What movie did you watch last night? (25 Viewers)

Watched The Campaign last night, good movie about the absurdity of politics with some laughs to boot. Followed by The Flight, different to what I expected, enjoyable. Finished up with Looper which I knew nothing about, that was good too. I'm bloody knackered this morning though after all 3 of them

Stuck this on at 11 last night not realising it was over 2.5 hours long. Had to be up at 6am so only managed to get halfway through. Gonna finish it tonight. Really liked what I saw. Lots of great beard action in this movie too.
220px-ZeroDarkThirty2012Poster.jpg

tumblr_mduwvjy3m51ryanbvo1_500.jpg

Watched The Devil Inside last night. Some pretty creepy set pieces sellotaped together with an inexplicable plot and some of the worst acting i've ever seen. If you're in the right mood it's really entertaining!

It has no ending though

Saw The Iron Lady on TV. Don't know why I made it to the end, didn't like it. Would have been much better served as a good doco. It was like someone got the rights to a Thather film and so had to make something.

Can anyone recommend some good evil girl movies?? Obviously, not Carrie, but in that area. TNKS.

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
before_the_devil_knows_you+re_dead+poster.jpg

Like Killing Them Softly this is one of those missed oppertuinity films in which a fine opening hour is let down by the final act being a little to drawn out and a little bit too low key to really thrill. On the other hand it's well acted, nicely paced and at times quite affecting. One of thrillers that doesn't thrill or drama which is slightly too implausible to fully go along with. Critics of course will say it "superior" or "mature" but as I've said before and will probably have to again it would be better off sacrificing a little bit of it's superiority and maturity to really do what it's supposed to which is thrill. The characters - Phillip Seymour Hoffmann as a desperate real estate agent, Ethan Hawke as his desperate brother, Marissa Tomei as a sulking pair of tits and ass and that's all are all dislikable, needy and annoying, but yes they are believable and authentic, but not so needy or so annoying or so anything that you feel an emotional response to them except maybe pity and slight disgust. Of course the film is nearly saved by Albert Finney who is brilliant as an emotionally disconnected father/ recently berieved husband but he gets the least screen time of anyone though he really should be the crux of the entire story and as a result there is little tension in it's finale and frankly I was hoping for the demise of certain characters who where never actually going to get theirs which is disappointing. Admirable but ultimately unrewarding. Like when you see a 25 year old going out with an academic in their 50s.

Saw The Iron Lady on TV. Don't know why I made it to the end, didn't like it. Would have been much better served as a good doco. It was like someone got the rights to a Thather film and so had to make something.

god it was fucking odious.

Watched two films over the weekend.

Fantastic Mr. Fox. Not sure why I didn't bother to check this out until now. Perhaps because I figured kids film, boring. It was ace. I love Wes Anderson and make no apologies for it.

Neil Young: Journeys. Not enough interview stuff with him but some good live stuff for the hardcore fan. A lot of the tunes were from Le Noise, which I've never actually listened to. 3 people in front of me got up and left, possibly because of this. Which was pretty silly because the next three tunes in a row were fantastic versions of After the Goldrush, Hey Hey My My and I Believe in You. I chortled.

What's your damage, Washingcattle?
I've always wanted to say, "You were a girl scout cookie before you met me!"

BEST MOVIE. Dear Diary, my teen angst bullshit now has a body count. This has reminded me to re-watch, thanks Jill!

Coriolanus
coriolanus.jpg

A tale the bard did scribe which ne'er reached, say the critics, the summit of his works and thusly the artisans and the worthy men of modernity did not see fit to elevate or moreover to plum it's depths and intricacies to give it light and legs with which to dance upon the silver screen. Too dark and filled with the murk of all to recent pasts is this work. And yet it is in this murk, this bleakness which makes the tale such a joyous insidious and profound bastard to behold now in the score first century. Entrusted with the security of Rome Coriolanus must do as soldiers must. Be vigilant of all antagonists, be they foreign or domestic. This of course weighs heavily upon the man. Scarred as much as glorified and feared and hated as much as revered he is the darling of no one except his fellow warriors. When he is chosen to ascend (if that can be pronounced as the correct word) to the position of senator he is placed in great peril. He knows not the people and cares not to know, but alas is charged with being their vocal chords, their tongue in parliament. Alas these garments and the duties which accompany them sit like a hairshirt upon his shoulders. One cannot breed a hound for the purposes of selfish invulnerability and then remove its chains and expect it to coddle the children which it once scolded with raised voice and strength of jaw. and so in Coriolanus we can find all to many parallels with histories which are not long past and sit fresh in graves which the shocks of now shall always shift the plates of the earth and deliver once again their coffins to the top soil anew. In Coriolanus see thee Adolf Hitler see thee Sadam Huesain even see thee Michael Collins see thee all the pain of civil war and the distrust and the hatred of those who claim protectorate over thee while synchronously usher in their own tyranny. And well they make foes of their own country men and martyrs of their sons.

Ralph Fiennes a player who, so profoundly believeth in the truth of Coriolanus, that it is he who wears the twin crowns of star and of architect of this vision and to him high praise must go as he wears both of these robes with aplomb. His countenance and gait and strength and turmoil as the titular soldier here is enough to make thy tremble and to envy at his control fervour, all at once human and lion and dragon, he demands thine gaze at every turn and pounds and shakes the screen with sheer presence. Taking the eyes cue from Paul Greengrass's Bloody Sunday as much as from Micheal Winterbottoms Welcome to Sarejevo and in some key moments Apocalypse Now - Coriolanus is as much McBeth as he is Colonel Kurtz. and here I also must lionise the pen of John Logan as he who hath made put an authentic, unique yet discernible voice to Gladiator once again he flourishes in using or contemporary machinations on the most aged of subject. He succeeds admirably in creating a Rome graced with ancient famine as with Sky News and the ominous and all to pertinent presence of armed infantry upon the humble and desperate cities streets. Where hordes mass demanding at first glance nothing more than bread but in the undergrowth they demand the crown as well. The cast of butresses such as Gerard Butler as a stoic and embattled foe, plays above his normal plane as do the steadfast Brian Cox and James Nesbitt as opponent politicians so too does Jessica Chastain as Coriolanus spouse. In fact all the recitals are excellent. Vannessa Redgrave of course is as familiar with the words of the bard as she is with her own flesh and so her scenes with Fiennes resound with the assurance of victory bells even through the bleakest winter and the fog of human insecurity and pride. It is these two who shine as broken hearts at the median of the film. Glorious and bloody, I advocate this muchly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back