there were that many. We have the puzzlebox box-set in ours, which compiles the first 3. Although I haven't bothered watching beyond the first.

The Way Way Back. I thought this was ok but not great. Sam Rockwell's character was a bit of a dick. Were we supposed to think he's cool? He hangs out with teenagers. Steve Carrell's character was far more interesting. The similarly themed Kings of Summer was much better.

Frances Ha. I can't believe it took me so long to see it and of course I loved it. It totally made my evening and now I just want to listen to this song. "Sometimes it's good to do what you're supposed to do when you're supposed to do it."

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back